User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine under bed storage mod

Since we got the 2150RB in December we've been organizing and finding homes for our RV stuff. The under bed storage box is awkward to use, 19" deep, tight quarters, lift the mattress. What to put in there? After some talk we came up with a fix. Under the lid there's now a 6" deep tray that will be great for folded clothes. On each side we've got a 20" x 20" drawer that should work well for shoes, boots, etc. The storage around and above the bed looks good but isn't very useful day to day. She's happy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed storage.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	32510

To be expected the box wasn't square and they used flat head wood screws in the non-countersunk lift brackets, just asking to snag clothes so I fixed that. The drawer slides aren't full extension so there's 3" more drawer you can't see.
    Last edited by 2ACDogs; 03-06-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: correction
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! After dropping in a Purple Hybrid mattress in our Solitude, I ended up installing two drawers to make the storage space way more functional as well!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice mod. Congrats!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great idea! I added it to my list of projects once ours arrives next week...we can't wait to get it.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wanted to do this but DW is not convinced she would like it? We do keep our camper lounge chairs under there, guess we could find another home for them. One thing I noticed, most people don't know but the lift struts are supposed to be turned around the other direction. That way the seals will stay lubricated for the piston. Someone pointed that out to me years ago on my tonneau cover.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Since we got the 2150RB in December we've been organizing and finding homes for our RV stuff. The under bed storage box is awkward to use, 19" deep, tight quarters, lift the mattress. What to put in there? After some talk we came up with a fix. Under the lid there's now a 6" deep tray that will be great for folded clothes. On each side we've got a 20" x 20" drawer that should work well for shoes, boots, etc. The storage around and above the bed looks good but isn't very useful day to day. She's happy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed storage.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	32510

To be expected the box wasn't square and they used flat head wood screws in the non-countersunk lift brackets, just asking to snag clothes so I fixed that. The drawer slides aren't full extension so there's 3" more drawer you can't see.
    Nice work! Did you build the drawers from scratch?
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New Tamper View Post
    I've always wanted to do this but DW is not convinced she would like it? We do keep our camper lounge chairs under there, guess we could find another home for them. One thing I noticed, most people don't know but the lift struts are supposed to be turned around the other direction. That way the seals will stay lubricated for the piston. Someone pointed that out to me years ago on my tonneau cover.
    I noticed the struts. These struts spend 99.99% of their life horizontal bouncing down the road not upside down so maybe not a big deal. I'll switch them someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    Nice work! Did you build the drawers from scratch?
    Yes, 1x8 pine sides & back and 1x10 fronts and luan bottom. Not anticipating much weight in them. You can't see it but I used a jig saw to carefully cut the openings out and used the piece on the drawer front. They fit flush the only thing you see is the handle. The drawers could have been a couple of inches deeper, there's 23" from the side of the box to the wall but I didn't want to have problems getting them in and out. I used inexpensive bottom mount drawer slides because they're just easier.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4