User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starlink or ???

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you can do it all on-line. From the account page, can turn on/off.

I signed up for Mobile roam which is regional to the continent according to their map:

"Option to pause service is available only to Mobile (Regional/Global) and Mobile Priority service plans.

Your service can be paused or un-paused at any time on your account page."

If you pause your service before the end of your current billing period, you will still receive service for the remainder of your billing period. When you un-pause your service, the monthly subscription fee will be charged immediately, on a pro-rated basis dependent on the plan monthly cost and time remaining on your pre-determined account billing cycle.

If you wish to not be billed for the first months service you will have 14 days from your Starlink's ship date to initiate a pause. If a pause is initiated after the billing statement has generated in your account, your Starlink service will be scheduled to pause the following month. "
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We dont camp in no service areas.... so needing Musklink isn't an necessity. With our setup (vzw hotlink using a ladder/pole mounted Yagi on a high strength booster) my DW can VPN into her work from any CG we visit that has 1+ bars. Which also means we get internet access too in those areas.

IMO, having to have cell phone/service anyways for everyday phone communications with the current tech of "enhanced" 4G almost everywhere of atleast 1+ bars, we didnt want to pony up for another monthly payment for an ISP + one-time equipment cost when our setup works great and we already own it.

So +1, for ??? for us.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    We dont camp in no service areas.... so needing Musklink isn't an necessity. With our setup (vzw hotlink using a ladder/pole mounted Yagi on a high strength booster) my DW can VPN into her work from any CG we visit that has 1+ bars. Which also means we get internet access too in those areas.

IMO, having to have cell phone/service anyways for everyday phone communications with the current tech of "enhanced" 4G almost everywhere of atleast 1+ bars, we didnt want to pony up for another monthly payment for an ISP + one-time equipment cost when our setup works great and we already own it.

So +1, for ??? for us.
    Starlink will allow me to drop one of my cell phone services - VZ or T-Mobile. Since VZ told me to go find another carrier because I can no longer receive 1 bar of 4G after having 7 VZ phones for 25 years in the same house and they have no plans on improving service here in NH, I have another option to use at home. And $150/mo is less than our monthly military discount plan with VZ. T-Mobile's 55 plan is $75/mo and I get 2-3 bars of 5G and/or 4G. In all but two of the 40 campground locations we stayed at last year, VZ was pretty near invisible and we used T-Mobile for work.

We stayed at Custer State Park and there are ZERO bars of any carrier there. Had to drive to a park restaurant to get any service.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Starlink will allow me to drop one of my cell phone services - VZ or T-Mobile. Since VZ told me to go find another carrier because I can no longer receive 1 bar of 4G after having 7 VZ phones for 25 years in the same house and they have no plans on improving service here in NH, I have another option to use at home. And $150/mo is less than our monthly military discount plan with VZ. T-Mobile's 55 plan is $75/mo and I get 2-3 bars of 5G and/or 4G. In all but two of the 40 campground locations we stayed at last year, VZ was pretty near invisible and we used T-Mobile for work.

We stayed at Custer State Park and there are ZERO bars of any carrier there. Had to drive to a park restaurant to get any service.
    Agree that VZW doesnt do a good job of investing into existing areas, and that talking to them (or other carriers from past experience) can be pointless since they are mostly interested in that "new" monthly service agreement. Which is why one hardly sees discounts on service and more on equipment purchases associated with it.

In our experience, T-Mobile wasn't any different. Although its been 10 years or so, we had to get legal help to get out of a T-Mobile trial and wont ever go back. Thats why we stuck with VZW (also military disc) for 20+ yrs and ended up finding a way to make our service work with sketchy 1+ bars in the first place which eventually lead to our using it in CGs with the same situations.

Im sure Musklink has its dissenters too..... just like Hughesnet. Thats why we plan our stays around CGs with "some" VZW coverage and have been able to make it work each time
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had mine for over a year. It was a game-changer. I use it most times. You need a clear sky view, just like any satellite dish. The app shows you obstructions to find a good spot before setting up. I am full-time. I use my hot spot when it is a short stop or overnight. Equipment is usually $599 plus shipping. Watch for sales at Home Depot or Best Buy. I helped two friends purchase from Best Buy @ $499 with no shipping. Monthly cost is $150 with no contract.
    Kelley
    Full-timer on the road East
    2021 Imagine XLS 2670MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they have options for part timers? Say you wanted to take an extended trip and work along the way but you still have a home base that you don’t want to give up.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I do see there is a pay as you go plan. I’ll check that out.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of us who are not full timers, is it possible to use Starlink at your bricks and sticks and then take it along in the RV when you go on the road?
    2021 Solitude 310GK - Onan 5500 Gen / 300W Solar / Dual pane Windows
    2021 Ford F450 Lariat
    Anderson Hitch
    Tom & Marsha

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGood! View Post
    For those of us who are not full timers, is it possible to use Starlink at your bricks and sticks and then take it along in the RV when you go on the road?
    I'm not a StarLink user, but from what I've read, it is anchored to a service location unless you pay for the RV/mobile plan (more expensive, of course).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGood! View Post
    Yes but as @Second Chance mentioned, you'll need to use the mobile plan. In Canada, its $20 more a month. The other advantage with that plan is you can stop it and restart it anytime. Stopping it is not instant in the sense that it stop at the end of the bill cycle. However,, if you're the type of RVer that travels to a destination and stay there for weeks, you could get by with using the regular plan and simply moving your address. Some have been able to get away with it. When we travel, we are at a different spot every other day so we opted for the mobile plan and keep our regular internet provider at home.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast