User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize in advance and don’t want to hijack this thread. I recently had a semi-truck decide to total our bumper pull camper, fortunately everyone came out unscathed in a situation that could have gone horribly wrong. I pull with a 2018 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.6 Duramax 4WD and was pulling a 32’ keystone travel trailer that weighed about 5500#. I have no doubt in my mind that my truck was instrumental in saving our lives with the way it handled the maneuvering and the impact.

With that being said we are looking to replace our unit with either a Reflection 337RLS or a 303RLS. I purchased the GM new and strangely enough it does not have the GVWR sticker inside the door frame, all it has is the Tire and Loading Info. The truck does have the towing package (does not have the fifth wheel package) and I have never towed a fifth wheel.

I do not understand all of the calculations that you knowledgeable folks were discussing above. I get the general idea but all of the math computations has left me in the dust. From the Duramax Diesel Owners Manual Supplement it shows for K2500 4WD, Crew Cab, Standard Box a max trailer weight of 13,500#.

With my knowledge that is all I have to go with as a number. What am I missing and not taking into consideration since I assume the Reflection 337RLS is probably more than I want to have behind my truck. After that wreck I don’t feel comfortable getting too close to the towing limits since I feel that lighter weight likely saved our lives, basically we maneuvered our truck like crazy to keep that semi from hitting us full force.

Thank you
    Tim

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_av8r View Post
    I apologize in advance and don’t want to hijack this thread. I recently had a semi-truck decide to total our bumper pull camper, fortunately everyone came out unscathed in a situation that could have gone horribly wrong. I pull with a 2018 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.6 Duramax 4WD and was pulling a 32’ keystone travel trailer that weighed about 5500#. I have no doubt in my mind that my truck was instrumental in saving our lives with the way it handled the maneuvering and the impact.

With that being said we are looking to replace our unit with either a Reflection 337RLS or a 303RLS. I purchased the GM new and strangely enough it does not have the GVWR sticker inside the door frame, all it has is the Tire and Loading Info. The truck does have the towing package (does not have the fifth wheel package) and I have never towed a fifth wheel.

I do not understand all of the calculations that you knowledgeable folks were discussing above. I get the general idea but all of the math computations has left me in the dust. From the Duramax Diesel Owners Manual Supplement it shows for K2500 4WD, Crew Cab, Standard Box a max trailer weight of 13,500#.

With my knowledge that is all I have to go with as a number. What am I missing and not taking into consideration since I assume the Reflection 337RLS is probably more than I want to have behind my truck. After that wreck I don’t feel comfortable getting too close to the towing limits since I feel that lighter weight likely saved our lives, basically we maneuvered our truck like crazy to keep that semi from hitting us full force.

Thank you
    Tim
    The tire and loading sticker has the info you need

Total weight of occupants and payload should not exceed______?
    What is that number?

Likely no where near enough for a 337
    Also keep in mind the actual number will be less than what the sticker says but only a cat scale run will tell that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick response, that number is 2111 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1D32D96-DAA8-4F35-8AE0-EDAF7FE52D60.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	36004

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 GM Denali 2500 (+ 303rls Reflection)

Thanks for the quick response, that number is 2111 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1D32D96-DAA8-4F35-8AE0-EDAF7FE52D60.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	36004
    And likely less than that if you actually weighed it
    Running boards ,bed liners etc eat into payload

Both trailers will max your payload out before you put in a hitch or people

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 08-11-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay what you are saying is that I can’t handle “tongue weight” of a trailer? I’m trying to research all of these terms as much as I can. Just having a hard time making sense of all of this.

Tim
    Last edited by Alaska_av8r; 08-11-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I’m not sure I am understanding you, do you mean with those items I cannot pull a camper? What I am trying to figure out is how to use those numbers to determine what size camper (weight) I can pull

Tim
    You unlikely can not tow a fifth wheel within specs of your truck.
    There are plenty of travel trailers you can tow within specs but without knowing the actual weight of your truck loaded to camp there isn’t anyway of knowing how much payload you have left

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thank you very much

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tim,

Its is def confusing and I'm still learning myself but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents if that's ok. Most would say a 5th wheel will have 20% of the camper weight as pin weight, I've read its closer to 23%. So if you use the number from your truck which is 2111 ( which will be less like NB Canada said) then your trailer can weigh no more than 9,178. Tough to find a 5th wheel in that range. A travel trailer is definitely gonna be a better choice.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you tgunter5....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12