User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinion on Front Cap Damage

Wondering what you experts think on what I found on my front cap. I didn't notice this on my PDI last Friday but when I got to the campground on Saturday - I found this. I do not believe it is rock damage - there is no auxiliary damage to the cap plus not sure a rock would leave some of the paint in the middle. Is this just a repaint job from my auto shop? Bad paint?

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Cap Damage 1.jpg   Front Cap Damage 2.jpg  
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL #1098
    Used to be 2014 Reflection 337RLS #277
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.5' Box

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CentralMichBo View Post
    Wondering what you experts think on what I found on my front cap. I didn't notice this on my PDI last Friday but when I got to the campground on Saturday - I found this. I do not believe it is rock damage - there is no auxiliary damage to the cap plus not sure a rock would leave some of the paint in the middle. Is this just a repaint job from my auto shop? Bad paint?

Thanks,
    I have no qualifications to be called an "expert", but I'll take a SWAG at what caused the damage. My guess is some form of road debris that had a concave shape to it. Upon impact the rough areas left their mark while the concave part left the paint on the cap intact.

Keep in mind I could be completely wrong--it's just a guess.

What it takes to fix it hopefully a true expert will spot this thread and provide an input.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, you must be heartbroken ! There is a definate circular pattern going on in that big chip. Is it textured at all? Was there anything in the truck bed that could have been beating it up during the ride ? But one would think that would be noticed in the mirrors (I always look iin the rear view mirror to see if anything in the bed has worked it's way loose during the drive) Sorry for the questions but no answers for you.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our trailer had it when we did our PDI 2 weeks ago, two down near the bottom and the whole top of the cap looked like it was peppered. We are going to wait til the winter is over and drive back to our dealer. They said they would either repaint the whole front cap, or if grand design wanted them, replace the entire front all together, depending on cost.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrich82 View Post
    Our trailer had it when we did our PDI 2 weeks ago, two down near the bottom and the whole top of the cap looked like it was peppered. We are going to wait til the winter is over and drive back to our dealer. They said they would either repaint the whole front cap, or if grand design wanted them, replace the entire front all together, depending on cost.
    Thanks jamesrich82! I just know I didn't have any thing hit me with enough force to cause that. I never had anything cause damage with five years of traveling with our Reflection. Just the way the edges are peppered/flaking makes me think it was bad prep before painting. During our Solitude tour at the rally this year, the line manager had stated they rejected about 30% of the front caps with the windshields. I guess I'll have to see what General RV says.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Darn, you must be heartbroken ! There is a definate circular pattern going on in that big chip. Is it textured at all? Was there anything in the truck bed that could have been beating it up during the ride ? But one would think that would be noticed in the mirrors (I always look iin the rear view mirror to see if anything in the bed has worked it's way loose during the drive) Sorry for the questions but no answers for you.
    Hi Marcy and Gary - I was sick when I saw it! There was nothing in the truck bed that would have caused it - you are right on the circular pattern on the chip - looks like sanding prior to painting. I have never had anything hit and chip paint down to the bare surface on trailers or vehicles.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is that it should be a simple patch job. Hopefully Grand Design can provide the paint code for the repair.

I'd certainly prefer to have a bondo repair on the nosecone vs. the fiberglass siding or one of the slide sides. The nosecone is very smooth and will finish off well.

Sidewalls have the color inside the fiberglass, and the finish is somewhat rough. RV body shops have to essentially do a faux finish to get the surface match. They use a wad of plastic wrap and dab fresh, wet paint with the plastic wrap to give it texture. It takes practice to get the technique down pat.

Good luck to you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CentralMichBo View Post

Thanks,
    Jim - I think Marcy may be onto something. The pattern looks circular to me as well. Slip of the drill or other device at the factory or dealer or ? Or possibly something rubbing against it while parked somewhere or being towed.

Good news is that the area is small and when fixed properly you will be good to go. If it was me, I would get advice on best repair method options directly from GDRV Customer Service Center folks.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may pose a problem for GD. Our 2019 S-Class has similar paint chipping issues. Is it road debris? Probably, but, I never had that problem with the Reflection we had, nor any other 5er we've owned in the past.
    [/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem might also be a bubble in the fiberglass from below. Doubtful GD will do anything but refer you to your selling dealer.

Thankfully my dealer has a very large body shop. But they take in too much work and 4 month backlog of work is the norm. RV body shops are great places to stash the trailers for the winter, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast