User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Yup, if you can get enough space out of filing it down. I just barely got it to the point where it closes easily. Next stop would have been the dealer.
    I fixed my door, had to pull the latch off, grind off the inner lip and then re tap about 1/4 inch further in on the frame. Was about as fun as I had anticipated.
    JD
    :boink:
    2019 367BHS
    2018 3500 Silverado SRW Diesel
    B&W turnover with Companion

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Does the RV industry have the same problem as the auto companies. Monday and Friday crappy productions from employees not showing up to work.
    Well, since you asked: No they do not. The quality of RV's today is right around that of American cars in the 70's - not very good. My point was that one new coach is falling apart while one built in the same plant has relatively few problems. There very well may be "Monday/Friday"RV's, but not cars/trucks. Also, I'm guessing that the pay scale at the RV companies does not even come close to that of the auto companies, resulting in lower employee skills. Still does not explain one coach being OK and the next one being lousy.

Cars/trucks coming off the line are consistently of high quality. They are far superior to anything built in the 60/70's. Why? Because the Japanese nearly killed our car industry. Because union workers finally got the message that if they didn't do a quality job despite union rules, they would lose their job. Because we finally understood the meaning of quality (mostly learned from our friends in Japan). Because of robotics. Automobiles, given the complexity of the product, are of very high quality and there are no such beasts as "Monday/Friday" cars anymore. I can't speak for you, but I can't remember having a "lemon" after about 1990. Comparing the RV industry to the auto industry is just conflating the two.

My original post was mostly rhetorical - I think I'm pretty sure why the RV industry has huge quality problems and would be happy to start yet another string on that subject. But I'm also pretty sure we know what's going on and have discussed it ad nauseam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things I fixed
    ==============

Outside screws not tight. Hand tightened.
    Rear cabinets not hung right, didn't latch. Moved hinges and latches to correct positions.
    Bathroom slider door magnet crooked. Removed assembly, filled holes, reattached correctly.
    Very poor caulking in shower. Had sawdust mixed in. Removed and re caulked.
    Small scratches in interior. Touched up with color pen.
    Magnets on front pass through crooked. reattached correctly.
    Stairs installed crooked. Crawled under and adjusted.
    Hutch drawers gets so hot it will melt candles etc. Sealed off furnace and put a reflective surface under drawers.
    Trim in pass through not attached. Nail gun and glue fixed them.
    Trim next to entry door not attached. Nail gun and glue fixed them.
    Pocket doors for bathroom had screws pull lose from tops of doors. Disassembled and used longer screws in new locations with wood glue.
    Pocket door guides fell off. Replaced and used wood glue.

Things to have dealer fix
    =========================

Water leaks near fresh water valve (went away on its own).
    Entry steps hit a screw in the 'up' position which defaced the stairs. Dealer replaced.
    Screw head(s) popped off right side slide. Dealer replaced.
    Seal under right side slide out damaged. Dealer replaced.
    Drawer under fridge is crooked. Dealer installed new guides.
    Drawer under stove broke in half. Still waiting for new drawer....
    Entry door out of alignment, door hits edge/striker when closing. Dealer replaced entire door.
    Water heater control board failed. Dealer replaced.
    2018 Imagine 2950RL
    2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read through the thread, hoping that with the newer models, the issues would dwindle (Grand Designs' quality control/manufacturing processes would stabilize and improve), but the issues seem to with all years.
    My 2019 2800BH was acquired the day before Thanksgiving and put to use immediately at our local city/state park as a respite from the family for my granddaughter and her beau.They only reported on issue so far and I have not been able to verify. They say the thermostat appeared to not control the a/c. It worked fine for the furnace. Grey water gauge must have been off. It showed nearly full and so I bought a 22 gallon portable dump and it only barely filled it before it quit flowing. That would represent less than half of capacity.
    Yesterday, doing a walk around of the camper at storage (I was dropping off sewer hose I had forgot to retrieve from my trade in and checking out some keys I had made for the outside storage area as we have already misplaced one set of keys), I noticed the skirt braces on the passenger side were all loose, while not on the driver side.
    Our first use of the camper is in about a week, hopefully I won't have to update my post.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just took delivery of our 2019 337RLS yesterday. Did the "PDI" (that was a joke, I knew more about the systems than he did) Wednesday and stayed in it at the dealer overnight. Three items so far;

Shower door track leaking profusely onto floor - dealer wanted to add more silicone which is useless since silicone won't stick to silicone. I'm going to fix it myself the right way.

Front baggage door will not close without twisting the door to close it. Dealer made an attempt to fix to no avail. They will order an new door assembly and install. Disappointed it left the factory that way, AND PDI tech didn't catch it either. He claimed it wasn't like that during his PDI. Yeah, right.

Cup holder heat/massage/light not working right. They say it takes a while new chair to fix it. Whatever, it's on order too.

Have not found any other issues yet. It's in storage until I can bring it home next week and finish moving into it. Then, it's off for a real camping trip in two weeks.
    Wish us good tidings!
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    Read through the thread, hoping that with the newer models, the issues would dwindle (Grand Designs' quality control/manufacturing processes would stabilize and improve), but the issues seem to with all years.
    My 2019 2800BH was acquired the day before Thanksgiving and put to use immediately at our local city/state park as a respite from the family for my granddaughter and her beau.They only reported on issue so far and I have not been able to verify. They say the thermostat appeared to not control the a/c. It worked fine for the furnace. Grey water gauge must have been off. It showed nearly full and so I bought a 22 gallon portable dump and it only barely filled it before it quit flowing. That would represent less than half of capacity.
    Yesterday, doing a walk around of the camper at storage (I was dropping off sewer hose I had forgot to retrieve from my trade in and checking out some keys I had made for the outside storage area as we have already misplaced one set of keys), I noticed the skirt braces on the passenger side were all loose, while not on the driver side.
    Our first use of the camper is in about a week, hopefully I won't have to update my post.
    I am still a part of this forum, not by much, however take a peek at some of the issues these guys have vs what this group has had / is having. As a former owner (finally able to say this with a smile, so far) there seem to be a few issues with GD that are somewhate expected, but nowhere near to the level of many, many others. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/
    JD
    :boink:
    2019 367BHS
    2018 3500 Silverado SRW Diesel
    B&W turnover with Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our issues with our new Solitude 2930RL have been an exterior door needing adjustment (PDI) and now replacement, pocket door having a "catch" (to be addressed in Spring), main issue is peeling paint on front cap, already authorized to be fixed by GD, waiting for Spring to get it done. Looking through most of the issues on this thread, it appears a lot of supplier issues - being from an automotive supplier past, our feet were held to the fire for quality issues - maybe more heat needs to be applied to suppliers??
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL #1098
    Used to be 2014 Reflection 337RLS #277
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.5' Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CentralMichBo View Post
    Looking through most of the issues on this thread, it appears a lot of supplier issues - being from an automotive supplier past, our feet were held to the fire for quality issues - maybe more heat needs to be applied to suppliers??
    RV manufacturers really don't make much of the RV. They design the floorplan but outsource the frame, axles, furnishings, doors, windows, cabinets, appliances, and other installed systems. They really just make the walls and put everything together.

The issue with this is that there are a limited number of suppliers they can deal with. If you've ever seen the original Robocop movies, Lippert is the real-world OCP. They buy just about everyone, leaving few suppliers you can go to. It's either a Lippert product, or something from one of very few non-Lippert companies.

Their attitude seems to be to make it "good enough" to last through the warranty period, then who cares. In our case, two of our interior doors - made by Genesis Products, not Grand Design - have fallen apart in our 3rd year. I've let GD and Genesis Products (through their VP of Constant Improvement) know what happened, but the impression I got on that end was "It survived warranty, so it worked".

So now anyone that comes in sees a pinned-up curtain instead of a door in our coach, and can rightly question if a Grand Design will hold up over the long haul.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reflection 303rls, complete wall replacement due to incorrect seal at factory causing delam, that lead to further fixes at Grand Design factory due to issues from the installation, westlake tire blown, two wet bolts replaced, brakes out of adjustment, water in belly due to water pump pex fitting not tight from factory, all the skin under the fifth wheel pin replaced at factory also. Bathroom area creaks all the time from day one. Numerous lights etc. So the big question for me anyway where I go from here. I have almost 11000 miles towing with it and all is fine, but we need a little bigger unit sometime next year. Do I stay or go with GD. Going once again to Tampa RV show (staying here) to reviews things again.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    RV manufacturers really don't make much of the RV. They design the floorplan but outsource the frame, axles, furnishings, doors, windows, cabinets, appliances, and other installed systems. They really just make the walls and put everything together.

The issue with this is that there are a limited number of suppliers they can deal with. If you've ever seen the original Robocop movies, Lippert is the real-world OCP. They buy just about everyone, leaving few suppliers you can go to. It's either a Lippert product, or something from one of very few non-Lippert companies.

Their attitude seems to be to make it "good enough" to last through the warranty period, then who cares. In our case, two of our interior doors - made by Genesis Products, not Grand Design - have fallen apart in our 3rd year. I've let GD and Genesis Products (through their VP of Constant Improvement) know what happened, but the impression I got on that end was "It survived warranty, so it worked".

So now anyone that comes in sees a pinned-up curtain instead of a door in our coach, and can rightly question if a Grand Design will hold up over the long haul.
    Well, that pretty much sums it up - well said. Overall, I think Grand Design does a very good job on handling warranty issues but at the end of the day, it's still only a one year warranty.

Another way to say this is that a one year warranty on a product that most people only use part time is a joke. An auto manufacturer couldn't sell one car with only a one year warranty - nobody would ever buy that. In fact, offering a one year warranty is actually a huge red flag to the buyer that they are being offered an inferior product. Then of course, the ultimate slap in the face: thousands of dollars for an "extended service plan".

However, the problem is, if you want to go RV'ing you live with it because quite honestly, the entire industry is as close as you can get to a monopoly. As you point out, Lippert is pretty much running the supplier show (of course there are a few holdouts and three major corporations own probably 90% of the coach assembly). Is it any wonder that you'll never see a 3 or 5 year warranty? Collusion? Nope. But if the guy down the street doesn't offer it and you're selling everything you can make, why change?

The solution? Hold the manufacturers feet to the fire during year one. Document everything (it's amazing how often verbal promises somehow change meaning over time). Actually read the manuals, even if you are an RV "pro". Strictly follow recommend maintenance procedures. If your state has a "lemon law", use it for truly major issues. Don't waste your time (or sanity) on loose screws, sticking drawers, etc - fix them yourself. Make sure you select a reputable dealer (if you bought your coach 5 states away to save a hundred bucks, don't be surprised when your local guy puts you at the end of the line. Full timers ... good luck). Outside of these things, just enjoy your coach and understand that there are some things you need to adjust to because all the screaming in the world won't change it. You can't control it, so as they say "grin and bear it".

The only other solution is to trade in the RV and do something that is less aggravating. And, of course be prepared to take a bath - the depreciation is mind boggling!

Safe travels.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast