Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlake Tires

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdresser View Post
    Actually they are D tires. We have a 2600RB which is pretty light compared with many on this forum. I will probably go to an E rated tire when I need to replace but don't see any need to be in a hurry to do that.
    What year is your 2600rb? Our 2019 2600rb has the E tires 225-75-15 80 psi.
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB
    2016 Ford F350 CCLB SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018. 205-75-15 60 psi. I run a little higher than than that, 65 psi +/- a pound or two. From the tire blogs I've read increasing the pressure increases the carrying capacity somewhat. Temperature doesn't seem to be an issue. Temperature to initiate cord failure is well north of 150 degrees and I find my temperature doesn't increase more than 10-15 degrees. I also don't go screaming down the highway. 65 is my normal speed. It is interesting to know that they increased the tire size for the 2019s. They also increased the gvw from 6995 to 7500 just after mine was built. I think they also went to the heavier springs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have a Refection 303 and 2years and 6000 miles plus on the Westlakes. This is the second truck with the 6000 miles. First truck ran from Nevada to Oregon and back. Same tires having more problems with the bearings than tires.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
    Ran my Westlakes for 20,000+ and NO ISSUES, they are a decent tire. What counts is how you treat them and take care of them no matter the brand. I replaced them this year with another brand that my guy at the tire store I use carries and believes in, and they have been good so far too. The Endurance may be good tires, and I run Goodyear on my truck, but,,, I can remember when Goodyear sold the absolute worst trailer tire on the market, the marathons... So I guess what the end final is, the Westlakes are descent tires, take care of them, and when you are ready talk to a good tire store that you are familiar with and see what the recommend... I’ve seen and questioned people on the boards bashing Westlakes and NONE of them personally have had trouble with the Westlakes, it always comes back to “I read this on a post....” Travel and have fun, no need to waste your money!
    You are leaving so much info out of your post that it is worthless. What rating are your tires? What weight rating is your trailer? Tire worthiness involves a lot more than "I've ran them more than 20,000+ and No ISSUES". Is that 20,000 feet? Are you running them on a jet ski trailer? If you are going to add to a discussion back it up. Some Westlake tires are better than others depending on the weight rating on the tire and the application. I could go on and on but don't like typing.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    Hi my husband and I are pretty new to the RV world and Grand Design.I have been following this forum for awhile now and have received some really good tips and tricks.
    Lately I have been hearing a lot of bad things about the Westlake tires we have on ours and would like to change them out as they make me very nervous when on the road . We have heard that Goodyear Endurance is the tire to get but wanted some input from others.
    We have the Imagine 2250RK our TV is 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with airbags and equalizer tow package. Do we want a Certain Goodyear or just worry about the size someone said something about an E sorry I know nothing about trailer tires, they also said I should have a high ply like 20 ply any input would be a big help to ease my mind a bit more I have to get them before our next trip Sorry this is so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did not have any issues with the Westlake tires but I did not travel very far with them. Less than 3000 miles.
    I bought the Hartland ST Radial All Steel 14 ply tires from Discount Tire and even changed out the spare.
    I have a heavy trailer and it was a complaint from the start with Grand Design for using E rated tires on a 15K (empty) trailer.
    Took the trailer on a trip in June just installing them and they are much better then the originals. Too many review on the Westlake had me scared to continue using them.
    I did go from 235/80-16 up to 235/85-16 but I do not have any clearance issues on my rig. The tread pattern is identical to the Goodyear G614 at 2/3rds the cost.
    2014 GMC Denali 3500HD
    Demco Recon, gooseneck ball mounted
    Solitude 366DEN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your input I appreciate it ��
    2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Hemi 6.4 4x4
    2019 GD Imagine 2250RK
    Companions: VinDiesel & Luna

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    You are leaving so much info out of your post that it is worthless. What rating are your tires? What weight rating is your trailer? Tire worthiness involves a lot more than "I've ran them more than 20,000+ and No ISSUES". Is that 20,000 feet? Are you running them on a jet ski trailer? If you are going to add to a discussion back it up. Some Westlake tires are better than others depending on the weight rating on the tire and the application. I could go on and on but don't like typing.
    It really seems that you are here to instigate trouble by this post. This is a Grand Design site, not a “jet ski trailer site” we deal in miles or kilometers of distance measurement here not feet.. I’ll take the time to fill in a few facts, tires were run on an Imagine trailer, they were 8ply tires, this should be more than enough information for “an intelligent person” here on this thread to understand the first post. I posted here in regards the the person who was asking about the Westlake tires trying to answer questions about the tire worth/durability as there where looking at purchasing a new RV, probably a Grand Design unit. Not looking for thread trolls but, it seems I’ve found one..

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
    I’ll take the time to fill in a few facts, tires were run on an Imagine trailer.
    This is likely why you had success with the Westlake tires. Grand Design used E rated Westlakes on their heavier 5th wheels for a few years and based on feedback from a number of folks on this forum including an informal poll, they were not very reliable for that application. They seem to work fine for lighter weight models like your Imagine trailer.

To respond to the OP's question, many people who want to switch away from the factory 15" tires go with Goodyear Endurance.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely look into the Sailun tires, to see if they fit. After about a year our Westlakes were cracking between the tread. Our good years lasted about 6 months longer. My tire monitor keeps an eye on pressure and temperature, and I do a monthly visual check. When you go look at Goodyear's tires, stand on the sidewalls, they'll probably flex to the point there touching. Not with the sailun tires. Weigh the trailer and only inflate to what sailun tire company says, and you should get many many good years out of them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I would definitely look into the Sailun tires, to see if they fit. After about a year our Westlakes were cracking between the tread. Our good years lasted about 6 months longer. My tire monitor keeps an eye on pressure and temperature, and I do a monthly visual check. When you go look at Goodyear's tires, stand on the sidewalls, they'll probably flex to the point there touching. Not with the sailun tires. Weigh the trailer and only inflate to what sailun tire company says, and you should get many many good years out of them.
    My brother has Sailuns on his fiver and thinks highly of them. Unfortunately I don't think they make a trailer tire for a 15" rim.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast