User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding high amp connection from truck to Momentum

Thinking about dropping in a 100-200 amp connection in the truck bed and would like to connect this to the GD to give it more power available when pulling. I've used Anderson connectors before, and I think that would work well for this application. Thing I'm not sure of, how to get from the kingpin to the battery box? The trailer light wires run up and out of sight quickly next to the kingpin, they would probably work (following them with the 2 or 4 gauge wires from the Anderson connector), but no clue where they go. Seems like it would be somewhere in the floor of the bedroom, is there a way to access these run though, or are we into "tear up the floor" to get at them?

Anyone do something like this already? Run a few 100 amps from the truck back to the RV so you can arrive with a fresh battery; run things while driving/etc? This would be multi-use for me, my dump trailer would love to have something like this too (as well as a good lifeline for another set of jumper cables in the rear of the truck). It would be pretty simple to do, an isolator, some thick wire, a few connectors and probably a DC-DC charger in the rig for the best performance. Just wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, how did you route the wire (and if you care to provide the parts you used, well, Christmas come early!).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience with running 100 amp connections, but I did run new brake wire from the connection box in the pin box all the way back to brakes. Same concept.

It's fairly simple getting the wire from the pin box to the battery. Look up inside the pin box and you will see where the 7 way wire pigtail terminates in a junction box. I used fish tape through that area and sent it through to the basement area where the battery box is located. To make it easier, I did have to remove the screws on the underside of the 5th wheel overhang (I hope that part makes sense, pretty much the underside of the bedroom, but the outside screws). Once your fish tape is through, just attach wire to the end and pull it back out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think someone here did this by pushing some PVC conduit through. Either to create a gap or actually use the conduit. I just used a fish tape. It’s a straight shot from the pin box area into the front storage bay.

100 amps seems a bit excessive but heck, whatever you want. Not sure how much current the dump trailer uses. I can drive all day and still have a full charge off the normal 5 way plug. It sounds like you have a good plan tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I think someone here did this by pushing some PVC conduit through. Either to create a gap or actually use the conduit. I just used a fish tape. It’s a straight shot from the pin box area into the front storage bay.

100 amps seems a bit excessive but heck, whatever you want. Not sure how much current the dump trailer uses. I can drive all day and still have a full charge off the normal 5 way plug. It sounds like you have a good plan tho.
    Great, thanks again, this sounds like a pretty easy one!

And yes, 100A is almost certainly excessive for the RV (well, unless I put in a big inverter, suppose I could use it then); it's really the dump trailer that defines the requirement here, that draws a ton of power when it's running, do a lot of dumps in a day, it's easy to wind up with a flat battery (which is not at all fun when you have a load that needs off the traielr!). And, of course, it's also big enough to let me jump start the truck from the back (should that ever be necessary), run a winch or.. Well, whatever I want to do. The incremental cost to go up in wire gauge isn't that much, so, heck, why not, right?!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep seeing something called Redarc that seems big in Australia I believe. DC to DC charging.....seems you can put it in rv or truck....not sure how it all works.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've just ordered a 310GK, and at the same time ordered a Redarc BCDC1240D 40A DC-DC charger. Besides being a much better way to charge the house batteries while towing, it is also a 12V MPPT solar charger, so it makes sense to install in the front basement to allow easy battery charging with portable solar panels (I'm not yet convinced we'll need roof solar). The toughest part of the install will be doing the 4AWG runs in the truck, since, after reading this, it sounds like running lines from pin box to basement shouldn't be difficult.