Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Rack on Rear Bumper?

I will be picking up my 323 in a couple of weeks. Does anybody know if the rear bumper has a weight rating? I will need to make adjustments to the way we carry our bikes (moving to a 5th wheel from a travel trailer). It looks pretty stout, but I have seen some bumpers that were torqued pretty bad from a bike rack mounted on it.

Thanks,
    Doug

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recommend installing a bumper mount bicycle carrier (with a maximum total weight capacity of 100 lbs.) on a Reflection.

The above is copied from another post, do a search and you can read more on it. We were faced with the same issue, but needing to carry 3 bikes so the rear bumper was not an option for us. This past weekend we modified the plywood bases of the booth seats to mount our bikes there. The cusions will ride in the buke house until we get to our destination and remove the bikes. Then just put the cusions back on and have a dinette again.
    Zachary, LA
    2015 F350 4x4 with air bags
    B&W Companion with turnover ball
    2012 F250 4x4 with air bags
    B&W Companion with turnover ball
    2015 toyhauler, other brand :-(

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Doug and congratulations on your new Reflection! Go down to the Tech Corner of the forum and you will find a couple of threads about bike racks.

Steve

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI.......all new Reflections leaving the factory will not have bumpers on anymore.

Lippert only gives them a 100 lb rating, so Reflection is going to have a factory installed receiver hitch on the rear now, instead of the bumper. The receiver will take more weight.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

pwrplay
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    FYI.......all new Reflections leaving the factory will not have bumpers on anymore.

Lippert only gives them a 100 lb rating, so Reflection is going to have a factory installed receiver hitch on the rear now, instead of the bumper. The receiver will take more weight.
    When is this starting? I just picked up my 2015 323 2 weeks ago that was built the 1st week of August and it still has the regular 4" bumper. Had I known this I may have waited.

Come to think of it removing the bumper may not be a good idea. What's going to protect the back wall from minor impacts. The bumper can save you a lot in body repairs.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They started in Mid-August.

No different than having a fiberglass rear cap instead of a laminated wall and bumper....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know if the 2" receiver hitch that is now being installed on the Reflections be installed or adapted to be installed on the existing units in stock? This would solve my bike rack issue.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lajones View Post
    We recommend installing a bumper mount bicycle carrier (with a maximum total weight capacity of 100 lbs.) on a Reflection.

The above is copied from another post, do a search and you can read more on it. We were faced with the same issue, but needing to carry 3 bikes so the rear bumper was not an option for us. This past weekend we modified the plywood bases of the booth seats to mount our bikes there. The cusions will ride in the buke house until we get to our destination and remove the bikes. Then just put the cusions back on and have a dinette again.
    How did you modify the plywood on the dinette? Any photos to share?
    Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

That's the way mine has been since I bought it. I removed the bumper before our first trip and installed a receiver hitch. In my opinion a receiver is the only way to go.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying this from my phone so hopefully it works.
    We remover the luan and replace it with 1/2" plywood, attached spindle mounts for the adult bikes and drilled holes in the plywood for straps at the rear wheels as well as holes for straps for the kid bike. Once the bikes are unloaded, the plywood is flipped over and the cushions replaced. It worked out that the bike tires ride completely on the plywood and not on the table top at all. Ours is set for 3 bikes, 4 would fit with no problem.
    We took our first trip with the RV this weekend and all went well including hauling the bikes. Hope this can help someone else.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	805Click image for larger version. 

Views:	84 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	806Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	85.4 KB