User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably seal the deal on a new 2500RL today. Need a tip

I have gotten what I consider a good price on a 2020 2500RL, but they are a 2 hour drive away. For reference the closest dealer was 1.5 hours away, so none are close. The distance creates a logistical problem for purchasing. I can put money down to hold the unit to over the phone. They likely could get their PDI done before I got there (Thursday this week hopefully). I know I need to do my own PDI and will likely find something else that needs repair. I don't want to stay over night(s) while waiting for the repairs prior to sealing the deal and driving away. And I don't want to drive home waiting for a call to drive back after the repairs are done.

I am sure others have had to deal with this issue before. How do I deal with this long distance purchase issue?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get a room or stay in the new rig. I'm not into driving that much. On another note, this is the only time you will be first in line for any repairs (this is true at most dealerships but not all), I would stay even if it took several days.

On a more positive note, Our dealer and GDRV did a great job on our rig. The only thing we found was a radio not working and the dealer had already ordered a new one.

Orangewood RV in Surprise Az was the dealer...I know I'll get asked.

Red
    Last edited by el Rojo; 07-15-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH!!! Congrats on the new rig.

Red
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    I would get a room or stay in the new rig. I'm not into driving that much. On another note, this is the only time you will be first in line for any repairs (this is true at most dealerships but not all), I would stay even if it took several days.

On a more positive note, Our dealer and GDRV did a great job on our rig. The only thing we found was a radio not working and the dealer had already ordered a new one.

Orangewood RV in Surprise AX was the dealer...I know I'll get asked.

Red
    Thanks, Red. I will start working on the wife now...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @el Rojo, plan to do your own thorough PDI and stay there if you find things they can't fix immediately. The dealer should be able to make you comfortable in your trailer overnight, and that gives you even more time to check out everything.

There are good dealers - el Rojo found one - but there are plenty of others (including mine) who obviously don't do much at all on the PDI and are even less diligent on after-sales service. Take the time and the overnight (or longer if necessary) to try to get everything fixed while you still have your money... gives the dealer an incentive to deliver the product they should be delivering to you.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not sign the papers until you are satisfied. Staying overnight in the dealers lot is a great idea, if it works for you. Get your appointment for your PDI in the morning so you have time to do a good walk thru and they have time to fix what ever needs fixin. If there are things that need fixing the next day they should accommodate you.
    Good luck and congrats.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I'm with @el Rojo, plan to do your own thorough PDI and stay there if you find things they can't fix immediately. The dealer should be able to make you comfortable in your trailer overnight, and that gives you even more time to check out everything.

There are good dealers - el Rojo found one - but there are plenty of others (including mine) who obviously don't do much at all on the PDI and are even less diligent on after-sales service. Take the time and the overnight (or longer if necessary) to try to get everything fixed while you still have your money... gives the dealer an incentive to deliver the product they should be delivering to you.
    Don't be surprised if the dealer tries to get your money before or shortly after the PDI. I think the PDI is on the dealers nickle, but once they have your money the trailer is yours and the repairs are now a warranty claim on GDRV...just sayin'. I would also imagine you will have to close the deal before you can sleep in it.

Red
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought from a dealer that was over two hours away. During my PDI, I had an issue that required the replacement of the waste tank cables and valves (they were totally frozen stuck). The dealer did not have the parts in stock and needed to order them from GD.

I took the tact that I wanted the dealer to take their time and get everything perfect. I refused to sign anything that day and told the dealer I would be back in a week (the following Friday) to pick up my RV. I also asked the dealer to install two roof vent covers and throw in a 50 amp extension cord to make up for the inconvenience.

I also made it a point to book a campground in the direction of the dealer for that weekend.

Bottom line, this worked well. I don't feel like the dealer was rushed. I didn't ask for much, but saved a few dollars on things I wanted. I had a camping trip on that first weekend that was in the direction of the dealer; which would have made dropping the unit off after that trip easy had we discovered anything of significance on our maiden voyage.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Don't be surprised if the dealer tries to get your money before or shortly after the PDI. I think the PDI is on the dealers nickle, but once they have your money the trailer is yours and the repairs are now a warranty claim on GDRV...just sayin'. I would also imagine you will have to close the deal before you can sleep in it. Red
    After - foolishly - signing off on the dealer's claim of a PDI inspection that the dealer very obviously did not do, my advice above comes from unhappy experience.

Any dealer that requires - as you suggest - payment before its own PDI *or* before the buyer's own thorough PDI should not be paid anything. PDI stands for pre-delivery-inspection, something (still, AFAIK) required by Grand Design even if dealers fudge on it.

The buyer who is not firm and determined about this will likely pay dearly. We did - our new trailer languished at the dealer for nearly FIVE MONTHS last year after three weeks of use uncovered a legion of problems that were all neatly-checked-off as "OK" on the PDI inspection sheet. The dealer bumbled and made excuses and bumbled some more while everything from a dud fridge to a blind with pea-sized holes were replaced or repaired. Days after we finally recovered our trailer and began our dealer-delayed trip we had several more issues, some directly related to the repairs done by the dealer.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, hence my advice to @SJMaye. Stay (or go home) and don't pay until you're sure you're getting the fully-usable product you're paying for.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-15-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I am sure others have had to deal with this issue before. How do I deal with this long distance purchase issue?
    We purchased our Momentum at a dealer about 5 hours from home. Long story short we do have a local dealer but they were unwilling to sell at a price I was willing to pay. Anyway, I would stay at least the night and get any issues addresses and/or documented. Another option is if there is an independent RV repair facility or mobile tech near you, they might be willing to take care of any warranty issues the delivering dealer can not take care of in time. GD will allow this under similar circumstances. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    After - foolishly - signing off on the dealer's claim of a PDI inspection that the dealer very obviously did not do, my advice above comes from unhappy experience.

Any dealer that requires - as you suggest - payment before its own PDI *or* before the buyer's own thorough PDI should not be paid anything. PDI stands for pre-delivery-inspection, something (still, AFAIK) required by Grand Design even if dealers fudge on it.

The buyer who is not firm and determined about this will likely pay dearly. We did - our new trailer languished at the dealer for nearly FIVE MONTHS last year after three weeks of use uncovered a legion of problems that were all neatly-checked-off as "OK" on the PDI inspection sheet. The dealer bumbled and made excuses and bumbled some more while everything from a dud fridge to a blind with pea-sized holes were replaced or repaired. Days after we finally recovered our trailer and began our dealer-delayed trip we had several more issues, some directly related to the repairs done by the dealer.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, hence my advice to @SJMaye. Stay (or go home) and don't pay until you're sure you're getting the fully-usable product you're paying for.
    I am curious... You have mentioned before that the dealer had your RV for 5'ish months before. Was that because they would not let you take the RV until all repairs were complete? Or was that your choice in that you wouldn't take the RV until all repairs were done to your satisfaction? In my case, my local dealer agreed to do the warranty repairs, saving me from going back and forth from So. NV to Central AZ. My local dealer verified the necessary repairs and ordered parts, then I took the RV back home to use while waiting for parts and repairs. Truth be told, it has taken about 6 months to get everything on my punch list taken care of (one item STILL pending) but at least we were able to use the RV in the mean time... Just curious.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast