User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram 6.7L CTD Filter questions

This is my first diesel truck (2018 RAM 2500 6.7L CTD) and I was wondering what fuel and oil filters you all are using? Up until now I've had the dealer do all the maintenance, so they have obviously used OEM parts. Needless to say its not cheap to have dealer maintenance done on a diesel. Since I maintain all of my other vehicles, I've decided to start doing the routine maintenance on my RAM as well. So while watching videos on how to do an oil change and fuel/water filter change I came across a video that dissected a Mopar Diesel engine oil filter and it was nothing special. The guy in the video said that he thought that it was the same filter paper that's used looked in those cheap Fram filters. In my other vehicles I typically use NAPA Gold or Wix filters. So I was wondering what type of filters you more seasoned Cummins diesel engine owners use in your trucks.

Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do my own maintenance and use Mopar filters. I order online and save a few dollars vs the dealer parts counter. I used them in case I had any issues with my truck under warranty it would be one less battle over getting it fixed. Even out of warranty continue to use the them. I agree they probably aren’t special or magical filters.

On a side note look at Genos Garage for a oil filter cap. Helps with doing the oil change allowing you to pull it out of the wheel well.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be more important to know what Cummins suggests you use for filters as most warranty work is performed by them on the diesels. Now there are two fuel filters on the 6.7 one in the engine compartment and one on the inboard side of the fuel tank. The oil filter is a bitch to remove and replace without dumping some oil down in the suspension tray, which will drip for a day or two if you don't clean it up completely. Don't ask! Personally I am too old to crawl around under the cars anymore so I pay someone to do it for me.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram 6.7L CTD Filter questions

One of the best videos for replacing your own fuel filters.

https://youtu.be/z7I682e_HcM

Oops. Wrong one. This is oil filter

Here is the fuel filter.

https://youtu.be/ALzOoHftP9c

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I do my own maintenance and use Mopar filters. I order online and save a few dollars vs the dealer parts counter. I used them in case I had any issues with my truck under warranty it would be one less battle over getting it fixed. Even out of warranty continue to use the them. I agree they probably aren’t special or magical filters.

On a side note look at Genos Garage for a oil filter cap. Helps with doing the oil change allowing you to pull it out of the wheel well.
    I agree 100% If you are still under warranty, use the Mopar filters. They are no more expensive then the other brand name equivalents. I buy mine from Geno's or Amazon. Generally you can get the fuel filter set on Amazon for around $85 and they come from a Mopar/FCA/Chrysler dealer. Walmart used to sell the Mopar oil filter for around $13. Haven't seen them in our local Walmart of recent.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
    It would be more important to know what Cummins suggests you use for filters as most warranty work is performed by them on the diesels. ...
    Actually, Cummins will not do any warranty work on the Ram and will refer you your selling dealer for repairs. Cummins won't even sell a Ram owner any parts as they have an agreement with FCA not to do so. Which unfortunately adds a lot of extra costs to repair parts as FCA marks up Cummins parts pretty badly.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay....you folks all make good points and I appreciate your comments. I guess while under warranty I'll stick with MOPAR parts.....and keep all of my receipts!

The diesel engine may be more expensive to maintain and the DEF a pain in the **********, but I can't say it loud enough or long enough how much I love that diesel engine. When I need power, I get power and that makes it worth all of the extra effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad on the warranty work, but as to what filters they suggest I would be interested.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let's talk oil. I was told Ram/cummings comes with 100% synthetic oil, hence the 15,000 mile oil change interval. What kind is it and what do most of you put back in the Cummings?

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    So let's talk oil. I was told Ram/cummings comes with 100% synthetic oil, hence the 15,000 mile oil change interval. What kind is it and what do most of you put back in the Cummings?

Red
    My cummins* is around 7500-8000 miles
    Don’t trust the 15k as some of these trucks keep a little oil for themselves.
    Run any oil you want as long as it meets the Owners Manual spec.

19 DDSRT
    19 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab HO (patriot bus)
    2020 311BHS
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast