User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use whatever oil is on sale. DelVac, Rotello, WalMart brand, etc. i’ve done 2 Blackstone oil tests done in 60,000 miles of use and both have come back fine regardless of brand of oil. And I only change it at the recommended 15,000 mile intervals.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    So let's talk oil. I was told Ram/cummings comes with 100% synthetic oil, hence the 15,000 mile oil change interval. What kind is it and what do most of you put back in the Cummings?

Red
    I have always changed mine with Shell Rotella T6, or like someone said use only what the specs say. I also use only Ram Mopar filters. I have also changed my AISIN trans fluid, it requires Mobil 3309.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Diesel Filters Online, they offer both OEM and aftermarket filters.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I use whatever oil is on sale. DelVac, Rotello, WalMart brand, etc. i’ve done 2 Blackstone oil tests done in 60,000 miles of use and both have come back fine regardless of brand of oil. And I only change it at the recommended 15,000 mile intervals.

Is there also a time limit? Meaning I read that I should change the oil every 15K miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first. On my other vehicles, I've always kind of ignored the "every 6 month" requirement, but they weren't diesels. Since the COVID pandemic I have not put really any mileage on my truck and I'm wondering if I should change it. If I did, should I just drain and replace the oil and leave the filter? Truthfully I never really understood the 6 month requirement. I guess if I lived in an areas where we had extreme temperature swings that the oil could collect some water thru condensation, that isn't the case.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what year your Ram is. I believe on the 19's and up the time interval was changed to 15,000 miles or 1 year. Prior to that it calls for 15,000 miles or 6 months. I don't put on 15,000 miles in 6 months so I do the 15,0000 mile change. I have never read or heard anyone having a warranty issue (not that it didn't happen) by not following the 6 month change out. Just keep your receipts.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While under warranty we also went to the dealer for maintenance, now that it’s over 100,000 miles I buy from genos.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the Mopar filter and change the oil every 6 months. Maint on this truck is not as expensive as people think. I have follow the maintenance manual since day one and in two years have only spend $365. That includes oil changes with filter, fuel filters and air filter once a year.
    This year I change the oil twice. Once in January and in July. Due to covid only put 4300 miles this year so far (20100 last year). Oil is cheap insurance every 6 months.
    Take care of the truck and it will last forever.
    Remember to cool the turbo after towing and use exhaust brake. It will safe you $$$$ in the long run.
    I love my truck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way I do my own maintenance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked in filtration for over 35 years and believe the best filtration will provide the opportunity for the longest component life.
    Use the OEM filters or use Cummins Filtration Fleetguard brand. Fleetguard always makes filters that meet or exceed OEM spec and has a warranty to back it up.
    They will not be cheap but neither is the cost of replacing an injector

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessJoe4168 View Post
    I worked in filtration for over 35 years and believe the best filtration will provide the opportunity for the longest component life.
    Use the OEM filters or use Cummins Filtration Fleetguard brand. Fleetguard always makes filters that meet or exceed OEM spec and has a warranty to back it up.
    They will not be cheap but neither is the cost of replacing an injector
    What he said.. My last Cummins, a 2004, I used Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters and mobil 1 synthetic diesel oil. You can get them on Amazon, or Geno's. 289,000 miles of pulling and towing and oil usage at the end was less than a cup between changes, at 7500 miles. Truck was never in the shop for engine related issue.
    Scooter, Paulette, (DW)
    2018 303 RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD AISIN
    B&W Rv3600 hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast