User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 395-MS Hidden air flow vent

Hi All:
    We are the happy owners of a 2021 GD Momentum 395-MS fifth wheel toy hauler. Despite some little minor issues, I have a question that maybe some of you RV experts/engineer type members can answer for me: In the floor cabinet to the left of the stove in the far left corner inside of it, is a louvered vent. I can't find it's egress to the outside, but it is near the vicinity of the hot water heater. I called GD and the representative was not forthcoming with much information except to say it is some kind of air flow vent for the furnace. My question is it good or okay for condensed air from the hot water heater/furnace to be recirculated back into the dark, kitchen cabinet? We packed up the rig when we purchased it and a few weeks later, the aluminum foil and saran wrap that I stored there had a strong mildew smell from the drawer which had me investigate and find that hidden vent in the back of the lower cabinet.
    HAs anyone else had these issues? Thanks in advance.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by todmarbot View Post
    Hi All:
    We are the happy owners of a 2021 GD Momentum 395-MS fifth wheel toy hauler. Despite some little minor issues, I have a question that maybe some of you RV experts/engineer type members can answer for me: In the floor cabinet to the left of the stove in the far left corner inside of it, is a louvered vent. I can't find it's egress to the outside, but it is near the vicinity of the hot water heater. I called GD and the representative was not forthcoming with much information except to say it is some kind of air flow vent for the furnace. My question is it good or okay for condensed air from the hot water heater/furnace to be recirculated back into the dark, kitchen cabinet? We packed up the rig when we purchased it and a few weeks later, the aluminum foil and saran wrap that I stored there had a strong mildew smell from the drawer which had me investigate and find that hidden vent in the back of the lower cabinet.
    HAs anyone else had these issues? Thanks in advance.
    That is your "return" for the furnace. It should not be venting anything. That is where your furnace intakes air for the 4 furnace vents throughout the rig.

2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 F-450 KR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO should I leave that cabinet door open when the furnace is in use? What would cause the mildew smell? maybe I am smelling some burnoff from a new furnace?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO should I leave that cabinet door open when the furnace is in use? What would cause the mildew smell? maybe I am smelling some burnoff from a new furnace?
    Don't have to leave the door open; cabinet is designed with a open gap under the door to allow for return to receive air. As far as for the smell, it could be offgassing of the new rig, but moisture is inherently bad in trailers. I would pick up a hygrometer to check humidity levels and look into moisture control (lots of info on this forum about that). If your moisture levels are high, address that. But unless it continues to occur or gets worse, I wouldn't worry about it, too much. New rig comes with new smells.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's necessary to leave the door open, but..
    With the furnace running , that creates moisture and add your body moisture that it is drawing in it might not hurt to put some damp rid in there.

There likely is an opening at the cabinet base that you can't see easily for the circulation. If there is an opening and you have dogs that shed heavily be sure to clean the hair out periodically
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We di have a large dog that sheds a lot. Are you talking about the air intake vent? the GD rep said there was one at the base of the stove.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think it is the air intake. Ours is at the base of the hutch and the first time we took the drawer out we found a wealth of sucked in dog hair. On a cold windy day I even feel very slight cool air movement standing there.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update with that cabinet that has the mildew smell. We moved the rig yesterday and the first time we have been in it in3 weeks. The damp rid bag that I hung in the cabinet was full of water. THere still was a distinct mildew smell. The cabinet abuts the shower drain so I am wondering if it is from that although we only used the shower twice. Outside the area of the cabinet, just under where it would be located is a brass colored valve that hubs said is a propane hookup. IT has a black cap that was attached but not capped to the valve. DO you think that has something to do with it? I am thinking of leaving a tub of damp-rid in the shower when the RV is not in use. Excuse me for picking your brain

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update with that cabinet that has the mildew smell. We moved the rig yesterday and the first time we have been in it in3 weeks. The damp rid bag that I hung in the cabinet was full of water. THere still was a distinct mildew smell. The cabinet abuts the shower drain so I am wondering if it is from that although we only used the shower twice. Outside the area of the cabinet, just under where it would be located is a brass colored valve that hubs said is a propane hookup. IT has a black cap that was attached but not capped to the valve. DO you think that has something to do with it? I am thinking of leaving a tub of damp-rid in the shower when the RV is not in use. Excuse me for picking your brain
    That propane connection couldn't have anything to do with it. That's for external attachment to a larger external propane tank. There's not any water attributed to it.

As far as for your shower drain theory, unless you have a leak under your shower, I can't see that being the issue. I would pull the panel in your storage bay and grab a flash light and start looking around under there. Panel is just a few screws and you should be able to see if there are any signs of water. You should be able to glance at the other side of the return. Maybe water is accumulating inside the return somehow?

Did you pick up a few hygrometers per chance to check the humidity levels inside the unit?

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR