User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar package question

I am in the process of taking possession of a new 2021 Solitude 373FB-R. When we did our first walk through there were problems so the dealer is taking care of those as we speak. However I am confused about the Solar Package I ordered. I saw the solar panel on the roof and the dealer pointed out the inverter, however the control panel appears to be in the basement. I could not get a clear reading on the panel and I am confused how I would change this to a lithium battery that I want to install. First question is: Is the panel in the basement as I am seeing? I would think it would have been installed in the living area so it would be easier to monitor. Second Question: Is there some kind of owners manual that will tell me how to operate the panel to change over to lithium in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the same solar charge controller that we got with our factory 300w solar system (Jaboni), here is a link to the owner's manual that shows how to use the controller (and change the battery type):

https://www.jabonipowerproducts.com/...nual_Final.pdf

The remote display for our system was installed on the rear basement wall.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on what Brian said. Our controller display was installed on the rear basement wall and was easy to change to lithium (we have two BB LiFePO4 batteries). Follow each step in the instructions in the manual, though. If you don't do it exactly, the settings won't be saved. Ask me how I know...

Rob

PS on the solar system and two BB batteries: yesterday was a very long travel day for us (about 7 hours). We had about three hours of sun in the morning, but then it clouded over and rained for the last four hours. When we arrived at our destination, we set up in a drizzle (still heavy overcast). I unhitched, leveled, and put out the slides before connecting to shore power. Before plugging in, I glanced at the controller. The batteries were still at 13.6 volts and the solar panel was putting out 40 watts! I though that was pretty amazing for 5:00PM with a heavy overcast. Of course, the residential fridge was still at 38 deg. and the freezer was -2.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-08-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian & Rob, thank you both very much. Rob, are you running 2 100amp BB batteries from the single 300 watt panel? I'm wondering if I need to add an additional panel for 2 batteries.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsloll View Post
    Brian & Rob, thank you both very much. Rob, are you running 2 100amp BB batteries from the single 300 watt panel? I'm wondering if I need to add an additional panel for 2 batteries.
    Forum hint: use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") to whomever you want a response from (I just happened to look back at this thread). You can also tag folks by putting the "@" sign in front of their user name like this: @jsloll. That will also generate a notification.

Batteries don't "run from" a solar panel. A solar panel and charge controller charge whichever batteries are connected to them. If you install more battery capability and run the batteries down, the panel will just take longer to charge them back up. For example, if you use 50 AH of power from one battery, it will take the same amount of time to charge as if you used 50 AH of power from two batteries (25 AH from each). You are replacing 50 AH of power either way. The direct answer to your question is, yes, we have two BB 100 AH batteries and charge them both with the 300 watt pan and the Jaboni controller. The setup works very well.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you're saying. Starting to make sense now. Thanks for the help.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question for Rob, where did you place your BB batteries? The battery box is on the hitch, and when I asked about moving the lithium battery into the passthru I got a strange look, like it's not the way it's done. The second question, I am waiting for my 22MLE. I wanted the solar package and dealer is going to install the solar kit on the RV (it did not come on panels already installed), so I am waiting for parts to be deliver for the solar kit. My questions is, if a 22MLE is solar prep, and the wiring is already done by GD, then can I install the a solar kit from BB on my own? How difficult would that be, if the 2021 22MLE is already pre-wire.
    Ziggy

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zygmunt View Post
    I have a question for Rob, where did you place your BB batteries? The battery box is on the hitch, and when I asked about moving the lithium battery into the passthru I got a strange look, like it's not the way it's done. The second question, I am waiting for my 22MLE. I wanted the solar package and dealer is going to install the solar kit on the RV (it did not come on panels already installed), so I am waiting for parts to be deliver for the solar kit. My questions is, if a 22MLE is solar prep, and the wiring is already done by GD, then can I install the a solar kit from BB on my own? How difficult would that be, if the 2021 22MLE is already pre-wire.
    Ziggy
    I just happened to stumble on this... if you want to get people's attention, tag them: @zygmunt, or use "Reply With Quote" (as I have done here).

We have a fifth wheel which came with boxes for two batteries in the front compartment where fifth wheels normally carry their batteries (vented, of course - which isn't required for LiFePO4). It's safe to relocate a LiFePO4 battery to the pass-through on a travel trailer since ventilation is not required for this battery type.

As for installation, it depends on how handy you are. It would mean making sure the connectors are compatible, the panel mounting is done safely and securely and that the roof integrity is maintained for water-tightness, and the MPPT solar charge controller, etc., are all installed correctly. It's quite a bit more complicated than plugging in a GPS or something.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Ditto on what Brian said. Our controller display was installed on the rear basement wall and was easy to change to lithium (we have two BB LiFePO4 batteries). Follow each step in the instructions in the manual, though. If you don't do it exactly, the settings won't be saved. Ask me how I know...

Rob

PS on the solar system and two BB batteries: yesterday was a very long travel day for us (about 7 hours). We had about three hours of sun in the morning, but then it clouded over and rained for the last four hours. When we arrived at our destination, we set up in a drizzle (still heavy overcast). I unhitched, leveled, and put out the slides before connecting to shore power. Before plugging in, I glanced at the controller. The batteries were still at 13.6 volts and the solar panel was putting out 40 watts! I though that was pretty amazing for 5:00PM with a heavy overcast. Of course, the residential fridge was still at 38 deg. and the freezer was -2.

Rob
    I just picked up a S class with the factory solar and have been in touch with BB about upgrading to the lithium batteries so that will happen shortly. Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar. Our PDI tech was unhelpful with the solar so I am curios what order you start shutting things off and on when you are leaving a site and when you go back to hook up to shore power. I don't want to do any harm to the system if both systems (shore and solar) can't be powered at the same time so I'd just like to know the proper procedure to get the inverter running for the travel days. I see there is a disconnect on the ceiling in the front compartment and perhaps an inverter power button on the wall in the basement.

Thanks!
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar.
    You just turn the inverter on when you're ready to unhook shore power. Or, just leave the inverter on all the time. The factory solar system has a transfer switch that will use shore power if available. If not, it uses the inverter and batteries.

Same goes for the solar charge controller. You can either turn it on when you're ready to unhook on travel days or just leave it on all the time.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast