User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I really don't want to give up my F-150. I love it. I traded in a 2005 ram crew cab and the difference is night and day. I had tons of problems with the dodge and between issues with the truck and the local dealers, they'll never get a dime of my money again. At the time I had a second kid on the way, and the ford cab was the only one that let us do 2 rear facing seats. If we didn't want a travel trailer over 5000 pounds I'd be keeping it and putting another 70,000-100,000 miles on it before I even think about a new one. While not using it for work, I probably use it as a truck more than the average joe.

Honestly, I know it would tow a 2400BH or its competitors, but I work in a field where weight is critical (hence the "pilot" in my screen name), and I can't in good conscious put my family in the truck knowing I'll be over one of those posted numbers. Put me in the weight police category. I'm cool with it.
    pilotpip - I know we have had another discussion on the capabilities of the F150 . . . but I can certainly understand your situation . . . particularly with young kids and all their “stuff” to bring with you. If upsizing your truck is what you decide to do, I think the first decision is whether you will stay gas or go diesel. If you stay gas, a 3/4 ton will have about 3000 lbs of payload. More than enough and lots of selection on dealers lots to help you negotiate a good deal. If you go diesel, I second the recommendations here to consider a one ton. Because of the weight of the diesel powertrain, a 3/4 ton ends up with only about 2200 lbs of payload. Way out of proportion for what the diesel can pull. A one ton diesel will have about 3500 lbs of payload.

Since you have the F150, it would be interesting to try towing your new trailer with it, before making the decision to get a bigger truck. The F150 might surprise you .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it would pull it just fine. However I have a longbed, with 3.31 gears and a massive payload of only 1375. When we started looking, I was thinking 5000lb hybrid or something like an XLS. Wife doesn't like it, wants something we won't outgrow in 3-5 years. Plus our mission has changed even more as my father in law will likely soon own hunting property that we'll be spending a lot of time at. I want to be able to put my ATV in the bed while towing. That's absolutely out of the question with the 150.

As far as payload is concerned, you're correct. The diesel takes away 800-1000lbs. As much as I want one, economically I can't justify it. This has to be my daily driver. Right now with diesel at a $.50-.90/gallon premium around these parts I would never recoup the up front purchase price and difference in maintenance costs. I could buy a nice gas 250, and a reasonable daily driver for less than the up front on a diesel.

I must not be alone in this thinking. I see a lot more gas 3/4 and 1 ton trucks than I did 5 years ago, and they're nearly impossible to find used in the St. Louis area right now. Diesels are all over the lots, not selling yet they're still carrying a massive premium.

Again, I appreciate all the input, and opinion. Civil discussion doesn't seem to be easy to have when it comes to this topic.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pilotpip , good input , maybe the best one I have seen. I think the reason some go to diesel is for the "ease" of towing. Good enough reason for some but I do like your reasoning for the gas.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the problem in recent years has been the lack of serious gas engine power. Back in the days when they were still making the 454, 460 and the V-10 Dodge I think gas engines were much more palatable for towing heavy loads. When they downsized to 6.0 and 6.4, etc. it seemed they gave up on serious gas engines for towing. If they'd make a powerful gas engine by today's standards I'd seriously consider getting one. Maybe Chevy is going to get serious with their new 2020 gas engine, but no idea what that's going to be yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumor has it Ford's new gasser will be 7.3L. That'a about 400cid.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty View Post
    Rumor has it Ford's new gasser will be 7.3L. That'a about 400cid.
    A little over 400CID.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.3L.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	16714
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    A lot of the problem in recent years has been the lack of serious gas engine power. Back in the days when they were still making the 454, 460 and the V-10 Dodge I think gas engines were much more palatable for towing heavy loads. When they downsized to 6.0 and 6.4, etc. it seemed they gave up on serious gas engines for towing. If they'd make a powerful gas engine by today's standards I'd seriously consider getting one. Maybe Chevy is going to get serious with their new 2020 gas engine, but no idea what that's going to be yet.
    The 6.2 ford is rated at 380 hp and 430 ft-lb of torque. Those aren't far off from the 362hp/467ft-lb of the V10 in it's final version. Mated to a better transmission, and the truck is nearly 1000lbs lighter overall, it's probably about a wash. Both are far better than the old L19 chevy 454.

My 05 ram 1500 with a hemi got worse mileage, and had much less power than any of today's V8 choices.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    The 6.2 ford is rated at 380 hp and 430 ft-lb of torque. Those aren't far off from the 362hp/467ft-lb of the V10 in it's final version. Mated to a better transmission, and the truck is nearly 1000lbs lighter overall, it's probably about a wash. Both are far better than the old L19 chevy 454.

My 05 ram 1500 with a hemi got worse mileage, and had much less power than any of today's V8 choices.
    I agree that new engines are better in many ways. I wasn't comparing an old 454 with one of today's engines. But 430 ft-lb or torque isn't even close (less than half) to the 900+ of a newer diesel engine. I'm saying that they need to do better with a gasser that can tow at least somewhat comparably to a diesel. Diesel fuel here in Arizona is about 80 cents a gallon more than gas. If there was a gasser that I felt comfortable towing a big load with I'd go buy one today. There isn't one out there that interests me. I hope Chev comes up big with the gasser they put it he 2020 model. We'll see.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see what a ford coyote could do if it got the ecoboost treatment. 500ish hp, 700ish ft-lb of torque would be great to have down around 1500rpm.

I drove a 19 F-250 last night with the 6.2. I was impressed. For a smaller travel trailer, or for someone that doesn't have a lot of hills it will more than fit the bill. I have no desire to own a 5er at this point in my life. If I did, I'd be buying a 350 with a diesel, and putting an aux tank in the bed. A 2400 will more than suit our wants for several years. Most of the gas engined 250s I've looked at have been around 3000lbs on payload capacity for a well equipped truck. I feel much more comfortable with that than the 1375 on my current 150. I can buy a ton of gas for the $10,000 diesel premium.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured I would update this thread since I started it. After going to 5 dealerships in the area selling ford and GM products, I went to the last one last night with the intention of ordering an F-250 set up exactly how I wanted it. While talking to the sales manager, he asked what I wanted to tow (gave him the specs on the 2400BH) and asked me why I thought my 150 wasn't up to task. I told him my payload number on my 13. Told him I looked at a couple 16s with the 6 speed and didn't think the 200-300lb gain was worth it. He says "Have you looked at the 18-19 with the 10 speed transmission?" Nope.

To make a long story longer: I put a $500 hold on an 18 F150 super crew with max tow, 3.55 gears and a 1850lb payload (500 pounds more than the current truck). The purchase price will be 10,000-15,000 less after incentives and rebates, plus I'll like the 20mpg driving it every day.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast