User Tag List

Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentleman,
    What I am looking for on the "broken spring hanger data" thread is to try and corner what contributing causes we could link together to maybe understand the problem
    Everyone who has had a problem does not give enough info to form an idealistic "guess" as to the root of the problem.
    I have not had a broken hanger but am intrigued with this and thought it might be some interesting info if those with the issue provide some good info.
    If in disagreement let me know and I will delete thread.

Thanks Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why the people don't install the Mor/ryde IS suspension ,no more problems with the axle,hangers etc.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Edit: Where was the shiny section of the hanger that finally broke loose? Was this at the front of the hanger or the rear?
    Hi Jim @MidwestCamper,

I missed this question on the original discussion. The last part of the hangers to break were the forward ends. This was brittle fracture break with little or no deforming or twisting in any direction. It just "snapped" the last bit.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteio View Post
    I don't know why the people don't install the Mor/ryde IS suspension ,no more problems with the axle,hangers etc.
    Hi peteio - This is primarily an economic decision . . . the MORryde IS is not cheap.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim @MidwestCamper,

I missed this question on the original discussion. The last part of the hangers to break were the forward ends. This was brittle fracture break with little or no deforming or twisting in any direction. It just "snapped" the last bit.

Rob
    Rob,
    It makes sense that the hanger would be failing from the back toward the front. The V clips re-enforce this directly where its needed...fore and aft and mainly at the back. It may not be a tearing of the material but just a crack that forms in the heat affected zone that spreads forward. The torsional forces that we understand from heavy braking puts this strain right at the rear hanger. For side to side loads, Pats panhard bar setup would correct this fully but for a cheap fix, the X factor bracket on the center hanger will reduce much of this motion by preventing the bending side to side of the hanger and frame.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled into Desert Hot Springs CA for the holidays. During setup I noticed a problem with the shackle between the passenger tires. Severe wear like it was not lines up properly. Took a few pics. Checked rear spring hanger. No longer attached to the frame. Ouch!
    We have an early 2017 Reflection 303RLS purchased in October 2016.
    Lots of questions.
    Is this covered under the 3 year warranty?
    Obviously I want to get it fixed or upgrade to a better suspension. We are half timers and tend to move around rather than stay put in one spot for the winter. I am looking for a long term solution, not a quick fix.
    All suggestions are appreciated, including repair shop recommendations.
    I hope to get this corrected so I can make it to Quartzsite for the Rally.
    Looks like new tires will also be on my Christmas list.
    Bruce

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bruce.a.anderson; 12-23-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bruce,

Your pictures look very familiar . . . you will find a near identical set with post 1 where I started this thread.
    Reading back through this entire thread will take a while, but you will then be well versed in why we think this happens.

Some have had their original hanger parts welded back together . . . and this could be a temporary repair if it is your only option. I think the correct repair is to get a new hanger from LCI, have the base of the old one cut off and the new hanger welded on. There is a reinforcement called a "V Clip" described earlier in this thread. When you are having the hanger replaced, I would have the welder fabricate and install the reinforcement . . . there is not much to this additional piece.

That tire wear pattern is another concern. How many miles and how many tires look like this?

As far as warranty coverage . . . I would at least talk to GDRV Customer Service about this . . . you never know . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bruce,
    My story starts on post #41 of this thread. I had our 2016 broken spring hanger repaired in a remote location by a mobile welder. I contacted Grand Design and they referred me to Lippert who reimbursed me for repair costs. They wanted lots of pictures. It's worth a call. Good luck on your repair and I hope to see you in Quartzite.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019

Site Sponsor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both front tires are ok. Both rear tires were fine when we left Sequoia National Park on Thursday. Upon arrival in Desert Hot Springs Saturday, we travel slow, about 350 miles, the passenger rear tire has no tread on the outside edges! Wow.
    The middle shackle has significant damage and I will replace that also. Wondering if I should upgrade both sides. Will check other posts for shackle info as well as tires.
    Contacted GD customer service 2 days ago. Hope to hear back on Wednesday or Thursday.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Bruce

Site Sponsor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentil View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    My story starts on post #41 of this thread. I had our 2016 broken spring hanger repaired in a remote location by a mobile welder. I contacted Grand Design and they referred me to Lippert who reimbursed me for repair costs. They wanted lots of pictures. It's worth a call. Good luck on your repair and I hope to see you in Quartzite.
    Dennis
    Thanks for the info!

Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast