User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD Solitude 344GK - Another SRW vs DRW question.

Hi all,

I know there has been a lot of questions on SRW vs DRW and the majority clearly recommend the DRW. Seems like there is a silent minority that tow Solitude's with SRW wheel base. Let's hear from you.

Do you consider a SRW a capable and safe vehicle to tow a 344GK or similar Solitude?

How does it handle?

I just purchased a Solitude 344GK and went looking for a DRW but can't find one in the trim I want anywhere local to me. I'm considering ordering a DRW but figured I ask the SRW crowd how they feel about their truck and trailer combination.

BTW - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...188#post268188 has me convinced I can pull the new 344GK with my F250 ...then I noticed @Overtaxed bought a F450.

I know I want a DRW but I also have a few local trips (weekend getaways) scheduled already - My current TT was perfect before my wife and I went to the stupid RV show. Famous last words..."No babe, we're not getting a new trailer. We're just here to look around and get out of the house."

I definitely want the DRW before our scheduled trip to Fort Wilderness this summer (Texas to Florida). Just need to figure if Truck Month (March) is a better time to buy and just "deal" with the F250 until then. Too many decisions...lol.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not related, but enjoy Fort Wilderness! We love going there, make sure to practice backing up your trailer in tight areas. If you've never been, the road on the loops is only as wide as a vehicle and not everyone is considerate where they park their vehicles. It's a great campground and super clean overall though. Check out the Fort Fiends forum for info dedicated to Fort Wilderness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not related, but enjoy Fort Wilderness! We love going there, make sure to practice backing up your trailer in tight areas. If you've never been, the road on the loops is only as wide as a vehicle and not everyone is considerate where they park their vehicles. It's a great campground and super clean overall though. Check out the Fort Fiends forum for info dedicated to Fort Wilderness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Good advice Fort Wilderness is definitely tight quarters and all back in sites. Lots of trees. WDW is a lot of fun!. I have a different camper than yours so can’t help with your question. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info and tips - well definitely check out the Fort Friends forum.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    Do you consider a SRW a capable and safe vehicle to tow a 344GK or similar Solitude?
    Well, since you asked, I'll throw in my $.02. I personally have a GVWR limit of 15,000lbs for a SRW truck. That's not set in stone but I'd be uncomfortable exceeding that if the pin weight was unusually heavy unless I had a DRW truck. Our first 5th wheel had a GVWR of 13,995lbs and I towed it with a SRW 3500 diesel. I had zero problems with that combination and loved the truck. When we decided to get the larger Solitude 373FB at 16,800lbs GVWR (and pin heavy), we bought an F-350 DRW diesel to tow it. It also towed great but one thing really bothered me. It was a real pain getting into parking spaces. It was a long bed and our old SRW was a standard (6.5') bed and that difference in turning radius made a big difference - to me. When you couple the longer turning radius which can cause close calls with curbs and the extra width at the rear, you can get into problems.

Fast forward to now and we decided to get an F-350 SRW to tow our Solitude 310GK. The GVWR of the 310GK is 15,000lbs so it's right at my limit but we won't load it that heavy and the new truck will fit in my garage!!! Plus it will be a little easier to maneuver parking lots than our DRW.

As for your 344GK - that would be right at my GVWR limit. If it was loaded near max GVWR with a heavy pin weight (washer/dryer/big battery bank, etc), I would probably get a DRW. Lightly loaded with garage constraints, I'd get an SRW.

And one more thing - there is no such thing as too much truck or too much power. On the other hand, having too little payload or too little power can be a problem. There is nothing wrong with towing a tent trailer with a DRW F-450. Towing a large Momentum with an F-150 on the other hand could lead to trouble.

That's my story!
    Last edited by bertschb; 01-09-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, from what I've learned. Is that nearly no GD trailer, with the exception of imagine series can be pulled by a 3/4 ton, and few, especially 5th wheel with a 3500 srw. Even a 297rsts puts me near my max payload on paper. A 29rs, essentially a 297rsts in 5th wheel configuration, I'm already over.

My question to you is, do you want something that will work or something that is legal. Because just about any truck will work, but even with a 3500 drw with 4500lb of payload can technically not pull my trailer or in my opinion any of the big momentum. That being said, I had the truck before the trailer so I'm in your position as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drolaw you know I'm pro dually all the way, I've always believed in getting the right tool for the job. The best time to buy a truck in Texas is definitely during truck month in March. I ordered my F450 last month just so it would arrive in March with the possibility of the most rebates etc. If you decide on a dually order exactly what you want and get the order in quick and you should benefit as well.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know what part of Texas you’re in , but check out Blue Bonnet in New Braunfels. They have a large RAM inventory , a bunch of which are dually.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 f350 srw with a payload of 3316. I have a reflection 311bhs & with the king pin, slider hitch, & family I’m 200 pounds over my payload. Adds up so fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to tow a 12,700 scaled 5th wheel with a Ram 3500 short bed. I was shy of max payload by 200lbs using an Andersen hitch. Pulled it no problem but it pushed the truck around a bit especially going down hill. Braking was mediocre. It probably would have been better ride with a long bed. Switched to a DRW, its much better now. Not trying to convince you to change your mind, SRW may handle it but most likely you'll be close to max payload and/or rear axle rating. I guess it depends on the model of SRW truck your using. For internet comparison of vehicle costs, check out vernon auto group website. They do alot of internet sales and post their asking prices. Thats where I bought my last trucks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast