User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing spare tire

After lowering spare tire to ground how do you disconnect the spare from the wire? Does the butterfly looking thing unscrew?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. You simply give yourself enough slack in the cable to push the keeper out of the hub hole, tilt it, and pull it back through.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    No. You simply give yourself enough slack in the cable to push the keeper out of the hub hole, tilt it, and pull it back through.
    Thank you it was easier than I thought it was going to be

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off the OP's topic, but are all GD spare tires installed with the tire valve stem facing up towards the camper frame? I have always checked my spare tire pressure before a trip, but have yet to do so on my new unit as I can't get at it. I haven't gotten around to dropping it and flipping it over yet. Unless there is some argument such as it stops vandals from letting the air out of your spare tire (a stretch), I'm guessing they just slap it together in whatever direction it happened to be facing. I view it as a small but simple quality control item.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Slightly off the OP's topic, but are all GD spare tires installed with the tire valve stem facing up towards the camper frame? I have always checked my spare tire pressure before a trip, but have yet to do so on my new unit as I can't get at it. I haven't gotten around to dropping it and flipping it over yet. Unless there is some argument such as it stops vandals from letting the air out of your spare tire (a stretch), I'm guessing they just slap it together in whatever direction it happened to be facing. I view it as a small but simple quality control item.
    My guess is a newbie hung the spare at the factory, or if it was off a dealer lot the lowest person in the shop gets the job of putting them back (many dealers remove them because of easy theft).

Flip it around for ease! I actually added another sensor for my TPMS to monitor it. Not because of laziness, but because of an aging back that's been through some surgeries.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Timmer I dont think it's a GD thing. My spare was upside down too, but so were the spares on my F350 and Expedition. I dont know why they do it, but I like to flip them over so it's easier to check the pressure without taking them down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be that having it facing down makes the valve stem susceptible to road damage. Only a guess, but every umderslung spare I have seen is with the valve stem up.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    My guess would be that having it facing down makes the valve stem susceptible to road damage. Only a guess, but every umderslung spare I have seen is with the valve stem up.
    This is exactly the reason why. GDRV shared this with us on the forum years ago when they participated. This said, many of us have turned to spare over to have access to checking the tire pressure.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    My spare tire valve is facing downward. I don’t think it really matters.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am not sure why they mount spare valve stem up. But it does force you use the lowering system.
    RVs are not driven in the salt much but I am sure there are a lot of trucks that the spare lowering system is froze Up or
    Corroded from not lowering the spare. Murphys Law or $hit Happens will apply when you have a flat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast