User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cadillac ranch in Amarillo, TX is a quick stop that is cool. Really depends on what you’re into in what I call the Midwest states of Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas. I’d Google each state and find what interests you. We’ve found lots of cool places to visit doing that that are way off the beaten paths. But what we like may not interest others.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    It seems more and more folks are looking for routes west, things to do in Utah (National Parks), Wyoming (more national parks), and what to see at those places and how long to stay.

So what about the trip to and from.... Do folks just motor on out and back without stopping? Do they think there is nothing on the way from the eastern states to Utah, Wyoming, northern Arizona & such? Or maybe they just don't want to take the time between their eastern homes and the western attractions to sightsee oddities.

In this thread lets list places NOT IN UTAH, WYOMING or NORTHERN ARIZONA and NOT NATIONAL PARKS. Instead, tell us about some of the lesser know places to stop or visit. The guidelines would be those above with maybe a focus on what in states like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and North & South Dakota.

Here are some examples...

Hutchinson, Kansas - salt mines
    Regent, ND - the Enchanted Highway
    Cooperstown, ND - Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile State Historic Site

Happy trails....... try going where there aren't crowds.....
    Oh my Gosh! Where to start! We spent over 20 years (while still working) traveling to Colorado camping, fishing, rock climbing, etc in the Mountains. Every year on the way home we would seek out places to visit. To start in Colorado
    Crested Butte for the old mining town/old hippy eclectic fun town! And fly fishing
    Creede Co. mining town, lots of neat history. And fly fishing Old Town Colorado Springs with Garden of the Gods.
    South Dakota Wounded Knee, must see! Wind Cave to drive among wild buffalo. Wall Sd gotta visit Wall Drugs!
    Abilene Kansas Dwight Eisenhower Library & Museum, plus Abilene historical museum. Lots of western history there.
    Junction City Ks, Fort Riley Built in the 1800's & still active military base. A must visit fort! Wonderful museum.
    Tall Grass Prairie Manhattan Ks area. Wamego, Ks Wizard of Oz museum & winery!
    Iowa, Amana Colonies. Great history in this German town! Bridges of Madison County In Ia.
    Nevada, Carson City, Virginia City mining history & overall fun town. Reno Nv Balloon Fest!
    Missouri, Ozark Mtns. Rock hounding, hiking, fishing is outstanding. Bass Pro Headquarters. Branson Mo is Nashville West.
    These are but a small amount when you start looking! Legends of America dot com is another wealth of go to places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northwest Arkansas is amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... not much to do in NM... ??? That’s what we used to think.

After driving thru east/west on I-40 for years, I finally listened to a friend and decided to explore New Mexico. Long story short, we’ve now retired here (from WI) and live happily in the “high desert,” and we couldn’t be more pleased we did it. I’ve learned that NM is truly one of America’s best kept secrets. In example, where we live (North Central part of the State), our home is visited almost daily by wild horses, and much more.

If one finds themselves in the area, it’s your BIG loss if you miss the following:

Carlsbad Caverns
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsbad_Caverns_National Park

Santa Fe (Oldest Capitol City in North America)
    Santafe.org

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
    Balloonfiesta.com

Sandia Park Tramway
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandia_Park_Tramway

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Ricks National Monument
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasha-Katuwe_Tent_Rocks_National_Monument

Bandelier National Monument
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandelier_National_Monument

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Grande_Gorge_Bridge

Taos, New Mexico
    Taos.org

AND MUCH MORE!!😎

There’s a reason why so many celebrities buy hideaway homes and ranches in New Mexico... because it’s BEAUTIFUL beyond belief, and largely void of tons of people (i.e., not many people are at all familiar with “The Land of Enchantment”). Our biggest fear is that folks will catch on eventually, and the population will explode like Arizona in the 80’s.🤫

Safe travels folks!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Mesa View Post
    .... not much to do in NM... ???

AND MUCH MORE!!��

There’s a reason why so many celebrities buy hideaway homes and ranches in New Mexico... because it’s BEAUTIFUL beyond belief, and largely void of tons of people (i.e., not many people are at all familiar with “The Land of Enchantment”). Our biggest fear is that folks will catch on eventually, and the population will explode like Arizona in the 80’s.��

Safe travels folks!
    And don't forget:
    https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...ng-highway-nm/
    http://tinkertown.com/

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Colorado and have family in Ohio and Michigan so I70 and I80 are quite familiar to us. Here is my list, I80 first:
    1) stop in Knoxville IA and watch a sprint car race
    2) stop anywhere in Nebraska for Runzas
    3) detour either north from I80 or south from I90 to NW Nebraska Sand Hills and Fort Robinson. A lot of history there
    4) Amana Colonies in Iowa. They have a nice RV park, great food and fun shops. Try the fudge.

I70:
    1) BBQ and or steak in KC, worth spending the night for
    2) Worlds of Fun Amusement Park in east KC, they have a nice RV park as well. Great way to prep the kids for that all-day Kansas/eastern Colorado traverse.
    3) Waffle House at last exit west of Kansas City (last one before Denver). You can park on the street in front
    4) Wizard of Oz museum in Liberal Kahuna (kind of out of the way)
    5) Claremont Inn in Stratton Co winery, bed and breakfast and unique location in the middle of nowhere if you feel like a romantic night out of the coach. Gourmet food and cooking classes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droundtree View Post
    We live in Colorado and have family in Ohio and Michigan so I70 and I80 are quite familiar to us. Here is my list, I80 first:
    1) stop in Knoxville IA and watch a sprint car race
    2) stop anywhere in Nebraska for Runzas
    3) detour either north from I80 or south from I90 to NW Nebraska Sand Hills and Fort Robinson. A lot of history there
    4) Amana Colonies in Iowa. They have a nice RV park, great food and fun shops. Try the fudge.

I70:
    1) BBQ and or steak in KC, worth spending the night for
    2) Worlds of Fun Amusement Park in east KC, they have a nice RV park as well. Great way to prep the kids for that all-day Kansas/eastern Colorado traverse.
    3) Waffle House at last exit west of Kansas City (last one before Denver). You can park on the street in front
    4) Wizard of Oz museum in Liberal Kahuna (kind of out of the way)
    5) Claremont Inn in Stratton Co winery, bed and breakfast and unique location in the middle of nowhere if you feel like a romantic night out of the coach. Gourmet food and cooking classes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These are great ideas..... I think it is just what folks need when driving east to west.... different, odd, interesting, not often visited places rather than shooting straight from the east to the western states.

I like the tip about legends of America - gotta explore that.

Maybe I should have started a separate thread for the southern route - I-10, I-20 and I-40. But it all coming together nicely in this thread. Thanks to everyone for the input. Now we can point folks to this for ideas when they ask. Keep the ideas coming......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We anticipated an overnight stop in Thermopolis, Wyoming. Then spent four days there. There are hot springs to look at and hot springs to bathe in, a dinosaur museum, a buffalo herd, a brewery, a distillery just north, a ghost town, petroglyphs, and a canyon for rafting.

I love this thread, thanks for starting it.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    It sort of pains me you left out Texas; you know how we are. But I'll get over it.
    If you are going to get that close to Fredericksburg and San Antonio, ya gota checkout Bracken Cave. 3,000,000 bats coming out of a hole in the ground is impressive. So many that they start well before sunset so the light is good enough for more pictures than you need. Nature at it's best are the 1/2 dozen whip snakes at the entrance feasting on the bats that don't get off the ground quick enough. It is seasonal, starting with the migration from Mexico and population will vary with the brooding mothers.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you travel I-30 through Little Rock you’ll be within 1/2 mile of the Clinton Library. There is an RV park right by it on the river. The River Trail, a 20+ mile bike path, starts there as well. If coming through in spring or early summer, the Buffalo River National Park is a beautiful 1-day canoe trip.
    Rusty & Cathy
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD 6L
    Husky 32217 Centerline WDH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast