User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very timely post for me as well Timmer. I'm replacing the G Westlakes on mine before a trip to Disney in April. I planned to put the old ones on Craigslist for somebody to use on a stock trailer or car hauler etc. Turns out the tire dealer is giving me a credit for them, amount to be decided. I wouldn't consider it immoral to sell them, people buy used tires all the time.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    If that other person is willing to pay the risk for a cheaper used tired then I don't see any harm. It might be real good on a lower weight utility trailer.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    I was proving a point

Too be quite honest I am getting sick of hearing about it
    Almost to the point that one more post about “China Bomb” tires will have me sign out from this forum for good
    Unbelievable that even the op only changed them because someone suggested it and now has no issue of putting them on someone elses trailer. Even if it is a utility trailer it is still an apparent risk
    I almost guarantee that every blown tire was the fault of the owner. Period

This is always the same BS on forums like this
    The other BS is you don’t have enough truck

Tired of hearing it

Have a great day

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The other BS is you don’t have enough truck
    To be fair, that is frequently a legitimate concern. My neighbor used to pull a 30 foot TT (7500 gross) with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. After finally deciding that maybe he did not, in fact, have enough truck, he bought a RAM 1500. He is very likely still over the truck's limits, but not by near so much. It would be more comfortable with a 2500. He thinks the actual tongue weight is what the sticker says . AFAIK he has never actually taken his setup to the scales.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    This one might be interesting as I'm looking for moral guidance, which is certainly a matter of opinion. I have replaced my "Chinese bomb" Westlake tires. They have about 12 relatively short-distance trips on them (2-4 hours one direction). I would like to sell them and get some money back toward what I spent on my new purchase. My first question is, would you guys be ok selling them knowing they a reputation for poor quality? My follow up question is if you would sell them, what wording would you use in your sales post? Right now I a leaning towards selling them but I want to include a statement around quality. I'm thinking that I'd say something along the lines of "I chose to upgrade to higher quality" and "good for a trailer around town." Thoughts?
    No it would not be immoral. People upgrade to a higher reputation or quality product every day. Sell them for what they are, used Westlake E rated tires, (age) and miles on them.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Unbelievable that even the op only changed them because someone suggested it
    I posted that I did change them. I did note state my reasons for doing so or efforts on my part to reach that decision.

Thanks everyone else for your constructive communications!
    Last edited by Timmer; 01-25-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted that I did change them. I did note state my reasons for doing so or efforts on my part to reach that decision.

Thanks everyone else for your constructive communications!
    “My only concern is other people’s reviews of their quality”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first question is, would you guys be ok selling them knowing they a reputation for poor quality? ... Thoughts?
    While there have been many reported issues with these tires, there have, undoubtably been many unreported “non-issues” with the same tires. We have run ours for two seasons, and a little over 8,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. On a forum like this one, folks seem very quick to report issues, but very few take the time to report non-issues. I take most of what I read here with a grain of salt. I’ve gotten a lot of good advice from the forum, but have also seen a lot of posts from folks that, honestly, are not experts in the field that they are offering advice in. I’ll probably be changing out our E-series Westlakes in a few months, as we are taking two long trips over the coming season, somewhere in excess of 10,000 miles. I’ll be selling the Westlakes, without any moral concerns.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used mine for a flower garden. Fill 'em up with dirt, and plant bulbs or flowers. Work great.

Paint them with bright color spray paint and it's really cool.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We kept the 3 "good" Westlakes that we had replaced with Goodyear Endurance for spare backup tires on our Canada/Alaska trip a couple of years ago. We had replaced them just before trip. When we got back we gave them to our neighbor who has a couple of utility trailers he rents out.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealers have no issue selling them, and GD had no issue providing them on new trailers. Don't feel like you have to be the morality police when you decide to replace them to feel better, when large companies have decided that they are acceptable to sell to the general public. You are equipping your trailer with the gear you feel comfortable with and selling the leftovers....no different than pulling a brand new set of Firestones off a new car and selling because you prefer Michelin. List them for what they are....slightly used but good condition trailer tires. Then move on with life.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast