Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Thanks. Sometimes growing up on a farm is advantageous.
    yup, I didn't grow up on a farm, but my first full time summer job (1966) was working for a local farmer. He demanded a lot but gave a lot too, in the form of wisdom and life lessons. I was 12 at the time hoeing weeds for 75¢/hr. We worked 6 ten hour days a week; that's pretty rough on a 12-year old. Also bucked 100lb bales of alfalfa and learned to drive the butane Farmall tricycle style tractor with a hand clutch & steel seat. (no umbrella or cab). One of the greatest thing he taught me was to think in 3-D so we could modify anything and everything in our minds before we ever drew a picture, made a cut or welded any two pieces together. I still use that one lesson today by modifying just about everything I have to make it fit MY needs better than it would have without the mods.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    yup, I didn't grow up on a farm, but my first full time summer job (1966) was working for a local farmer. He demanded a lot but gave a lot too, in the form of wisdom and life lessons. I was 12 at the time hoeing weeds for 75¢/hr. We worked 6 ten hour days a week; that's pretty rough on a 12-year old. Also bucked 100lb bales of alfalfa and learned to drive the butane Farmall tricycle style tractor with a hand clutch & steel seat. (no umbrella or cab). One of the greatest thing he taught me was to think in 3-D so we could modify anything and everything in our minds before we ever drew a picture, made a cut or welded any two pieces together. I still use that one lesson today by modifying just about everything I have to make it fit MY needs better than it would have without the mods.
    Same here. Dad has been gone since '13 but nearly everyday as I am figuring out how to fix something that broke I think of what he taught me. Too bad most of today's kids don't get the chance to grow up on a farm
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked under my 2021 337 today thinking about doing somthing similar! No bolts it's welded directly to the frame. Wondering about others welded or bolted? Thank you Mike.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
    I checked under my 2021 337 today thinking about doing somthing similar! No bolts it's welded directly to the frame. Wondering about others welded or bolted? Thank you Mike.
    That's interesting. Wonder when they started doing that? Both my '16 and '18 have bolt on.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooTingSTar View Post
    We took our two Honda 2000 gens to Alaska with us in a Torklift Lock and load basket on the trucks front receiver hitch. A few days into the trip after nearly hitting idiots who pulled right in front of us at highway speeds within 1 hr of crossing from WA into BC, Canada I got to thinking I wonder if the trucks air bags would deploy if I had not been successful at locking up the brakes and sliding around the idiots. One I passed on the breakdown lane of the right lane to avoid slamming into the rear of the idiot.

After some discussion we decided to move our generators and rack to the rear bumper. This lasted only two days as the roads through BC and the Yukon on or way to Alaska were so rough that it was bending the steel parts of the Lock and Load holding the generators and securing them.

So back on the front they went where they rode fine. Just decided there was no room in our travel plans for a front end collision. After 8,000 miles we returned home after a very fun trip with no disasters. Just a lot of trailer breakage due to frost heaves, pot holes and construction zones along the Alaska Hwy.

During day one of our two day transit north up the Cassiar Hwy I began chatting with a new arrival in a large Class A coach from Florida. Asked him how his day was going. He said, better now that I'm off that road. Damn, I hope it doesn't get any worse going north. I replied, oh you haven't seen nothing yet, I lived in Alaska for 25 years before retiring and moving back to WA. Have done the Hwy many times. It gets much worse before you enter into Alaska. We had a rear ladder chair rack on our last 5er. 3 chairs with rack and a very nice Sunbrella heavy fabric cover with heavy nylon straps around it and the ladder to hold it in place that Sally had made for the Alaska trip. We got into an RV Park in Tok, AK and while cleaning up the interior disaster I discovered everything on the ladder, chairs, cover, straps were all jettisoned during the days travel. Totally gone! $350.00 in chairs, rack and fancy cover to protect them from the dust and mud.

My point is if you head for Alaska attaching stuff to the rear ladder or bumper that hang out. They will take a terrible beating on the roads up north. Not to mention being filthy at the end of most days. When we traveled from Tok to Dawson on our return we took the Top of the World Hwy. We overnighted in Chicken, AK. Next day I debated locking in the trucks front hubs but decided not to. (having had previous experience on this road segment in past years) During a couple sections we were plowing through 6" of mud on the road due to recent rains in parts of the route. When we got to Dawson that night we spent around $25.00 at the RV park RV wash station power washing the rig so we could get near it and not get covered in mud. That and be able to see out of the 5'ers windows. Our mostly white trailer was brown. Running boards had an inch of mud on the tops of them.

George
    Ah...the memories! Have driven the Cassiar three times and the full Alaska Hiway once all while pulling our Reflection 337. Those are challenging roads for sure, but keeping speed down...and waaay down over frost heaves, had no problems...just a few tons of dirt and mud. Did see a pickup camper laying in a ditch where it bounced out of its truck...suspiciously close to a large...and obvious frost heave. With a little caution it is a great, albeit very long trip. Nothing on my trailer broke or fell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Nicely done for sure. You're a man with a certain set of skills I'm impressed, I wish I could weld.
    Exactly! A whole new world of being handy.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234