User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed the RV Lock on our old TT and loved it. It lasted 5 years and we never replaced the batteries. I'm sure that was because we didn't use the FOB and had that off. We never found a need, ever, to use the FOB with the code.

I just installed the RV Lock Compact right hand on our 2021 31MB today. It works better than our TT. The swing handle clears fine and I like the design better than the original V4.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2017 Chevy 2500HD SB Diesel
    B&W Turnover Goose & Andersen Ultimate

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanibel Beemer Fun View Post
    So I’m wondering if I should pay the $239 for the RVLock keyless lock for my 350m or go the Alibaba route and buy direct from the manufacture in China for only $75 plus $19 shipping, including the batteries, wireless remote, and screwdrivers for the install?

Has anyone else purchased one of these locks via Alibaba?
    I tried ordering one from there, but it was a minimum of 5 pieces to place an order. I'm not sure what I would do with the other 4. Ebay?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

For Christmas my wife wanted a keyless lock for the main camper door. I purchased the RVLock Compact Right Hand RVLock Keyless Entry Handle.

Attachment 31390

Some notes on installation:

• I had seen on other sites that the locks tend to have issues if they aren't well lubricated with a dry lubricant. I liberally sprayed it with a dry lube before installing.
    • The new lock was tight for the physical hole. I was able to push it in against resistance. Had it not been a cold winter day, I probably would have taken a few minutes to file away some material so I didn't have to jamb it in.
    • The ribbon battery cabling is fairly long, and they instruct you to tuck the excess "into the void." There really isn't much void, and my note for others is you need to be very careful that the location does not interfere with or potentially rub on moving parts. The easiest places to tuck the cable would have rubbed on those parts, so this was a bit challenging and you had to watch it carefully as you put the back of the unit in place.
    • Once installed, I could only get the door to latch by pushing quite heavily from the outside. I couldn't get it to latch at all by pulling or even slamming it shut from the inside. The first thing I did as a test was take the door frame strike plate off altogether and tested, and then the door closed and latched fine. This gave me hope that I'd be able to adjust the plate and resolve the issue. I ended up having to move my plate up, as well as provide room to adjust it, so it was even with the the opening on the frame (couldn't even have the plate be just a hair deeper than the wall). I don't love drilling new holes. The good news is one of the original holes was covered by the plate and I intend to put some silicone or something in the other so it's not noticeable.

Review:

To be fair, I will admit that I struggle with the price of the unit for the functions that it provides. It's a whole lot of money for the luxury of not having to stick a key in a hole. As a matter of fact, pressing the buttons takes longer than inserting and twisting a key. Again, it was a gift to my wife and she likes it, so I'll let her judge the value. It seems to work fairly well - briefly hold one button and it locks, press a few buttons and it unlocks. I'm not sure how much we will use the key fob as the whole goal for us was to not have to carry a key when hiking or swimming, etc so it wouldn't get lost. I could maybe see using the key fob right upon arrival to the camp site so we don't have to deal with a key even right out of the gate. Given the high price, I was hoping to see a high level of quality. Unfortunately, I am disappointed. Aside from some of the inner workings, everything is plastic, including the housing, inside handle, and outside handle. The thin plastic keypad makes a crinkle noise when you press the numbers, which seems cheap. Also, the numbers are small, and both my wife and I were inclined to use the tip of our our finger / finger nail to push the numbers. However, after testing it, we realized we left nail indents, which seem permanent, which adds to my thinking the materials are cheap. Given it now showed indents on the 4 numbers we chose for our combination, we went through the process of setting the code again because it was now obvious which 4 numbers we set. I'm sure waterproofing and space usage were a consideration in their button design, but I've seen other small and waterproof keypads use rubber buttons. One positive thing is that given the plastic material, I don't think the numbers will rub off. Also, the inside handle is very shallow. There is not much to grab onto in order to close the door. For the money and functionality, I would like to see more metal in the construction, especially the handles, a larger inside handle, and more rubberized style buttons.
    Thanks for your honest review.... I was on the verge of ordering the main door lock today, since there is a "sale" going on... but I've also had the same thoughts about price/benefit... and now that I hear how the quality is, or should I say isn't, I think I will bow out of purchasing it... a key works just as fast, if not faster... and it is easy to hide a key somewhere in case you lose the one you are carrying...
    Cowboychincs
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel Platinum
    Castle Rock, CO

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Wow, thanks for posting that review. I've been considering getting a combo lock for my rig since sometimes I need to enable access for people when I'm not around. Maybe I'll just lock the RV key in my truck and they can use the truck combination lock to get it.
    Here is what I am using when I need to leave a key with the RV... safe and secure... and fairly inexpensive...
    https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7...6546745&sr=8-2
    Cowboychincs
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel Platinum
    Castle Rock, CO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got thr rvlocks on my door and storage compartments and wouldn't go back for anything. I got a good deal on the storage compartment locks used off marketplace. Well worth the money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12