User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather Info While on the Road

Curious how others get advance weather information while traveling. We dodged a bullet last night by happenstance and it made us think. Thursday night we stayed in Marion, AR on our way south. We already had plans to stay last night (Friday) near Alexander City, AL. Knowing the forecast for the day was going to bring potentially severe weather last night, we did get on the road and to our destination in AL by 4:00PM. You may have heard of the terrible storms that went through AR, TN, and Kentucky.

Here's my challenge. We became aware of the severe weather potential on Wednesday when my Dad inquired as to exactly where we were staying the next couple of nights. He told us about the large threat window. On Thursday while in AR I used the antenna to search local stations to watch the news but it didn't pull any in. So, we relied on phone apps like The Weather Channel. The problem I am having is that I cannot get a radar or forecast that goes out a few days while on the road like I would at home. At home, the local stations will show the 7 day forecast high level, and show a radar of what's expected over the next 24-36 hours or so. While on the road, if we want to adjust our travel plans due to weather, we need to know with a bit of detail more than 6 hours in advance. But how do you do that if you cannot rely on local stations? We're in AL now, and on our TV I can put in the zip code, scan for channels, and I'm not seeing any local stations with news coverage. What gives? How do you all plan travel around weather? Or don't you?
    Last edited by Riverbug; 12-11-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both the weather channel and accu weather mobile apps and see the radar and long range forecast.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I use both the weather channel and accu weather mobile apps and see the radar and long range forecast.

Do you pay subscriptions for them? I see that TWC gives a 24 hour radar with a subscription. We only have the free 4 hour version right now. I was looking at TWC on my laptop and seems like there are more videos/forecasts available there than on my phone.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, it's the weather network that I use. I don't pay.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to admit I pay little attention to the weather.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Curious how others get advance weather information while traveling. ...How do you all plan travel around weather? Or don't you?
    We use the weather info on our phones. Also, most places we watch the local news reports on the TV.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Windy app. Used by long haulers and full-timers alike.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with a battery operated weather radio. You can find channel listings on http://https://www.weather.gov/nwr/station_listing

You need to know what county you are in. It hasn't been used in a long time but if in an area where severe weather is expected it can be a life saver... This reminds me to check the batteries since it's been a long time since we have needed to use it
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Weather Bug app along with the Windy app on our phones.

We typically have a target week of travel and adjust it one or two days either side if weather looks like it will be an issue.
    This year traveling south for the winter, we adjusted the departure 10 days ahead of schedule based on the 10 day forecast at our home in MT.
    We were ansy pansy to get south to warmer weather.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff. 108 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.weather.gov/
    This will work on your phone (at least on my Android ) It's a bit clunky at first but you will find all you need and then some. I've been using it for years now on my PC and phone. This where most of the websites and apps go for forecast information so why not go to the source?
    I haven't tried it but NOAA now has a subscription app... CLIME https://climeradar.com/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-12-2021 at 05:06 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast