User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you lock the entry doors to the RV to make it more difficult for someone to intrude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    If I had to store my trailer in a storage lot I'd get a small, battery-powered GPS tracker so I'd known almost instantly if the trailer was moved. I don't have an personal experience with the devices but have read about them for years in various motorcycle magazines.
    I was looking at those and they all require a > $20 monthly fee. Plus I'm not sure I trust their battery backup to last long as I'll bet it's LiPo battery that will likely get baked here in the storage lot in the desert.

Since one hobby I have is electronics projects, I was probably going to make a DIY asset tracker out of this. It only costs $3 a month for the cell service (3MB data limit). I haven't developed all the details, but once done I can manually request the location any time I want. It would also have some super cap or more temperature stable backup power that would send alerts when the RV power was disconnected.

A side benefit of this would be I can use that device to control any other things on my RV when new ideas arise.
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AustexGP-where in Texas was this ring?? DFW??

DD.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our area has a large number of thieves and burglars. It got so bad that someone came up with a Facebook account "Stolen Stuff of the Tennessee Valley" with well over 23,000 members. If anyone in the region has a theft or burglary, it's often posted online and 23,000 people are watching for vehicles, ATV's, UTV's and other items. Many thefts now are being recorded on CCTV, Ring and other camera systems and the perps' pictures are posted online. Very often, the thieves are identified within minutes, and legal authorities place warrants for their arrest. I cannot tell you how many thieves have been picked up and vehicles recovered.

It's very important that if you have boats, ATV's, UTV's or motorcycles that they be kept inside locked garages if at all possible. And the garage should have cameras and monitored alarms. It's more that when you will be hit rather than if you'll be stolen from.

We were recent burglary victims, and I have been dealing with a fraud investigator from the homeowners' company. They cleaned us out on sterling silver flatware and my wife's diamond rings kept in a big gun safe. I'm also having to spend $2500 replacing a front door unit that has been kicked in. Needless to say I'm very security conscious and installing elaborate monitored alarms and camera systems on both my main house and the lake house. Needless to say, everything of value is now kept in a bank vault.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. I'm getting one so I can tell if it's being moved while I'm out hiking etc.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    The moral to the story I think is to not buy a house in an area with a HOA!! ]
    That's the moral to a WHOLE lot of stories. Having lived in both the out of the way country and in HOA communities, "you couldn't pay me enough" comes to mind for going into an HOA (at least at this point in my life). Pay all the bills for the house, pay the taxes for the land, maintain it all, and then have to beg for permission to repaint your front door (actually happened to me)? No thanks, learned my lesson, won't be doing that again.

Where I live now, I didn't need a permit to put up a huge pole barn. Not a single permit. Park the RV right next to the barn, again, nobody to complain, can't see it from the road, plenty of cameras on it that I own and control, a few signs up "Smile, you're on camera", and not a thing gone missing in years. I don't even lock the RV (or the barn), if someone is stupid enough to smile for the camera, by all means and good luck.

Also, doesn't hurt that we're in the country and every household has at least 5 guns for every man/woman/child/dog/cat/hamster in the house. You willing to die to get some kick knacks out of an RV? Seems that most people aren't.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is parked 8 feet from our front door, with 3 cars and a truck parked in front of and alongside it. Someone's going to have to be really quick and stealthy to get it.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, this thread is almost 3 years old.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12