User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bouncing from Elkhart to Phoenix, those brakes are broke in. Delivery probably used the trailer brakes exclusively on those descents. It's a known problem by GD.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD has authorized a mobile tech to come check it out, including the onsite fees. I bought new so I'd get a warranty. May as well use it, even though I'm the type who loves to fix his own stuff. I'll be doing a bunch of mods myself but since the brakes are kinda important, I'm gonna pass on doing this as my first DIY job and leave it to the professionals...

I'll post an update tomorrow evening with findings.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brakes were awful when I picked up mine. I had it back twice to my dealership and asked them to check and adjust the brakes. They did not adjust them, and their "check" was to pull the breakaway switch. I finally bought a brake spoon and adjusted them myself. I do it about every 4000 miles while on the road. It's easy to do.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    My brakes were awful when I picked up mine. I had it back twice to my dealership and asked them to check and adjust the brakes. They did not adjust them, and their "check" was to pull the breakaway switch. I finally bought a brake spoon and adjusted them myself. I do it about every 4000 miles while on the road. It's easy to do.
    Just wondering, do you adjust to the point where the wheel just "starts" to drag, or go a little bit further? I've always been concerned about going too "far" and putting additional wear on the brake pads.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Just wondering, do you adjust to the point where the wheel just "starts" to drag, or go a little bit further? I've always been concerned about going too "far" and putting additional wear on the brake pads.
    I tighten them until I cannot turn the wheel, then back off until there is a very slight drag. Tightening them ensures that the shoes have full contact with the drum before backing off.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    GD has authorized a mobile tech to come check it out, including the onsite fees. I bought new so I'd get a warranty. May as well use it, even though I'm the type who loves to fix his own stuff. I'll be doing a bunch of mods myself but since the brakes are kinda important, I'm gonna pass on doing this as my first DIY job and leave it to the professionals...

I'll post an update tomorrow evening with findings.
    Looking forward to hearing your report.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tighten them until I cannot turn the wheel, then back off until there is a very slight drag. Tightening them ensures that the shoes have full contact with the drum before backing off.
    OK thanks. I'm about 4K miles since my last adjustment so probably about time.

Looking forward to hearing what @uwskier finds out about his brakes. GD seems to be pretty serious when it comes to these kind of issues under warranty.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Mobile techs came out and pulled off all drums. There was no grease splattered about the drums, which was a good thing. However, it appears the shoes were never properly burnished. The centers of the shoes were completely glazed and the edges of the shoes showed to be in like-new condition. Technician said it looked like they'd been badly overheated. I reckon @Gronk1 is correct that transport was using the trailer brakes on the descents around ABQ and PHX. Anyways, they re-surfaced the shoes and cleaned up the drums. I'm heading out tomorrow to find some country roads where I can re-burnish the shoes per the Lippert manual. I'm hoping to get a good mating of the surfaces after several heat cycles.

The other thing they noticed was that my brake controller will put out 14v when set to max boost and actuated via the lever, but only about 3-4 volts when the brake pedal is depressed with the truck parked. But I think this is by design with a proportional brake controller. If the internal accelerometer isn't sensing decelerating force, it won't put out full voltage, right? At least this is my understanding of how these things work (Tekonsha P3).

Also, the factory left one of the four dust caps off. I only have three dust caps. That's annoying.
    Last edited by uwskier; 01-22-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got resolution but sad to see the reason why. Definitely annoying, especially with ac simple thing like the dust cap. Maybe it fell off with one of the transporters?

Hope all is well on your drive tomorrow.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same experience with my brakes and dealer did the same.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast