User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Silverado 6.0 or Duramax . want Or need ?

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The difference in values where I live is much greater. But, even if it was only $6,000 that basically pays for the upfront cost of the diesel which was my point.
    I hear ya, but some of the diesel fanboys seem to think having a diesel engine allows them to recuperate ALL those up front fees that are paid when it was new and it’s just not the case. For my truck, the diesel option was about 9 grand. Before we bought our diesel F250 we shopped around for months trying to decide between gas and diesel, Chevy, Dodge or Ford, and never found more than $7k difference, on any used truck. But we were looking specifically at 3/4 tons, that were 3-5 years old, I suppose it could be different for larger or newer trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Here are the engine specs the OP was considering:

Current truck (5.3 gas)
    315 HP
    335 torque

6.0 gas
    360 HP
    380 torque

6.6 diesel
    397 HP
    765 torque

Torque is what moves our RV's. The 6.0 gas engine does have a little more torque than the 5.3 gas but the diesel has more than twice as much! If you want to notice a difference in performance while towing your trailer, you need to get the diesel. The 6.0 would be better than the 5.3 but not by much.
    I wanted to point out at what RPM those values are generated at

2017 6.6 duramax
    445 hp @ 2800 rpm
    910ft-lb @ 1600 rpm

2019 6.0
    360hp @ 5400rpm
    380ft-lb @ 4200 rpm.

When I am pulling at 72mph my rpms are at 1750. With or without head wind.

I like how the engine doesn't wine while driving it.

I agree he doesn't need a diesel and most of us in flat country don't. However it is nice to have one. By moving from a 1/2ton to a 3/4ton will make a world of difference. Then if you mate that with the diesel Allison transmission and having an exhaust brake is just Icing on the cake. I do have a sugar tooth. So do I need a diesel? No but do I like having one? Yes.
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
    I wanted to point out at what RPM those values are generated at

2017 6.6 duramax
    445 hp @ 2800 rpm
    910ft-lb @ 1600 rpm

2019 6.0
    360hp @ 5400rpm
    380ft-lb @ 4200 rpm.

When I am pulling at 72mph my rpms are at 1750. With or without head wind. I like how the engine doesn't wine while driving it...
    I'm definitely no engine expert but this is something I've been curious about since I started towing with this diesel, so perhaps someone can let me know whether or not my logic is sound...
    I know that in certain scenarios the gas engine above "could" tow let's say Bob's trailer up the whatchahooey 8% grade for 10 miles, but if it is screaming along at 4,200-5,400 rpm, isn't that going to shorten the life of that motor? Maybe I'm way off, but in my mind, a motor that is being pushed that hard is causing a certain amount of damage. Maybe it is a false sense of security, but this is why I just "feel better" about towing with a diesel. When it is "straining" I'm at "maybe" 2300-2800 rpm tops. It just seems to me that it isn't working as hard, and isn't doing "as much damage" as that gasser screaming along at 4 or 5000 rpm.
    Like I said, maybe I'm way off, but this is what I tell myself.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMB - A gasoline engine running below its redline RPM is not causing damage to itself . . . it is doing what it is designed to do. I'm not sure what you expect to be "the certain amount of damage that will shorten the life of the motor", but I think you are relating RPM to engine damage . . . which is not a valid correlation. All engines are "tortured" for thousands of hours at their redline RPM on the engine dynos during development, to make sure that bearings, valve trains and cooling systems are up to the tasks expected of them. Internal combustion engines range from stationary diesels running at 200 RPM to Formula 1 engines running at 15,000 RPM . . . all operating within their design parameters.

It is true that the average diesel engine will run for more hours than a comparable gasoline engine and there are a lot of reasons for this, beyond just RPM. A diesel endures much higher internal forces due to the higher compression ratio and higher torque inherent with compression ignition engines. This is why a diesel engine weighs twice as much as its gasoline counterpart, in the first place. Diesel fuel burns more slowly than gasoline, which is the key reason that diesel engines run at lower RPM.

Probably the most common high RPM application for gasoline engines (other than on the race track) is in boats. It is not uncommon to set a boat at wide open throttle and run that engine at redline RPM for hours . . . which it will do for years . . . if properly maintained.

Have you ever wondered if your diesel will damage itself because it is running at a 20:1 compression ratio rather than the 10:1 compression of a gasoline engine? Or, what about that turbo running at 100,000 RPM? The answer is "no" because that is what they are designed to do.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-21-2018 at 06:06 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for setting me straight Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TyeeMan,

I did not see what speeds you are/were towing at. With all engines, as the speeds increase, load will increase due to aerodynamic drag. There is a balance in this loading and the fact that at higher RPM, your also producing more torque. However, there is a sweet spot in load and RPM (not an issue for higher RPM as long as oil temp is good), and drag. All gas engines will run hot as this loading is increased and to cool the cylinders for metal protection and catalyst protection, additional fuel is added to cool the combustion chambers. This is in both naturally aspirated and turbo charged gas engines. So the goal is to find this balance and to keep just below the speed where this enrichment occurs. For long uphill pulls, enrichment cannot be avoided in any gas engine. For turbo charged gas engines, RPM at these higher speed/loads will be lower, but the enrichment is still needed since cylinder temperatures still need to be held in check.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    But this is an RV forum - what are these numbers with seven tons of RV on the back? [grin]
    Some may want to consider the 6.2 liter if they want to stick with a 1500 series truck. Excellent real world fuel economy and it will last until your just tired of the same truck. For those that care about the 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, it will not disappoint.

420 hp @ 5600 rpm
    460 lb-ft of torque @ 4100 rpm
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Some may want to consider the 6.2 liter if they want to stick with a 1500 series truck. Excellent real world fuel economy and it will last until your just tired of the same truck. For those that care about the 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, it will not disappoint.

420 hp @ 5600 rpm
    460 lb-ft of torque @ 4100 rpm
    I had a '16 F250 6.2L and there is no comparison to my '17 F350 6.7L. The kerosene burner will flat set you back in your seat. The 6.2L couldn't pass a gas station without stopping. Just the convenience of using the truck lanes is enough to justify the change.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John (SouthTX) - This website lists the 2016 F250 6.2L and the 2017 F350 Diesel both at about 7.4/7.5 seconds 0 - 60. There may be a perception that the diesel is faster, but the stopwatch doesn't support this. (Obviously, if you are towing 15,000 lbs, the diesel will be way faster )
    https://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/pickup-truck/

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    John (SouthTX) - This website lists the 2016 F250 6.2L and the 2017 F350 Diesel both at about 7.4/7.5 seconds 0 - 60. There may be a perception that the diesel is faster, but the stopwatch doesn't support this. (Obviously, if you are towing 15,000 lbs, the diesel will be way faster )
    https://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/pickup-truck/

Rob
    I have a '17 6.7 and I agree, it is an animal. The reason the 0-60 times are similar is that Ford cuts ways back on torque in the first three gears because the traction control can't keep up, it's in the owners manual. If I punch mine from a light you can feel the tires break loose and then its cuts power until fourth gear. If you want a real rush drive one and floor it from 4-5-6th gear, THEN you get the full power!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast