User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short bed non sliding hitch

Good morning all, looking into a new truck with in the year. I have always had a short bed with a monster pullrite sliding hitch. Love the hitch but it weighs a ton and takes up the entire bed. Can’t swap it to the new truck because of mounting and frame changes so since I’m buying a new hitch anyone towing a Solitide with a short bed and a solid hitch? Do I really need a slider? On a really tight turn will the cap clear the cab?
    Any info would be great!!
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had anyone tow a Solitude or Momentum on a short bed with a non-sliding hitch.

Reflections and other 96" wide, but not 101+"...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    Good morning all, looking into a new truck with in the year. I have always had a short bed with a monster pullrite sliding hitch. Love the hitch but it weighs a ton and takes up the entire bed. Can’t swap it to the new truck because of mounting and frame changes so since I’m buying a new hitch anyone towing a Solitide with a short bed and a solid hitch? Do I really need a slider? On a really tight turn will the cap clear the cab? Any info would be great!! Don
    Our truck had a BackRack on it, adding about four inches behind the cab of our short-bed truck. We towed a Reflection on a Pullrite slider and it was no problem.

When we picked up our Solitude on the Pullrite it nudged into the BackRack before the dealer tech stopped me, slightly marking the trailer. I took the BackRack off and I have no-worries turning again, but that's how close it is even WITH the 14" of slide the Pullrite provides. Something less than four inches to spare, maybe only a couple of inches, in sharp turns.

I'd love to get rid of the huge heavy Pullrite but I've been in more than enough tight parks and gas stations to know that I need it. Aside from my forgetfulness, I literally wouldn't be able to do some things I've needed to do if I had a fixed hitch.

An alternative to the Pullrite is a manual slider, something with which you get out, unlock, move the truck to slide back, and get out and lock again. A number of guys here do that and like it. Aside from my aforementioned forgetfulness, I'd have issues doing that in the entrance driveway to a gas station, for example.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one time you turn and blow out that back window and/or damage the cap you'll regret it.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depending on the truck brand the short beds are varying lengths with Ford being the longest. The dimension to the cab is also differant. Then add in that some non sliding hitches can be offset (B&W, and Reese) to the back you may get the clearance you need. Are you getting the factor puck systems 5th wheel prep package? Ultimate solution is just get a manual slider hitch like the B&W one or Reese Titan R20 with a manual slider base. Both brands come apart for easy removal (head, rocker, base)

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. Think when the time comes I’ll just get another pullrite slider. I’ve had the hitch for years and have made some very tight turns and Never had an issue or had to think twice about it.
    Thanks again
    Don

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    Good morning all, looking into a new truck with in the year. I have always had a short bed with a monster pullrite sliding hitch. Love the hitch but it weighs a ton and takes up the entire bed. Can’t swap it to the new truck because of mounting and frame changes so since I’m buying a new hitch anyone towing a Solitide with a short bed and a solid hitch? Do I really need a slider? On a really tight turn will the cap clear the cab?
    Any info would be great!!
    Don
    Why won't the hitch work in the new truck?

I have a pullrite autoslider as well. Mine is Configured to use ISR industry standard rails. It looks like if it was set up to utilize their other system. On mine all I would have to do is bolt on the adapter piece to fit a different style style rails/system. Took a second look at yours might just need a cheap adapter piece. However mine is the 16k rated one.
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used all types of hitches in an effort to tow with a short bed, because I find short beds are more usable when not towing.
    5th Airborne, Reese, Pullrite, etc. and while they do the job, they're heavy, take up bed space, and are expensive. I sold my brand new $2800 Pullrite after seeing the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, spent $400 and 1/2 hour, and away we went with less chucking, weight, and turning hassles.
    We've since pulled a heavy Toy Hauler over 100,000 miles coast to coast, in all types of weather (except snow) and gale force winds with no issues whatsoever.
    It really is the Ultimate hitch in my estimation.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Curt slider breaks down to 2 pieces. It's easy to disassemble and remove from the truck. It still takes 2 persons to take the base out, but it is a lot lighter. I have the Curt A20 model.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]