User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Can you list everything that was turned on when you got those last readings....the 47amps and the 15 amps
    Electric fireplace, water heater after letting water out to make sure on electric, hair dryer, tv, a few led lights, refrigerator (although probably no compressor at time of test), microwave
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Rob, Xrated, or whoever cares. The person assigned to electrical duties wasn’t much help. We did trouble shoot and found that we were able to get leg one up to 47 amps, while leg two was at 15 amps. That’s 62 total amps! That was also after he replaced the circuit breaker. He doesn’t know much and couldn’t figure a way to confirm with his multimeter if my EMS is reading properly. I tried it with mine at the plug, but also am not familiar with how to do this.

I spoke with Progressive Industries, who said that they believe the circuit should break whenever the two numbers of the legs add up to more than 30 in my case (with a couple point margin for error). They think the unit will protect the trailer but also wanted to confirm if it was agreeing with what the post says.

If anyone can explain an easy way to do this with a digital multimeter I will attempt it, otherwise I may have to let it go and make sure I don’t overload it.
    Steve,

The only way I know to measure amps is to have an AC AMP clamp meter. You could put it around the red wire and then the black wire in your breaker panel and get and the measurement there. Add the two measurements together and that would give you total AMPs going thru the breaker.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Have you turn all the breakers off at the RV circuit panel and looked at the EMS to see if it is reading any AMPs? Then turn one on at a time and see which one pulls a large load? I could be a faulty reading in the EMS. At 62 AMPs on a 30 AMP cord is going to get hot quick and should have tripped the breaker on the post.

2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjaike View Post
    Steve,

The only way I know to measure amps is to have an AC AMP clamp meter. You could put it around the red wire and then the black wire in your breaker panel and get and the measurement there. Add the two measurements together and that would give you total AMPs going thru the breaker.
    Okay, the guy here at the park had that ability on his meter, but was trying to do it around the one big EMS connector. I’ll see if I can get him to open the box up and see if that will do the trick to compare. Thanks.

I can reach each prong with the plug pulled slightly. If anyone knows a way by touching the prongs with the multimeter, I would be interested also.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to measure current (amps) you have to be in series or use a clamp. Meaning the meter must be in the correct mode and the red lead will usually have to be put in a different socket on the meter. Then the meter must be in series with the hot lead. It would be hard to do in your situation.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjaike View Post
    Steve,

Have you turn all the breakers off at the RV circuit panel and looked at the EMS to see if it is reading any AMPs? Then turn one on at a time and see which one pulls a large load? I could be a faulty reading in the EMS. At 62 AMPs on a 30 AMP cord is going to get hot quick and should have tripped the breaker on the post.

The EMS reads 1 or 2 amps when we just have the converter on and maybe a light and tv. It appears to increase appropriately as I add the larger items. The RV cord is a 50 amp cord, not 30.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your adapter is only rated for 30 AMP's and that may get hot.
    Last edited by bigjaike; 05-22-2019 at 04:40 PM.

2014 Harley Tri-Glide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve (@Steve7)

I think you should invest in a “clamp ammeter”. These are available many places, but if you are going to make this investment, look for a meter that can measure both AC and DC current. The commonly available meters measure AC only and this will accomplish what you need right now, but for a few more dollars, you will have a meter that you can use to diagnose the 12V circuits as well. Once you have this tool, you will wonder how you ever figured things out without it .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Steve (@Steve7)

I think you should invest in a “clamp ammeter”. These are available many places, but if you are going to make this investment, look for a meter that can measure both AC and DC current. The commonly available meters measure AC only and this will accomplish what you need right now, but for a few more dollars, you will have a meter that you can use to diagnose the 12V circuits as well. Once you have this tool, you will wonder how you ever figured things out without it .

Rob
    I’ll review these tonight Rob. Thanks
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I did a quick estimation of the current that the devices you list as being on and came up with about 55-56 amp. You didn't list the Converter, which was probably on and if at full charge mode, could be pulling approx 5-6 amps.....which would put you in the 60-62 amps of current draw when you total L1 and L2. Again, this was an estimation because I do not know exactly what each one of those devices are pulling.....but it seems very close to what the EMS was indicating was happening. That being the case, the 30A breaker at the pedestal should certainly have tripped.

And as a secondary "problem" the guy that has been working on the Electrical stuff at the park (I refuse to call him an Electrician....HE'S NOT) is certainly NOT capable of doing any Electrical work, especially when you stated that he tried to use the Amp Clamp around the entire 6/4 cord instead of the individual wires ...L1 and then L2. Be very careful of allowing him near your stuff.....he is most likely a hazard to both himself and to others around him. Is there any possibility you can move to a different spot? There is still something very wrong with a situation where a 30A breaker is not tripping with that amount of current running through it.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-22-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast