Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to quiet down an RV furnace

Every RV we have had has a noisy furnace. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make it more quiet? I have thought of wrapping it (the furnace and blower) in insulation if there is room. I had hoped that our 303rls might be better than the other units, but after using it last week one evening it is as noisy as any of the others.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    Every RV we have had has a noisy furnace. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make it more quiet? I have thought of wrapping it (the furnace and blower) in insulation if there is room. I had hoped that our 303rls might be better than the other units, but after using it last week one evening it is as noisy as any of the others.
    I've not noticed that the furnace is exceptionally noisy on our rig.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The furnace in our Momentum is pretty quiet whether you are inside or standing outside by the unit. It makes much less noise than one of the AC's running. I wonder if the plenum is securely screwed into the rig or some ducting is loose to make noise. There's not a lot other than an unbalanced fan or bearings going out on it to make noise.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems like you’d be able to hear the furnace more in a bumper pull since it’s behind a paper thin wall as opposed to a fifth wheel, where it’s under the floor, which is substantially thicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just accept that the furnace is loud--as are roof mount a/c units.

We usually heat our fifth wheel with the electric fireplace and small ceramic cube heaters where anyone is at the time. There again, we're only moderately cold in the Mid South.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

We’ve been using a Mr. Heater Big Buddy propane heater the past 4 months, to keep things toasty while we’re watching TV or whatever then when we go to bed we turn that off and use an electric blanket to keep warm since we always have plenty of juice in the batteries.

Rarely ever run the furnace, unless temps are below freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always had the furnace that sounded like a jet engine. However, our 2017 Reflection 27RL has a very quiet furnace. I don't know what they did, but I love it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use the fireplace a lot, its surprising how much heat comes from it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rstarc View Post
    We also use the fireplace a lot, its surprising how much heat comes from it.
    Agreed, very surprised.

Just a note to say my GD furnace is much louder than our previous Jayco TT. Something is different, I don't know if it is related to placement, but we hardly run ours due to the noise, plus like @Bamaman most of our trips are in the southernly direction.