User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm installing Timbrens on my rig in the spring that if set up correctly should help with this condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timbren TRA1702.pdf  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I'm installing Timbrens on my rig in the spring that if set up correctly should help with this condition.
    So you are going to put Timbrens right on the trailer?
    This is interesting if so.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    What great information and observations! The conversations appear to revolve around the Lippert system. Would these same dynamics apply to either the Dexter or Morryde (not IS)?
    Thanks for the kind words...

Its currently based on Lippert because that is what I have and drew up. I would just speculate that the actions of the suspension could happen with any equalizer suspension with Over Slung spring. I'm not drawing up all the different mtg. setups to find out.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Hmmm, not sure but I don't think they will help. Reactions seem to want to pull, the spring away from where the Timbren would be mounted. Maybe the weight transfer to the rear spring would compress it enough to contact the Timbren. Maybe the front would pull up high enough to contact it. Saying this with no actual experience, just looking at the forces and reactions in video.

Take some videos when it gets warmer, about the same angle as the equaflex video and see? It would be interesting.

I got to get me one of these cameras. What was that link again to Christmas wish list
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Pat . . . I do like the way you think “outside the box” .

Rob
    Rob,

While you are somewhere in sun you can try this on the front axle.

1. Install a 6" airbag ontop of each front axle and spring
    2. Install Panhard Bar
    3. Take a hacksaw and cut off springs just behind axle
    4. Weld the equaflex solid so rear spring does not sag.
    5. Road test
    6. Done

6 easy steps. KIDS, don't try this at home.....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The weight transfer in that video doesn't worry me nearly as much as watching the spring hanger flexing from side to side. No wonder they break.
    And the frame flexing just above the spring hangers and the axles moving side to side on turns! Holy cow there is a lot going on in the video!

Seems to me that if using a center equalizer, a bump stop would need to be added to limit the center equalizer's rotational movement so that the front tire could not come off the ground.

On the other hand it got me to thinking, what if you didn't have a center equalizer. Each leaf spring had dedicated hangers on each end. Not just "U" hangers butt welded to the bottom of the frame but individual hanger plates extended up the side of the frame similar to the picture above with a center support between the plates and fully welded to the frame, not just tack welded in some places. The front tire would never come off the ground under braking. Seems to me the load would be born by both axles almost evenly minus the deflection in the tires. And a panhard bar to limit axle side to side movement.
    But maybe to harsh (bouncy?)a shock wave transmitted into the frame with each end of the springs firmly anchored to the frame so add ears to the frame plates and lower spring plates to install shock absorbers. Are we talking independent suspension?

Could it be that manufacturers deem the type of suspension seen in the video and acceptable risk verses the cost of a more robust suspension? Watching that video brings all kinds of questions into mind.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-29-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: additional comments
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option for trailer axles.

https://www.autoflexsuspensions.com/trailer-flex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ba884d_81e2de9474f54471a6dfcf9653a85990~mv2.jpg   ba884d_a8901334cd8d4786a9d7d7cc6a869195~mv2.jpg  
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Hmmm, not sure but I don't think they will help. Reactions seem to want to pull, the spring away from where the Timbren would be mounted. Maybe the weight transfer to the rear spring would compress it enough to contact the Timbren. Maybe the front would pull up high enough to contact it. Saying this with no actual experience, just looking at the forces and reactions in video.

Take some videos when it gets warmer, about the same angle as the equaflex video and see? It would be interesting.

I got to get me one of these cameras. What was that link again to Christmas wish list
    Pat,
    The front spring and axle is moving toward the frame not away from the frame under heavy braking. Since GDRV has moved to 4400 lb axles and springs, I will keep my current setup and will add the Timbren 600lb units above the axles. This will act as bump stops which is needed on all trailers and can also be used to prevent overtravel of the equalizer and lifting of the front axle. Another thought is a modified equalizer with bump stops to prevent over rotation. I don't think this issue is too difficult to correct.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    So you are going to put Timbrens right on the trailer?
    This is interesting if so.

Brian
    Brian,
    Yes I have been thinking of this for some time now and I think its time to install them. They have a 600 lb kit that I am interested in and the rubber springs can be purchased in a variety of custom lengths. Another member contacted me awhile back through PM who is looking into the sumo springs. The Timbrens mount to the frame above the spring and the sumo spring mounts to the axle on top of the u bolt tie plate.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim
    This is interesting. Will wait to see your install and report.

Brian

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast