User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Hi, while I don’t mean to be disagreeable that may have been the case with “your father’s” truck but certainly is not the case any more. While I fully agree the basic chassis is the same, brakes, suspension, transmission and axles can absolutely be different, at least with Ford. I throughly researched this before buying my ‘17 F350. YMMV.

Jim
    This is so true. My '17 F250 diesel had the Sterling 10.5 inch ring gear that Ford has used for 20 years in 3/4 tons. 3.5 inch axle tubes and 35 spline axle shafts. The new dually uses a Dana 300 axle with an 11.8 inch ring gear and 5 inch axle shafts. If you crawl under and look its huge!! The SRW F350's use a Dana 275 with a 10.8 inch ring gear, still strong but not as big as the dually one. I read online somewhere that the dually axle weighs close to 1000 pounds!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned both 3/4 and one ton dually chevy, and The 1 ton dually are heavier all the way around.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    This is so true. My '17 F250 diesel had the Sterling 10.5 inch ring gear that Ford has used for 20 years in 3/4 tons. 3.5 inch axle tubes and 35 spline axle shafts. The new dually uses a Dana 300 axle with an 11.8 inch ring gear and 5 inch axle shafts. If you crawl under and look its huge!! The SRW F350's use a Dana 275 with a 10.8 inch ring gear, still strong but not as big as the dually one. I read online somewhere that the dually axle weighs close to 1000 pounds!
    I agree, I found that Ford has been upgrading through the years and now, even the 250's get the Dana. Still, no matter the year, if you look at the GAWR in the rear of both trucks, it simply reflects the rating of the tires that are originally installed. On both trucks, either of the axles themselves are rated much higher in reality.

I pretty much was talking about older trucks and I see there are a few more differences than there used to be. The most significant gains in weight ratings comes from adding higher rated tires, or a couple of tires, not some entirely different frame or component.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123