User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Rob&Vicki,

If you don't mind, maybe you could post the part numbers for the 2,200-lb. springs and associated hardware that Grand Design sends you. Since we've already got the upgrade to rubberized equalizers, wet bolts, and heavy-duty shackles on the list of planned modifications, swapping out for stiffer leaf springs could be conveniently accomplished along with the other suspension work, and might be a good preventive measure to avoid the flat springs / rubbing tires that other Imagine owners have experienced.
    129745 is the Lippert part number but I will verify if they are the same when the springs get here. The price is around 56 bucks per spring and if you do what I'm going to do you'll need just 2 for the heavy side. The street side springs are good and still have a good arch to them. I have a few more projects to do on this trailer after the suspension. One issue we have is a voltage drop problem from the batteries to the power distribution box (fuse panel). Batteries will show 12.6 but at the fuse panel it's down to 11.8 volts. After seeing Cate&Rob with a picture of excess wires wrapped up I'm sure that might be part of that issue along as I noticed at the circuit breaker is a drop. The breaker is located outside just behind the battery boxes out in the open. I plan on moving the breaker to inside the battery box and possibly using a mega fuse instead. And a few plumbing issues to straighten out. These are great trailers but as others have pointed out, QC could be better.
    Last edited by Rob&Vicki; 01-27-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool:

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rob&Vicki - I like your perspective and plan for this. I went through exactly this same thing on my Reflection 303, a few years back. I think your axles will be up to the task and your plan/logic on side-to-side springs is absolutely correct. GDRV and LCI would never "authorize" me to put stronger springs on the heavier side. I did this anyway (as have several others) and the basic engineering supports this rationale. Search on F=Kx for all the basic engineering (that LCI refuses to acknowledge) behind what we are correcting .

Just my 2 cents worth . . .
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    @Rob&Vicki - I like your perspective and plan for this. I went through exactly this same thing on my Reflection 303, a few years back. I think your axles will be up to the task and your plan/logic on side-to-side springs is absolutely correct. GDRV and LCI would never "authorize" me to put stronger springs on the heavier side. I did this anyway (as have several others) and the basic engineering supports this rationale. Search on F=Kx for all the basic engineering (that LCI refuses to acknowledge) behind what we are correcting .

Just my 2 cents worth . . .
    Rob
    After reading what you have been through and what you did to correct the problem it only made sense to do what you did. I also think that putting the 2200# on the light side might be more than needed, to much spring.
    I've seen some wiring and plumbing that could be cleaned up and made neater especially around the water pump and water heater. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to wiring. The trailer light junction box up front is one item I'm changing to a plastic junction box made just for that and it's waterproof. Also will take the coraplast down and see how the wiring is in there. Eliminate problems before they happen I hope.
    Rob, you have a wealth of info and I thank you for that!
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    Apparently they feel the axles are sufficient enough to handle the weight but are approving 2200 lbs springs. Disappointed it turned out this way but at least they have approved the springs. We will keep a close eye on the axles in case they start having issues. Since I have a full set of 1750 lbs pound springs I will install two 1750's on the street side as that side is only 2840 lbs. The curb side is 3360 lbs, almost to the max weight of the 1750's and that's with the trailer emptied out so I will put 2200 lbs on that side. At the same time I will put in wet bolts and MORryde equilizers plus check the ride height of the trailer and if need be, use spacers to lift trailer so the tires won't rub the underside.
    We are disappointed in the outcome regarding the axles as they are definitely to light. I was told by GDRV the reason for the heavier axles and springs on the 2019 is the slide mechanism is heavier but I pointed out the difference in uvw between my unit 2018 and the 2019 was only 48 lbs according the weight stickers on the trailer. And also told them the slide side wasn't the issue.
    I will say Emily was very helpful in resolving the spring issue of getting the wrong ones first and finally getting the right ones we needed. She was great to work with.
    We will get this trailer where we want it eventually!
    Rob,
    Looks like you have a good plan. Since GDRV is approving the 2200 lb springs on the 3500 lb axle, this helps build confidence that all the components will handle the heavier springs. Good to know. I installed new 1750 lb springs on my 2600RB which so far seem to be holding up where we have been far more diligent in loading for better balance. The 2600RB is fairly balanced at around 100lbs additional weight on the curb side when loaded. With the CRE3000 to help absorb some of the road shock I hope to get buy and will monitor this closely. I've also been contemplating on installing Timbrens or Sumo Springs to supplement as well for a variety of reasons. It also helps to know that the heavier springs are being approved by GDRV as a simple solution.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    129745 is the Lippert part number but I will verify if they are the same when the springs get here.
    I would have thought the leaf springs would be Dexter parts instead of Lippert. I know the frame is Lippert, but the axles on our Imagine 2800BH are Dexter and the solid equalizers have a Dexter logo cast into them too. I assumed that Grand Design bought axle assemblies complete with leaf springs, mounting hardware, etc. from Dexter to attach to the Lippert frames. Does your Imagine have Dexter or Lippert axles?
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought the leaf springs would be Dexter parts instead of Lippert. I know the frame is Lippert, but the axles on our Imagine 2800BH are Dexter and the solid equalizers have a Dexter logo cast into them too. I assumed that Grand Design bought axle assemblies complete with leaf springs, mounting hardware, etc. from Dexter to attach to the Lippert frames. Does your Imagine have Dexter or Lippert axles?
    Joe - Good Observation! The axles would be supplied to GDRV with springs attached. Dexter axles would have “Dexter” springs. However . . . these would very likely be the same Chinese springs used by LCI.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely have Lippert axles and springs on my 2800BH and it's a 2018, plus they are rated 3500 lbs. The tags on the axles say Lippert. What does your tags on the axles say? Now I'm really curious as I thought they only had the Lipperts in the 2018 models but changed to the Dexter 4400 lbs axles for 2019. I'm hoping you have the heavier axles.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely have Lippert axles and springs on my 2800BH and it's a 2018, plus they are rated 3500 lbs. The tags on the axles say Lippert. What does your tags on the axles say? Now I'm really curious as I thought they only had the Lipperts in the 2018 models but changed to the Dexter 4400 lbs axles for 2019. I'm hoping you have the heavier axles.
    Our 2018 Imagine 2800BH has 3,500-lb. Dexter axles. I thought that Grand Design changed from Lippert to Dexter axles on the Imagine trailers in late 2017, but I'm not sure.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2018 Imagine 2800BH has 3,500-lb. Dexter axles. I thought that Grand Design changed from Lippert to Dexter axles on the Imagine trailers in late 2017, but I'm not sure.
    I think the earlier models had Dexters in them but they were a smaller tube and weren't holding up to the weight so the switch was made to Lipperts with the bigger tube. I don't know the time frame when that happened. Then the 2019's were upgraded to the Dexter 4400 lbs axles, just shortly after we bought the 2018.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit OCD when it comes to wiring. The trailer light junction box up front is one item I'm changing to a plastic junction box made just for that and it's waterproof. Also will take the coraplast down and see how the wiring is in there. Eliminate problems before they happen I hope.
    You'd do your fellow 2800BH owners (and the rest of us here) a service if you'll document what you do, how you accomplish the work, the time it takes to execute each upgrade, and the resources required. Cate&Rob's examples (in PDF forum) are the gold standard (IMO) here on the forum. Try and copy his format/depth of information and you'll be on the right track.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast