User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mounting flag Question

DW wants to be able to hang her assorted flags on a pole similar to what you mount to the side of your house. I have seen a few of those mounted on the hitch up front....bracket with pole. Do most folks mount those with self tapping screws?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello KirbyRVA,
    I have put a flag pole holder like you asking about on my kingpin. I would suggest you pre-drill the hole first with a smaller bit then what your self tapper is, or you will use up double the amount of self tapping screws( know from experience ). A bit of cutting oil would also help.
    Good luck on your project.

John Joscelyne
    Last edited by Joscelyne3; 02-02-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    DW wants to be able to hang her assorted flags on a pole similar to what you mount to the side of your house. I have seen a few of those mounted on the hitch up front....bracket with pole. Do most folks mount those with self tapping screws?
    We use a "boat style" flag pole mounted on the pin box. Details in post 5 here . . . https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...6574#post56574 I am not a big fan of trying to get small self tapping screws to bite but not break in heavy steel. Much easier to drill and tap the holes for small bolts.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-02-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a bumper mounted telescoping pole. We store the pole in the pass-through storage in a PVC pipe mounted to the bedroom floor structure. The receiver on the bumper is a bolt-on 2" receiver with an aluminum "L" bracket. We have had this setup out in 35mph winds and it has held up great. Easy to see just about anywhere in most campgrounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_15.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	931.6 KB 
ID:	17490
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are also numerous kits to mount a flag pole to the ladder.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    We have a bumper mounted telescoping pole. We store the pole in the pass-through storage in a PVC pipe mounted to the bedroom floor structure. The receiver on the bumper is a bolt-on 2" receiver with an aluminum "L" bracket. We have had this setup out in 35mph winds and it has held up great. Easy to see just about anywhere in most campgrounds.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_15.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	931.6 KB 
ID:	17490

Where did you get that flag pole and hitch mount? It looks really nice compared to alot of the ones I have seen
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    Where did you get that flag pole and hitch mount? It looks really nice compared to alot of the ones I have seen
    Here is the link to flagpole supplier. http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com

I have the 20 ft pole with the "L" bracket and fly the nylon flag for the FW. I used this on my TT for 3 years and moved it over to my Solitude 4 years ago. I use a solar light (https://amzn.to/2SEUohT) at the top and fly 24x7 while camping.

You can see the solar light on the top of the pole.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_385.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	17579

I have the same, different color, 20 ft pole in the front yard of my home and fly the Polyextra flag 24x7. I replace the Polyextra on average every 14 months. I have permanent LED ground spot lights that run dusk to dawn on the home flag. This pole have been in the front yard 13 years.

There stuff is a little expensive but I an attest that it has been a very good investment.
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    Here is the link to flagpole supplier. http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com

I have the 20 ft pole with the "L" bracket and fly the nylon flag for the FW. I used this on my TT for 3 years and moved it over to my Solitude 4 years ago. I use a solar light (https://amzn.to/2SEUohT) at the top and fly 24x7 while camping.

You can see the solar light on the top of the pole.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_385.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	17579

I have the same, different color, 20 ft pole in the front yard of my home and fly the Polyextra flag 24x7. I replace the Polyextra on average every 14 months. I have permanent LED ground spot lights that run dusk to dawn on the home flag. This pole have been in the front yard 13 years.

There stuff is a little expensive but I an attest that it has been a very good investment.
    How sturdy is the pole? Can I mount a directional antenna on top of it?
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    How sturdy is the pole? Can I mount a directional antenna on top of it?
    You will experience sway with the pole. I wouldn't recommend a directional antenna on this pole.
    2018 Ford F350 DRW