Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question King antenna continued issue

Very old topic, but looking for any new solutions to the age old awful problem of extremely poor reception using the King antenna. Old camper had the old “wing” antenna and would get 5-8 local channels in same camping sites at one park we use 6-8 times a year. The most I can get with the new trailer and King antenna is 3 and normally only 2. They have rewired from the antenna to the signal booster and out to both TVs. Works good if I’m like no more than 20 miles from tv towers. I’ve used phone apps to point the antenna. Also used the King signal strength meter. Nothing helps. Will add the AC unit is not blocking the antenna from the direction of the desired tv towers. Help!
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this has been covered before. And I'm pretty sure I comment then on it too. But (IMO) there is no substitute for hight when it comes to antennas. And why GD decided to put the antenna just next to an AC unit is simply because it was easy to get to on the inside (why care about reception - GD's version of fluff over stuff).

I cam really close today to buying a Winegard RVW-395 Sensar IV antenna. I though Camping World had one at a great price but found it for $98 on Amazon. So I think I'll just order that and put it on.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have searched the interweb high and low for honest to God reviews and pretty much gave up. One thing I learned in speaking to a tech at a store that sells pretty much only antenna's and parts for them is, for all practical purposes, there's no substitute for height - IOW's even though that crank up thing is a PITA to remember, it gets the antenna up where it can do its thang. Another thing he said that it was their experience that the Winegard's tended to pull in more and/or further stations than the King counterpart.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I think this has been covered before. And I'm pretty sure I comment then on it too. But (IMO) there is no substitute for hight when it comes to antennas. And why GD decided to put the antenna just next to an AC unit is simply because it was easy to get to on the inside (why care about reception - GD's version of fluff over stuff).

I cam really close today to buying a Winegard RVW-395 Sensar IV antenna. I though Camping World had one at a great price but found it for $98 on Amazon. So I think I'll just order that and put it on.
    I agree with you, but still hoping after several months someone has found a solution. I always carry my dish, but need the local channels for the bedroom. Not going to buy another receiver just for that when the darn antenna should work. Come on Grand Design! It’s a Solitude not a cheap entry level trailer.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-Antenna/page3

You might check out this thead as well. We had good reception of 15-20 channels that went down to 2 only. An internal rg6 cable inside the antenna easily breaks and i posted my repair beginning in post #24 of this thread.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-Antenna/page3

You might check out this thead as well. We had good reception of 15-20 channels that went down to 2 only. An internal rg6 cable inside the antenna easily breaks and i posted my repair beginning in post #24 of this thread.
    Thanks, I've seen that thread and many like it about the rg6. I think I just need to print off all these threads on issues found and take it to the dealer. Unit is still under warranty.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    Thanks, I've seen that thread and many like it about the rg6. I think I just need to print off all these threads on issues found and take it to the dealer. Unit is still under warranty.
    Speaking of which.....and you're not gonna like what I say - hell, probabably many of you are not gonna like what I say.

When I dropped the coroplast belly to do my tail light mod, amongst the wires were three coax cables and they each had a coax splice connector (screw on type). Two of the three were lose enough I could easily screw them off the connector with my fingers. So I got some pliers and made sure all the connectors were tight. Why in the Sam Hills GD has so many coax splices is beyond me. All I know is that just about every where I've come into contact with a coax termination - splice and/or wall plate - I've found the connection loose. And my paranoia makes me wonder where else these coax cables are spliced that I can't see.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    Speaking of which.....and you're not gonna like what I say - hell, probabably many of you are not gonna like what I say.

When I dropped the coroplast belly to do my tail light mod, amongst the wires were three coax cables and they each had a coax splice connector (screw on type). Two of the three were lose enough I could easily screw them off the connector with my fingers. So I got some pliers and made sure all the connectors were tight. Why in the Sam Hills GD has so many coax splices is beyond me. All I know is that just about every where I've come into contact with a coax termination - splice and/or wall plate - I've found the connection loose. And my paranoia makes me wonder where else these coax cables are spliced that I can't see.

Tom
    ^^^ 2x
    My experience has been the same ... and my thoughts also match your's. I wonder when I am going to finally find all of the loose connectors.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem. Several connections were lose, even on the booster. turned out to be a bad booster and all worked after the dealer replaced it.
    Eddie and Donna
    Jake and Bella (fur-kids)
    2020 Solitude 390 RK-R
    2019 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)
    2015 F350 6.7 Lariat Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read thru some of the amplified antenna specs. You'd think the King Jack would be on top b/c of it has the highest amplifier gain.
    I expect antenna height trumps the gain. Doesn't help King Jack uses the sub-minature/thinline coax that has higher signal loss than RG6 coax.

Amplifier Gain - https://www.solidsignal.com/t.asp?ta...enna-amplifier

LOW PROFILE
    King Jack OA8200 • OA8201 - Gain: VHF 20 dB, UHF 25 dB
    OA8200 WHITE • OA8201 BLACK Owners Manual

LOW PROFILE
    AntennaTek LPDA 100 - Gain: VHF 20 dB, UHF 22 dB, FM 20 dB
    http://www.antennatek.com/antenna_lpda100.php

Crank Up
    AntennaTek LPDA 200 - Gain: VHF 20 dB, UHF 22 dB, FM 20 dB
    http://www.antennatek.com/antenna_lpda200.php

BATWING Crank Up
    AntennaTek Model 550 - Gain: VHF 16.5 dB avg, UHF 21.0 dB avg
    http://www.antennatek.com/antenna_mdl550.php

BATWING Crank Up
    Wingard Sensar IV - Amplifier Gain VHF 15.5 dB average UHF 19.5 dB average
    http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...%20Wingman.pdf
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast