Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Now we know that your truck is more than capable of towing either unit so it seems it comes down to payload. There are others here who tow 14K GVWR campers and report their pin weight around 2800-2900 lbs. It's easy to think that you won't max out trailer weight but speaking from my experience it really can add up quick. If you consider a 2900 lb pin weight and your truck has roughly 3,500 lbs of payload, that leaves you 600 lbs for everything you plan to put in the truck. Passengers, food and drinks, the hitch, gas cans, generator, firewood. Anything you've added since the truck was built takes away from the payload. Running boards, bed liners, tonneau cover rock tamers are a few examples.

If you confidently feel you pack lightly and budget isn't a concern, I'd go with the 311. Having the 12 cu ft fridge is a must for me. If you plan to bring the grandkids, you need extra room for food. The bunkhouse is great and the full outdoor kitchen is awesome. You'll also appreciate the extra slide out in the master bedroom. I run a Ram 3500 SRW with a 12K fifthwheel and it seems solid to me. No issues with passing vehicles or crosswinds we have here. Good luck with your choice and if you haven't already you may want to look at a 28BH.
    Thanks Jason. I wanted the 28 bh for just the sake of towing comfort but wife did not like the bunk area at all- at least compared to the 311.
    Are you happy with it? Do you think you would have bought the 31 mb if it had been available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really like the 28BH. It's absolutely the right fit for us. It's a good match for my truck as well. The 311 was too much camper for my gasser. The 31MB is a very nice layout but the one thing it's missing is the 12 cu ft fridge. That's a big negative to me.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 317 is listed 10600 dry. The pin is actually 3000 on the nose. I had a v10 F250 with similar payload as you, I now have a dually. Not too many trucks can handle the pin, hitch and occupants while not being close or over. I did a lot of math before setting on the drw but it's all that could handle my pin weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Have the 28BH...we love it..the only problem is with that huge rear storage compartment. I have so much room, every single camper I have looked at now does not come close to matching the outside storage I have. I don't think I can ever change campers, I would have to leave too much stuff behind.
    Kent & Melissa
    2017 Ford F350
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on 5th wheel weights and towing

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Brian's comments hit the nail on the head. Plan on 20%+ of your 5th wheel LOADED weight for pin weight. Do not go by unloaded pin weight listed on a marketing sheet. That # has no reality to actual pin weight once you load up everything in your unit. Depending on "how" you load the unit will very pin weight. To play is very safe take the max trailer weight (12K or 14K) and plan for 20-22% for pin weight. Now, Rob on this sight tows a 303 (12K max) with his F150. He is VERY careful how he loads his unit, in both location and amount, and measures his pin weight to keep him safe. I tow a 303 with my F350SRW and just don't even think of pin weight since I know I have plenty of overhead. Look at your door sticker payload number and compare. Remember payload on the door of your truck is BEFORE anything you put in the truck (you, your wife, the grand kids, the 5th wheel hitch, everything stuffed under the back seat, etc... Your payload can be very different then mine based on what options, tires, and trim levels you have for particular vehicle. You don't state if you have a gas or Diesel F350 that will change the truck payload by 700+ pounds.

Jim
    Do you need to add the weight of the gas along with all other extra items for payload? I have a 2500HD and all the brochures said about 3400 lb payload. Then I look at the sticker and it says 2915. I was pretty shocked so wondered if the sticker was allowing for a full tank of gas and the rest was trim, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by deano17; 03-09-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Silverado 2500 Gas, std Bed, 2 WD
    BW Companion

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deano17 View Post
    Do you need to add the weight of the gas along with all other extra items for payload? I have a 2500HD and all the brochures said about 3400 lb payload. Then I look at the sticker and it says 2915. I was pretty shocked so wondered if the sticker was allowing for a full tank of gas and the rest was trim, etc.

Some have said the sticker already accounts for gas/fuel. The best way is to weigh the truck then you will know.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brochures conveniently fail to mention that the payload figures are for a completely stripped, regular cab truck. Every option added (crew cab, larger wheels and tires, etc., etc) deduct from the truck's available payload. I was a victim of that none-too-minor distinction due to my ignorance and now I'm a member of this forum's TwoTimeTV Club. (My previous F-250 wasn't rated for what I wanted to do. See my profile picture to see my former and current truck.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    The brochures conveniently fail to mention that the payload figures are for a completely stripped, regular cab truck. Every option added (crew cab, larger wheels and tires, etc., etc) deduct from the truck's available payload. I was a victim of that none-too-minor distinction due to my ignorance and now I'm a member of this forum's TwoTimeTV Club. (My previous F-250 wasn't rated for what I wanted to do. See my profile picture to see my former and current truck.)
    Actually, I am pretty detailed and I found the specs for my truck. 2500HD LTZ double cab, gas, 2WD. Only thing that wasn’t listed is that I got it with the factory installed hitch puck system. I can’t imagine that’s 400 lbs. Still wondering if I have to allow for gas in the sticker amount? That could account for 200 lbs.

Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    BW Companion

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Some have said the sticker already accounts for gas/fuel. The best way is to weigh the truck then you will know.

Brian
    Yes, I did weigh it. But the numbers don’t work. Truck weighs 6330 with full tank of gas. GVWR is 9500. So shouldn’t I have 3170 left for payload? Sticker says 2915

Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    BW Companion

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I did weigh it. But the numbers don’t work. Truck weighs 6330 with full tank of gas. GVWR is 9500. So shouldn’t I have 3170 left for payload? Sticker says 2915

Interesting, maybe the sticker accounts for driver weight. Not sure, I would go by the sticker to be on the safe side.

Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast