Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Three things I would point out

1) The oil life monitoring system has no idea what oil (dino or full synthetic, 0W40 or 10W30 or ??). It strictly uses open loop parameters (run time, temp, load, etc.). There is no direct measuring of the oil "quality" (soot level, viscosity, etc.) other then temperature. My point is using dino-squeezing or full synthetic make no difference in how soon the "change oil" indication or "oil life %" come on.

2) One of the major factors in decreased oil life is low speed, on/off throttle applications. Like around town driving. Ford counts anything under 30(?) MPH as idle time. Another is not getting the oil fully up to temperature.

3) When pulling my trailer in the Rocky mountains I see engine oil temps over 240F (243F was the max I have seen) for significant time, not just a quick spike. For this reason alone, I only use full synthetic when towing. This is My personal choice.

Chris
    Chris,
    Your correct the oil life system does not do oil analysis. But the analysis on every perceivable condition has been performed and used to determine when to change the oil. Using synthetic is fine but not using the factory recommended oil viscosity is a dangerous game. Todays engines have much tighter tolerances where using a higher viscosity oil can result in oil starvation.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Chris,
    Your correct the oil life system does not do oil analysis. But the analysis on every perceivable condition has been performed and used to determine when to change the oil. Using synthetic is fine but not using the factory recommended oil viscosity is a dangerous game. Todays engines have much tighter tolerances where using a higher viscosity oil can result in oil starvation.
    Jim
    Jim,

My point was the "oil life" algorithm has NO input for the type of oil used, and therefor can not adjust for different types of oil. I have no idea the algorithm that is used, but it takes many variables into account, but it dose not know the difference in dino and full synthetic oil. I have talked to many people that think their "oil life percentage" or "change oil" indicator will automatically adjust for synthetic oil and give an appropriately long time/miles between oil changes if warranted, and that is incorrect.

I agree. You should always stay with the manufactures recommended grade(s) and weight(s) of oil. In my truck, Ford has multiple recommendations on type (dino, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic) AND weights depending on outside temp and usage. Trailer towing is in the "Severe duty driving" category.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rapid1,
    Folks can do this if they wish but its hard to determine when to do the analysis based on an almost infinite number of factors. When these systems are developed, a design of experiment is engineered, then many thousands of oil analysis is performed and data used to build the model. So based on various drive cycles, and inputs, this has already been done for the customer. For example, a customer may tow X thousand miles of highway which is best case. Then once the customer is home a daily winter drive cycle of 3 miles back and forth to work is done for another X thousand miles where condensation is not being evaporated off. This is taken into account on todays oil life monitors.
    Jim
    Agreed. The algorithms are very accurate using the operating conditions of the vehicle. I always use the oil life monitors in my vehicles, as equipped, and by having inexpensive analysis done myself, found that even using the monitor, the oil has been capable of running even longer. My main reason for analysis is that it shows other parameters, and can indicate developing conditions, other than oil life, such as contamination...coolant, fuel, levels of wear metals and other factors, that if caught in time, can save a lot of headache and expense. I don't do it every time the oil is changed in my daily driven vehicles, but probably will on my Duramax since I only use it to tow and will probably only change the oil/filters once a year or so, or maybe not. I haven't had an analysis done on it yet as it was just serviced when I got it. I've had it a year now and oil life is at 78% after just over 3K miles. 99% of the time that it even gets started, it is run, under towing load for at least 50 miles and usually more, as you said, best case. Those that daily drive their tow vehicles should not have any concern over using the oil life monitors for servicing but oil analysis every few oil changes is a good idea and can provide a lot of good information, in my opinion.

Also, not to try to recommend oil type, but I have always used Mobil 1 syn in the appropriate viscosity in my previous vehicles, all gas, but will stick with Rotella T4, regular dino oil, which the previous owner used, going by the dash monitor, since new. And, to address the question of the original poster, I do not feel that additional filtration is needed if following the correct maintenance schedule and OEM or equivalent quality filters. The addition of devices to the oiling system create unnecessary complication and potential failure points. Not really worth it, again, in my opinion. YMMV
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

My point was the "oil life" algorithm has NO input for the type of oil used, and therefor can not adjust for different types of oil. I have no idea the algorithm that is used, but it takes many variables into account, but it dose not know the difference in dino and full synthetic oil. I have talked to many people that think their "oil life percentage" or "change oil" indicator will automatically adjust for synthetic oil and give an appropriately long time/miles between oil changes if warranted, and that is incorrect.

I agree. You should always stay with the manufactures recommended grade(s) and weight(s) of oil. In my truck, Ford has multiple recommendations on type (dino, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic) AND weights depending on outside temp and usage. Trailer towing is in the "Severe duty driving" category.

Chris
    Chris,

The model will take this into account since manufactures will not increase the service life in using a synthetic oil versus a non-synthetic oil. A synthetic oil will not prevent contamination from carbon and condensation from forming so the change interval is the same. I'm more familiar with the GM model which takes all conditions and drive scenario's into account.

Folks can do whatever they wish where I'm letting you know todays oil life monitors do far more than keeping track of a set mileage between oil change intervals. If your driving in a desert condition or at -40 in Alaska (would require a different viscosity in this case) the model takes all this into account. I have no issue with relying on my oil life monitor under all conditions.

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/technol...itor-tells-you

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-14-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bypass secondary oil filter does a better job on gasoline engines, and it allows you to go very long miles between oil changes. Just change the filters, top off the oil and keep on driving. I would from time to time get an oil analysis, however.

But a diesel engine is a different animal in that its oil gets fuel dialated into the oil. You can actually was your hands in old diesel oil. I change my diesel oil every 5,000 miles and it does great. No reason to do any different.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    A bypass secondary oil filter does a better job on gasoline engines, and it allows you to go very long miles between oil changes. Just change the filters, top off the oil and keep on driving. I would from time to time get an oil analysis, however.

But a diesel engine is a different animal in that its oil gets fuel dialated into the oil. You can actually was your hands in old diesel oil. I change my diesel oil every 5,000 miles and it does great. No reason to do any different.
    Fuel dilution of the oil is just as big (or bigger) a problem for gasoline engines. This is not something that any particulate filter can remedy. I would also recommend using OEM spec oil and following the oil life monitor. A huge amount of research has gone into figuring this out.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmag00 View Post
    Not to argue but any good bypass filter should filter down to 2-3 microns standard filter is 10 microns, you will be amazed when you change the oil that it’s not dark black because the bypass filter has removed the soot thats hard on the motor. My only issue is the warranty and the fact that you tap into the oiling system of the motor and if you have motor issues thats the first thing that I would think they would look at. JMO
    The guy next to us in the park here in New Mexico until last week had a bypass oil filter on his truck. Said that the dealers and many other oil change places won't touch the truck because the oil system has been modified. He has to call around to find an independent shop that will change the oil and filters or do it himself.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Bamanam,
    Many of todays engines use a variable displacement oil pump. What this means is at lighter loads and RPM, the oil pump does not pump as much volume and at lower pressures. This system was designed for increased fuel economy. When you use a by pass oil filter, you are taking away a certain percentage that you can no longer spare with this type of system. And since all engines that burn fossil fuel (not near as much for CNG, LP or zero with H) will dilute with some level of fuel, water, carbon, chemicals etc.. Its best to use the monitor and to change the oil.
    Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-15-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three things I would point out

1) The oil life monitoring system has no idea what oil (dino or full synthetic, 0W40 or 10W30 or ??). It strictly uses open loop parameters (run time, temp, load, etc.). There is no direct measuring of the oil "quality" (soot level, viscosity, etc.) other then temperature. My point is using dino-squeezing or full synthetic make no difference in how soon the "change oil" indication or "oil life %" come on.

2) One of the major factors in decreased oil life is low speed, on/off throttle applications. Like around town driving. Ford counts anything under 30(?) MPH as idle time. Another is not getting the oil fully up to temperature.

3) When pulling my trailer in the Rocky mountains I see engine oil temps over 240F (243F was the max I have seen) for significant time, not just a quick spike. For this reason alone, I only use full synthetic when towing. This is My personal choice.

Chris
    Thanks Chris. I was doing general-use car-like driving on that non-synthetic oil, but I live in the country so not a *lot* of stop-and-go city traffic; mostly 50mph-65mph. It's what the truck does most - of the ~50K miles it has traveled well under 15K have been towing - and I haven't again experienced noticeably short oil life. Just that one time after using good-quality non-synthetic oil.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Thanks Chris. I was doing general-use car-like driving on that non-synthetic oil, but I live in the country so not a *lot* of stop-and-go city traffic; mostly 50mph-65mph. It's what the truck does most - of the ~50K miles it has traveled well under 15K have been towing - and I haven't again experienced noticeably short oil life. Just that one time after using good-quality non-synthetic oil.
    Boyscout,

Here is a brief description in how your Fords oil life monitor calculates change intervals.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...rent-minderler

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...e-monitor.html

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-15-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123