King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    Searching on this forum didn't turn up the answer so I will ask here:

Is the Goodyear Endurance offered in 16 inch G rated size that will fit the Momentum? I ask specifically about the Endurance because to my knowledge it is the only American Made ST tire.

What are others running on their Momentum's once the Westlakes wear out?
    The Goodyear Endurance does NOT come in a G rated tire. However, the Goodyear G614 comes in LT235/75R16 which is a load range G tire. It is rather unique in that it has a truck tire construction and designation, but was designed specifically for towable products. It is also made in the USA. Many owners of larger fifth wheels have run on this tire with outstanding results. Its load index is 126, meaning it's rated for 3,748 pounds. It is speed rated "L", which is 75mph.

Jim

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Westlake G rated tires on our 2018 Solitude 310 GK and have been to from California to Minnesota twice as well as many 500-1,000 mile trips. We've had no issues with the Westlake tires. The Goodyear endurance does not come in a G rated as far as I can see. I've been told that Goodyear does make a G rated trailer tire for heavier 5th wheels, but can't seem to find it. Any help out there would be appreciated.
    310 GK Solitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jim. Appreciate the help.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    … What are others running on their Momentum's once the Westlakes wear out?
    Sailun 637 G
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo 1954 View Post
    We have Westlake G rated tires on our 2018 Solitude 310 GK and have been to from California to Minnesota twice as well as many 500-1,000 mile trips. We've had no issues with the Westlake tires. The Goodyear endurance does not come in a G rated as far as I can see. I've been told that Goodyear does make a G rated trailer tire for heavier 5th wheels, but can't seem to find it. Any help out there would be appreciated.
    310 GK Solitude
    Thanks, I put over 10,000 miles on my Westlakes when I had my Reflection TT, and replaced with the Endurance. I don't plan to replace my existing Westlakes until needed, I was just curious what everyone was using.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else find it interesting that on the Lions Head web site, they don't even list the 235/80R16 G-rated tires that are being put on the new Momentums in their spec sheet? I purchased a 2020 349m which came with these tires and while trying to verify specifications, I noticed it wasn't even listed:

https://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/Westlake-Radial-Tire
    Shows the ST235/85R16 G but nothing for ST235/80R16 G

I installed Goodyear G614s on my last trailer and loved them but they are over $300 each right now. With the Sailun S637T ST235/85R16 G (5540993) available from Amazon right now for $115 each plus tax and a 4400lb load rating, it's a steal.

When you search for that Westlake size (80 and G) and follow the links, you generally end up with an E-rated tire, or an 85 size. Perhaps they are just slow getting them into the pipeline?

2020 Grand Design Momentum 349M, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Goodyear G114 17.5" Tires, 1280W Solar w/600AH Battle Born Batteries
    2019 Ford F350 Platinum
    2014 Polaris UTV
    USAF Retired

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I believe so IMHO. Also realized the springs and axles are undersized on the 2600RB and 2800BH.
    Why do you think that? Please don't missunderstand, I'm not doubting you, I'd like to learn. I don't own either trailer, but I'd like to be able to verify that my Transcend 26 RLS is okay. It too has E rated westlake tires on it and they scare me to death!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my Westlake 10 plys developed a split in the sidewall within the first week of ownership. I promptly replaced all 4 tires with Sailun 637 ST's. I have now towed over 12k miles with zero issues. These tires do ride rougher due to their 14 ply construction. With a 4400 lb load rating, they're way overkill for my 12k GVW trailer, but then again so is my truck. I like having a large safety margin.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I would not put the blame solely on Westlake , GD or Lippert designs these rigs and I think used the wrong size and weight tire for the task at hand. Not defending Westlake but just 2 cents worth.

Brian
    I can somewhat agree but the unless one was overloaded the e-rated tires should have had enough capacity. G's are overkill (not that that is a bad thing) But the e's should have held up. I believe they are rated at 3520 per tire which is higher than the axle rating by a smidge. Close to the limit but still under. Even with only 20% on the pin your only at 6600 per axle at max GVWR

I just replaced my G westlakes with the G Sailuns. Same size tires but the Sailuns have a higher load index. I run them at 95psi cold which is still good for almost 4000lbs (almost the same as the westlakes at 110psi).

My Dad's Pinnacle has 255/85 e rated endurance tires which carry a 4080lbs rating at 80 psi. The larger tire allows for more air volume at 80 psi which is ultimately determines maximum weight ratings. The more air a tire can hold the higher allowed weight rating.

I do like have the thicker/heavier side wall though for the abuse trailer tires take on curbs and sharp turns.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a 297rsts travel trailer. I am still unaware of all the issues with the Westlake Tires. My dealership denies they have had any issues, but they have only been in business representing Grand Design one year. Should I be concerned? Should I worry about what grade the tire is for the travel trailer? There seems to be some issue with putting the wrong grade tires on certain rvs? I am very concerned, but the dealer says that we are paranoid and to stop reading all the posts on the internet. They think people are purposely trying to scare others. I told them these people own Grand Design products and are happy with them but do have issues that get posted. I am very concerned with the dealers attitude, but it is the only one within 2 hours of us. Any comments?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast