Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steps

Good Morning and Good Day to all.
    We are in the contemplating stages of a change in fifth wheel and one of the concerns I have is the new fold out one piece step vs the old style fold down and out. sorry for the description, but I am sure you got it. Concerns: what about parking areas, what about when you are parked on a sloped area and you can't shorten or lengthen the legs enough, open the door just to put something in with the steps in the way. I guess it is just my OCD or creature of habit kicking in. Any thoughts, concerns, issues, etc. Thanks for your thoughts and input. Make it a GREAT DAY ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff & Karen

There are a lot of discussions on this , with thoughts on what you are asking. Do a little search if you would.
    I personally do not like them for all the reasons of your concerns.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a pair of the flip out step for my previous unit that had the cheapest flip down bi-fold steps made. So it was a huge improvement.
    Heres my 2 cents.
    Pros:
    VERY sturdy when adjusted.
    Feel of normal steps
    Nice wide step
    Hand rail where you need it not up on the camper

Cons:
    In the door way, so you have to deal with it if just putting something in. But then again you would have to pull out steps if you wanted to get in.
    Dirt on inside of camper if not cleaned.
    If park close to something that doesn't allow swinging steps out.
    Uneven ground setup.

Having said all that. We loved them on my old unit. DW has back issues and I didn't worry about the spring of the cheap flip down steps.
    Im still on the fence with my unit.
    All in all they are very sturdy and a solid step to walk up.

Bob

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Bob & Sherrie
    17 F150 Ecobeast
    19 Reflection 285BHTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can order without the swing down steps. We asked GD when we started thinking abour upgrading. ( If they come out with an S class floorplan we want in the right length). I believe now they will install the old style step but you'll likely pay for both steps types. We flat out would not upgrade if the swing down steps were installed. That would mean filling holes in a new trailer when we take the swing down out for our Torque Lift steps.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like 'em. We keep a little broom & rag in the shoe hole at the bottom of the inside steps to clean them off. I can see if you use a storage lot with close quarters you might not be able to lower them ( I keep my trailer at home), or are in a busy rest area. They are heavier than fold up steps, but I'm not that old yet to lift 'em. Not sure but they may come with the lift assist feature on trailers now.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had my 310GK, with one piece swing out step, for 6 months. Wasn’t sure I’d like them either.
    So far, so good. They are solid. No movement at all when on them. Solid.
    I keep a small brush to sweep them before closing. Also a towel to wipe them down, if wet. So far, no big deal. When the trailer is closed for storage, I don’t find it to be any more effort than the pull out steps to get access. I have not run into a situation where I didn’t have the room to open them. Mine have the piston assist, so no effort in closing. you do need to have the door/screen door fully open when swinging in/out to prevent interference.
    So far, I give the pros vs cons a wash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    We are in the contemplating stages of a change in fifth wheel and one of the concerns I have is the new fold out one piece step vs the old style fold down and out. sorry for the description, but I am sure you got it. Concerns: what about parking areas, what about when you are parked on a sloped area and you can't shorten or lengthen the legs enough, open the door just to put something in with the steps in the way. I guess it is just my OCD or creature of habit kicking in. Any thoughts, concerns, issues, etc. Thanks for your thoughts and input. Make it a GREAT DAY ! ! !
    Jeff,check out the Torklift "Glowstep Revolution" steps they are the best of both worlds. They are a grounded step that is adjustable at the ground and adjustable at the top as to how far out you pull them out. We love them. Check their website out. Here is a pic of mine in use on a very high slopped spot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torklift steps.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	19596
    Tim Rutledge
    Phoenix, AZ
    2107 Reflection 318rst
    2106 Chevy 2500HD Z72 4x4 Duramax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrut5 View Post
    Jeff,check out the Torklift "Glowstep Revolution" steps they are the best of both worlds. They are a grounded step that is adjustable at the ground and adjustable at the top as to how far out you pull them out. We love them. Check their website out. Here is a pic of mine in use on a very high slopped spot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torklift steps.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	19596
    Couldn't agree more! Just installed the Torklift Glowstep on my 337 and they are a huge improvement compared to the OEM steps.
    Rick & Betsy
    2020 Ram 3500 Diesel
    2018 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    I'm in the Torklift camp, too. Agree with all of your concerns.

As previously suggested enter "steps" in the search box (white rectangular near the top right) then click on the small magnifying glass icon. Grab a cup of coffee 'cause you'll be reading for a few minutes.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added my second set of TorkLift, love them. Search "what have you done to your RV this week" in the search box for a discussion (and Pics) I just posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast