User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjaike View Post
    Steve,

Have you turn all the breakers off at the RV circuit panel and looked at the EMS to see if it is reading any AMPs? Then turn one on at a time and see which one pulls a large load? I could be a faulty reading in the EMS. At 62 AMPs on a 30 AMP cord is going to get hot quick and should have tripped the breaker on the post.
    Right on. That 30 amp to 50 amp Dog Bone adaptor cable will get REAL HOT quickly with 62 amps. And no way would a functioning 30 amp single pole breaker not trip with that current

Does it get hot?

A qualified electrician would be able to figure it out in 3 minutes.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Rob, The power does go on and off when the breaker is flipped, so the power is going through that.

I don’t know if this means anything, but when I first plugged in when we got here, the EMS gave me an error code for “Reverse Polarity”. The plug was changed and the code went away. I had to leave for a few days and returned to a prior code message of “low voltage”, indicating that the EMS had shut everything down at least once. This has occurred before at different parks on occasion. We haven’t had any electrical problems during use and our electricity has not been interrupted.
    The thing I wonder here is...what is the voltage shown when you are getting the high amperage readings? You said that the EMS did shut down with a "low voltage" message so it must be dipping down to 107-109v range at times. When the voltage is low, your amperage (current) will increase given the load. I have seen this on my EMS as it scrolls thru the volts/amps on each leg. Pay close attention to the voltages shown and that might help explain at least some of the current level increases you are seeing. Voltage at the pole would be easy to check and compare to your EMS. Some here have needed to calibrate theirs.

Still doesn't explain the breaker not opening at the current levels you are seeing. But the main reason that the EMS shuts off at very low voltages is because of the current increase that could possibly damage components. I know it doesn't solve your issue but is another thing to consider I believe.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following, couple of videos showing insides of circuit breakers operating.
    DC Auto Resetting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA1cz021OvU
    AC Circuit Breaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFnooeA6Iw
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    The thing I wonder here is...what is the voltage shown when you are getting the high amperage readings? You said that the EMS did shut down with a "low voltage" message so it must be dipping down to 107-109v range at times. When the voltage is low, your amperage (current) will increase given the load. I have seen this on my EMS as it scrolls thru the volts/amps on each leg. Pay close attention to the voltages shown and that might help explain at least some of the current level increases you are seeing. Voltage at the pole would be easy to check and compare to your EMS. Some here have needed to calibrate theirs.

Still doesn't explain the breaker not opening at the current levels you are seeing. But the main reason that the EMS shuts off at very low voltages is because of the current increase that could possibly damage components. I know it doesn't solve your issue but is another thing to consider I believe.
    The average range here has been consistently 121-123. When we were running the test with the heavy load totaling around 43 amps one time, I noted the volts were reading 112.

I was away when the low voltage error occurred, so I asked the park personnel about loss of power. They said they did loose power for a few seconds one time while we were away.

I believe we are gonna test the amps from behind the plug tomorrow to see if it’s agreeing with the EMS. I’m sure it will. Then I’m gonna request a second breaker replacement and see where that goes. If that doesn’t solve it, then I will likely bring it to the attention of the manager who we get along with well. We are far away from a main town, and it’s costly to get an electrician up here. But I know of at least one other issue with another site, so he could at least have a couple things to do to help with the service call.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just used a clamp meter on the hot behind the 30 amp plug to see what is truly going through there. Keep in mind we already replaced the 30 amp circuit breaker with a new one on the first day we noticed a possible issue.

We increased the load by turning on various high demand appliances, and found that my EMS was reading similar to the clamp meter, just 2-5 amps higher, the greater being as we increased the load. We were able to get the clamp meter reading 48 amps, and the EMS reading 53 amps total on the two legs. Obviously this was higher than the 30 amp circuit breaker should have allowed.

I’ve asked for another CB to be installed. I don’t expect that to correct the problem. The manager said she is scheduling an electrician to come from Redding area (about an hour away) to check out my situation, and at least one more in my row. In the mean time, I’ll make sure to keep under 30 amps. I’ll keep everyone posted, especially if we find what the cause is.

Thanks!
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not imagine 2 faulty breakers in a row , unless they are old and been laying around for a while.
    Do you happen to have one of those plug in thingies that tells you if you wired a plug right? If so and there is a 110 plug wired into the post with your 30 amp plug I would be curious if the plug is wired correctly. There seems to be something hinky going on here.

Brian

PS> sorry for my wording , I do not know the words that western folks use for thingamajigs and such.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    We just used a clamp meter on the hot behind the 30 amp plug to see what is truly going through there. Keep in mind we already replaced the 30 amp circuit breaker with a new one on the first day we noticed a possible issue.

We increased the load by turning on various high demand appliances, and found that my EMS was reading similar to the clamp meter, just 2-5 amps higher, the greater being as we increased the load. We were able to get the clamp meter reading 48 amps, and the EMS reading 53 amps total on the two legs. Obviously this was higher than the 30 amp circuit breaker should have allowed.

I’ve asked for another CB to be installed. I don’t expect that to correct the problem. The manager said she is scheduling an electrician to come from Redding area (about an hour away) to check out my situation, and at least one more in my row. In the mean time, I’ll make sure to keep under 30 amps. I’ll keep everyone posted, especially if we find what the cause is.

Thanks!
    Almost reads like the breaker is bypassed in the pedestal. This is a very interesting thread--thanks for all the updates.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

This is a really curious situation! Circuit breakers respond to watts (volts x amps) This is why a "brown out" (reduced voltage) doesn't pop circuit breakers at higher than rated current. It doesn't make sense that you can pass 50 amps through a 30 amp breaker unless the voltage is way down.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I can not imagine 2 faulty breakers in a row , unless they are old and been laying around for a while.
    Do you happen to have one of those plug in thingies that tells you if you wired a plug right? If so and there is a 110 plug wired into the post with your 30 amp plug I would be curious if the plug is wired correctly. There seems to be something hinky going on here.

Brian

PS> sorry for my wording , I do not know the words that western folks use for thingamajigs and such.

Hi Brian,

To answer your question, there is a 110v plug in the box as well. I am currently using that for a small freezer. Also, the breaker probably was in stock for a long time. I think it was there last one or two.

Thingamajigs works for me!
    Last edited by Steve7; 05-24-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Almost reads like the breaker is bypassed in the pedestal. This is a very interesting thread--thanks for all the updates.

Hi Howard,

You would think that the breaker is bypassed, but it does turn on and off our electrical.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast