User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a "Fold-a-cover", which is kind of like the bakflip, except that one can also open just the front part, in addition to folding the back part over the front part. Works nicely.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    I'm researched many different covers last year for my 2018 SuperDuty. I was leaning towards the ReTrax but with Minnesota winters the canisters are not necessarily the best choice. I had an Access cover on my 2015 and was fairly happy with it but the vinyl only has a shelf life of about 5-7 years. I looked at the BAK products but the BAKflip blocked the back window. I finally came across a 20 year old company who has been OEMing covers for the automotive industry.

After a year of use, I could not be happier with my choice. 450 lbs. of weight, hard cover that locks and opens at both ends. This opens up to allow the use of the 5th wheel hitch and doesn't block the rear window.

https://www.foldacover.com
    They were priced between the soft tonneau and the hard covers. It was easy to install myself in about 2 hours.
    Thanks for the link. I've watched the video and I like the cover but it looks like it would have to be folded near the front of the pick up bed in order to use the 5th wheel hitch. Do you know what the stacked height is at that point? Wondering if the stack would be in the way when backing into tight places in uneven terrain.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL, 2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax 6.6 LTZ

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fold-a-cover

Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    Thanks for the link. I've watched the video and I like the cover but it looks like it would have to be folded near the front of the pick up bed in order to use the 5th wheel hitch. Do you know what the stacked height is at that point? Wondering if the stack would be in the way when backing into tight places in uneven terrain.
    It's only a couple of inches. At least with my rig, it doesn't come close to hitting.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind measuring, what's the height of the stacked cover when it's folded? We're concerned about height being an issue when making tight turns backing up with the 5th wheel, especially in uneven terrains. Currently we barely have 6" between the pickup bed and the fifth wheel when riding level. When we hit dips we've seen the front dip pretty low close to the pickup bed. The Bakflip would probably be our first choice if we don't have to fold it against the window while pulling the 5th wheel.
    I just installed my MX4 Bak Flip. Fully folded flat, the top is 5 inches above the bed rails.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way late to this conversation but we use a TruXport Truxedo.com soft roll up as well. Covers the 5th wheel hitch fine and also covers inbed truck tool box. Easy roll up to cab when towing and has straps to hold it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1830.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    I just installed my MX4 Bak Flip. Fully folded flat, the top is 5 inches above the bed rails.
    When flat I'm sure ours would be fine but I'm wondering what the thickness is when folded without blocking the back window. That would come into play when we're towing with the 5th wheel.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr__Bob View Post
    It's only a couple of inches. At least with my rig, it doesn't come close to hitting.
    We only have 5-6 inches between the 5th wheel and the pickup bed. We're concerned about the folded cover being an obstruction while towing, especially as the 5th wheel dips while backing up.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When flat I'm sure ours would be fine but I'm wondering what the thickness is when folded without blocking the back window. That would come into play when we're towing with the 5th wheel.
    That is the 5 inch measurement, folded flat without blocking the back window.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Suggestions for bed cover

If you only have 5-6” of space you need to raise your hitch or you’re going to smack your bed rails when you go on a hill.
    I have my hitch adjusted so I have about 9” of clearance.
    The nose of my Reflection doesn’t even come close to hitting the folded Bakflip.
    I have to turn like 50 degrees before the nose even arcs above the Bakflip. In these photos I am turned almost 90 degrees and testing my slider hitch, but I have never had to turn this sharp to get into a camp spot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	20574

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	20575

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 06-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    If you only have 5-6” of space you need to raise your hitch or you’re going to smack your bed rails when you go on a hill.
    I have my hitch adjusted so I have about 9” of clearance.
    The nose of my Reflection doesn’t even come close to hitting the folded Bakflip.
    I have to turn like 50 degrees before the nose even arcs above the Bakflip. In these photos I am turned almost 90 degrees and testing my slider hitch, but I have never had to turn this sharp to get into a camp spot.

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	20574

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	20575

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish we had 9" then we wouldn't be worried about it. The Carriage 5th wheel we had before was lifted so we had 10" between the rails and the 5th wheel but our Reflection barely gives us 5". My DH said he can adjust it 1" more but that's all the adjustment we have left.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast