Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Marco....I forgot to ask....it this a heat pump type unit or just a straight A/C unit. Heat pump units do in fact have outdoor sensors on them and are usually combined with a freeze sensor. The freeze sensor by itself will lock out the compressor.
    AC only with heat and fan speed control on the ceiling cover.
    "Every Day Is A Good Day"

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2017 Nissan NV3500 Van 5.6L V8 and decked out to tow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, stupid question maybe. Auto AC systems are used year round to remove moisture in the car and replace it with dry air. That is why you need to keep the AC on when the teenagers get "hot and heavy" in the back seat. Seriously, though, we all know humidity is a big problem especially at lower temps inside campers. Wont the same principle apply? If so why would there be a low temp cutoff with outside air?

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    OK, stupid question maybe. Auto AC systems are used year round to remove moisture in the car and replace it with dry air. That is why you need to keep the AC on when the teenagers get "hot and heavy" in the back seat. Seriously, though, we all know humidity is a big problem especially at lower temps inside campers. Wont the same principle apply? If so why would there be a low temp cutoff with outside air?

Jim
    That's a very good point. With my old trailer I used to use the AC to dry up the excess moisture. I just hope this AC unit isn't pooched - it's a brand new unit. Uhg

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible for you to link to the electrical drawing that you found, or...are you looking at the one that is on the unit....if there is one? My guess is that it is somehow tied back into the control board electronics, but it's probably worth a shot to look at it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post

Jim
    Actually most cars use ambient temp sensors nowadays as well. Usually inhibit compressor function around 40* F and below.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Is it possible for you to link to the electrical drawing that you found, or...are you looking at the one that is on the unit....if there is one? My guess is that it is somehow tied back into the control board electronics, but it's probably worth a shot to look at it.
    Because you suggested to find the wiring schematic I was able to show it to my HVAC friend. He will take a look next time he is over. I'm not sure I would know what to look for once the AC cover was removed.

I decided to contact Dometic and asked them about the ambient sensor. They asked me for my model and serial number. They did confirm it has an ambient sensor and they told me it is set to not work below 65 F.

In my original post I said 70 F and that was a guess at the time I tested my AC. I do know that the night temps went into the low 40's so maybe the ambient air was below 65F. I will need to run the unit when the temps get warm outside to confirm. I'm hoping it was just too cold.

I sure did learn a bit about these AC units and I really appreciate all the help and responses. Thank you all.

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Marco. Hopefully your A/C buddy can help you out on this. I'm sure some engineering team decided that the 65 degree setpoint for compressor cutoff was the thing to do in order to provide the "optimal" operating conditions for general use, but I'm not 100% sold on that number. Good luck
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macroman View Post
    Because you suggested to find the wiring schematic I was able to show it to my HVAC friend. He will take a look next time he is over. I'm not sure I would know what to look for once the AC cover was removed.

I decided to contact Dometic and asked them about the ambient sensor. They asked me for my model and serial number. They did confirm it has an ambient sensor and they told me it is set to not work below 65 F.

In my original post I said 70 F and that was a guess at the time I tested my AC. I do know that the night temps went into the low 40's so maybe the ambient air was below 65F. I will need to run the unit when the temps get warm outside to confirm. I'm hoping it was just too cold.

I sure did learn a bit about these AC units and I really appreciate all the help and responses. Thank you all.
    It is going to be well above 65 today and Sunday in southern Ontario. Not sure where you store your trailer but I would try it this weekend. If it is OK and just ambient temperature it should work this weekend. Sunny and warm both days.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Calbar. I have an extended camping trip coming up next weekend and will have my trailer home to pack on Wednesday. I should have days warm enough then to see if the AC works. I hope so. I'll post back in about a week to let you know how things are working. Thanks again.

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12