User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Hey MO! What part of the show me state are you from?

I have LT tires on my F150, set up like yours with FX-4 and max tow. I'm towing a Rockwood Minilite 2509, but the 2400BH was a close second in choice. Weights and size are almost identical. Without any other changes to the truck, it tows great. My suggestion, try towing that 2400BH as is before you start upgrading. The tires coincided with needing them on my old truck. I traded my 13 for an 18 and the tires had all of about 1000 miles on them so I had the dealer swap the crappy OEM goodyears for my LTs.

As far as MPG when towing: HAHAHAHAHA. I get 9mpg. The 22 I get when driving the 90% of the time I'm not towing more than makes up for it, so does the power to merge onto the highway and pass people as needed without worry. Ford should call them ECOorBOOST.
    I'm in Jefferson City. The camper I have now is about 6k and it's a good camper for us right now. There are several things that I would like to have, but the camper is paid for so I'm willing to hold steady for now. Ideally I would like to sell in September and buy the replacement in January or February. I can get 11 mpg if I'm babying it but most of the time I'm at 10 or 9. This is the first big trip with the 2016 truck and trailer. We are headed to Custer State Park and then to Rocky Mtn. National Park. I never get 22 so I'm a little jealous.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the initial cost, the Max Tow/RV package is seldom found on any dealer lots for stock trucks. The gear ratio speaks to whether it has Max Tow.

I would suggest having a really good alignment shop inspect your truck's suspension and get it aligned. I have AirRide 5000 bags (using Schraeder valves), LT/E tires and new heavy duty shock absorbers.

And my truck has Hawk LTS brake pads all around--superior brake parts. There are many of other first class brake pads on the market. Mine come from RockAuto.com.

If you want more power, it's so easy to put another 85 hp on the 3.5 Ecoboost with a Five Star ECU tune. Just takes a few minutes.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Due to the initial cost, the Max Tow/RV package is seldom found on any dealer lots for stock trucks. The gear ratio speaks to whether it has Max Tow.

I would suggest having a really good alignment shop inspect your truck's suspension and get it aligned. I have AirRide 5000 bags (using Schraeder valves), LT/E tires and new heavy duty shock absorbers.

And my truck has Hawk LTS brake pads all around--superior brake parts. There are many of other first class brake pads on the market. Mine come from RockAuto.com.

If you want more power, it's so easy to put another 85 hp on the 3.5 Ecoboost with a Five Star ECU tune. Just takes a few minutes.
    I know my vehicle does not have the max tow package. It has the tow package, but not max. As I need to replace parts like tires and brakes I will upgrade as I go. As I mentioned for now it is a capable set up for what I have. I love the suggestions, keep them coming

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sold my 2017 F-150 with max tow package and purchased a new f-250 gasser. I just purchased a 2970rl. My trailer is heavier than yours and 33' long. My one concern was the class 4 hitch is only rated at 1200 lbs with weight distribution hitch. I would have been close there and probably a little over on weight. My other concern was payload. I have 1,850 lbs of payload. It's amazing how fast that number is exceeded when you have 1200 lbs of tongue weight. I hated the idea of selling my f-150 as it could pull 11,700 lbs. We wanted a bigger trailer because we will be snow birds for 3-4 months. I just wasn't comfortable being over on any of the weight capacities of the tow vehicle. The last thing I want or need is a law suit because I was involved in an accident and over weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to mess with airbags to help your suspension then check out the Timbren SES System. https://timbren.com/timbren-ses/ I put them on my F-150 pulling a 2670MK and they really do help stiffen the rearend without causing a harsh rid when not towing. Very easy install as well. I also agree to upgrading to an LT tire. I got the Michelin Defender LTX and it was a great upgrade. Running 40PSI when not towing will make the tires ride very close to the original "P" rated tires. They really do help make the truck more stable when towing. When we had a smaller Jayco Whitehawk the stock tires were not an issue. The minute we started towing the larger TT it was obvious I was getting a lot of movement out of the truck due to the softer sidewalls.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOShorthair View Post
    We are getting ready to head out west with our current set up so I'm curious on how my truck will do fuel wise with mpg. I hope to be upgrading to a bigger nicer tt next year. Looking at the Roadmaster active suspension system once I do decide to make the leap. Thank you for all the suggestions

Eric
    Hi Eric, I installed the Roadmaster Active suspension system on an F150 I use to own and was very pleased with the results, it smoothed out the ride with and without the trailer attached & I liked it so much I installed on the F250 as well just to take some of the harshness out of the ride when there was no trailer attached. As stated by others, upgrading to LT tires made the biggest difference overall. Good Luck! Coop
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Yes, I suggest E rated tires, maybe air bags or some other suspension assist. I had the airbags on my F150 3.5, and it kept the truck level and stable. I also suggest a good quality hitch. You will be good to go with the size trailer you are getting.
    IMHO, airbags should not be used on a 1/2 ton truck. If the rear suspension sags with a properly set up WDH, then a bigger truck is needed.

I pulled a 28 1/2 foot bumper pull trailer for 8 years with a F150 without the max tow and max payload packages, and the truck rode nice and level.

A LT tire is a good upgrade, but don’t go too overboard or the ride will suffer.
    Last edited by MtnGuy; 06-23-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOShorthair View Post
    I'm in Jefferson City. The camper I have now is about 6k and it's a good camper for us right now. There are several things that I would like to have, but the camper is paid for so I'm willing to hold steady for now. Ideally I would like to sell in September and buy the replacement in January or February. I can get 11 mpg if I'm babying it but most of the time I'm at 10 or 9. This is the first big trip with the 2016 truck and trailer. We are headed to Custer State Park and then to Rocky Mtn. National Park. I never get 22 so I'm a little jealous.
    I hope you guys were safe through the tornado a few weeks ago. That damage is amazing. We have property on the southwest side of Lake of the Ozarks so I'm though there fairly often.

As far as the MPG when not towing, I think the 10speed transmission plays a big role in that. The final drive gear is higher than the 6 speed your 16 has. The 13 I had before got around 17 on average. It would probably be a little lower if I wasn't in the St. Louis area and was doing 75-80 all the time rather than 65-70.

It might not be a bad idea to put some better shocks on too, it won't help with your squat, but will improve the ride/handling when towing. The stock shocks aren't very good. Bilstein 5100s are next on my list.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar truck (2016 F-150 V8, tow package, p tires) towing Imagine 2400BH. The truck is very capable of towing this TT. We towed it for 6600 miles and had no issues with sway due to traffic. I did experience TT moving in 40-50mph wind gusts in Wyoming and South Dakota. I didn't make any modification to the truck. The only thing we exchanged were the tires on the TT, threw out West Lakes and had the dealer replace them with Goodyear Endurance. Hitch is Equalizer E4 rated for 1200/12000 lbs. The tires on the TT were inflated to 65psi and 48 on the truck. We towed it across the Rockies in Colorado to Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, Wyoming (Yellowstone) and back through South Dakota, MN, and Wisconsin. MPG average was 9.8 for the entire trip. The worst MPG was towing in South Dakota and Minnesota. One time we only average around 5.5mpg because we were going against the wind. If you want to make upgrades to TT/TV I would focus on tires on both the vehicle and the trailer. I didn't make any modifications to the suspension either and no air bags. I do have FX4 package so perhaps that helped.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    I have a similar truck (2016 F-150 V8, tow package, p tires) towing Imagine 2400BH. The truck is very capable of towing this TT. We towed it for 6600 miles and had no issues with sway due to traffic. I did experience TT moving in 40-50mph wind gusts in Wyoming and South Dakota. I didn't make any modification to the truck. The only thing we exchanged were the tires on the TT, threw out West Lakes and had the dealer replace them with Goodyear Endurance. Hitch is Equalizer E4 rated for 1200/12000 lbs. The tires on the TT were inflated to 65psi and 48 on the truck. We towed it across the Rockies in Colorado to Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, Wyoming (Yellowstone) and back through South Dakota, MN, and Wisconsin. MPG average was 9.8 for the entire trip. The worst MPG was towing in South Dakota and Minnesota. One time we only average around 5.5mpg because we were going against the wind. If you want to make upgrades to TT/TV I would focus on tires on both the vehicle and the trailer. I didn't make any modifications to the suspension either and no air bags. I do have FX4 package so perhaps that helped.
    Very familiar story here with our '15. Just got done towing across Montana into a head wind, and received a nasty 6.5 mpg for a good stretch of it. Between Billings and Bozeman, in particular, was a bear. The roads are quite good, but so was the wind.

Normally we get about 8-10 with the 2400 loaded for camping.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast