User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Albuquerque to Waco routes suggestions

Sitting here staring at RV Trip Wizard trying to plan a trip from Albuquerque, NM, to Waco, TX for April of 2024

We have not yet towed in that direction and I welcome advice from experienced travelers.

I see several options using I40 and I20 for east/west. If I use I40, what hwy is best for dropping down to I20?

285 through Roswell and Carlsbad?
    27 through Lubbock?
    287 through Abilene?

Then, is it best to return the same route or loop back some other way?
    Last edited by AllenV; 01-18-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post
    Sitting here staring at RV Trip Wizard trying to plan a trip from Albuquerque, NM, to Waco, TX for April of 2024

We have not yet towed in that direction and I welcome advice from experienced travelers.

I see several options using I40 and I20 for east/west. If I use I40, what hwy is best for dropping down to I20?

27 through Lubbock?
    287 through Abilene?

We went out to Santa Rosa on I -40 then dropped down through Hobbs and over. But we had family in Hobbs.

You can also go through Roswell and over.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, as a native of the area, I would get off I-40 at Santa Rosa and take US 60/84 through Lubbock down to I-20 and then US 84 the rest of the way into Waco. The roads in the Hobbs/Artesia/Carlsbad area are really rough and torn up due to the heavy pipeline and oil field traffic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest I40 to Amarillo then 287 to I 35 south, but that takes you right through Fort Worth - not good. Second Chance has the best route.

On edit - If the weather is bad (spring storms) take i25 south to I 10 east.
    Last edited by powerscol; 01-18-2023 at 10:48 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post

27 through Lubbock?
    287 through Abilene?

We drove that route last June but with just the truck. Mostly the same as Second Chance said although we did go through Lubbock and Abeline. As I recall, mostly recent roads, no problems.

I wonder if you are planning a trip for the Solar Eclipse?.....We will be there also. In the Lampasas area.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Personally, as a native of the area, I would get off I-40 at Santa Rosa and take US 60/84 through Lubbock down to I-20 and then US 84 the rest of the way into Waco. The roads in the Hobbs/Artesia/Carlsbad area are really rough and torn up due to the heavy pipeline and oil field traffic.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    We drove that route last June but with just the truck. Mostly the same as Second Chance said although we did go through Lubbock and Abeline. As I recall, mostly recent roads, no problems.

I wonder if you are planning a trip for the Solar Eclipse?.....We will be there also. In the Lampasas area.
    I hadn't even thought about that diagonal route through Clovis, Lubbock and Abilene. But now I wonder, once at Abilene, why not stay on I20 a bit longer then turn south when NNE of Waco?

And, Yes, this is all about the April 2024 eclipse. I spent most of a day phoning RV parks in Kerrville, Ingram, and Marble Falls. I got nothing but waiting lists and requests to call back either 6 or 12 months ahead of the date. Then I found a place just west of Waco that would take my money. So now we have a certain place to stay. We'll show up a couple of nights early and explore Waco. Then enjoy the celestial event and hang out another night while the crazy traffic subsides. At the 2017 eclipse we went to Wyoming with just the truck. Afterwards I-25 ( in Wyoming!!!) was a bumper-to-bumper parking lot. We did not get back to our hotel in Ft. Collins until the wee hours of the morning.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"