User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Recommendation for 3500 SRW Duramax

Hi All, thanks for reading this. I searched but did not find the answer here. My truck has the Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT's that it came with. It's a 3500 SRW Duramax. 275/65/20
    I pull a Reflection 28 BH with pin weight no greater than 1700lbs. I verify all weights at CAT scales several times a year. I burned through a set of these tires in a year - roughly 10,000km. That was a trip to Florida and all over Ontario. Obviously not thrilled with their performance. Rotated once. Checked prior to leaving for Florida (5000km round trip), and they did not need rotating. On return, backs are at wear markers, but worn perfectly evenly. On my 2014 prior I ran the Michelin LTX AT2's and they were alright. Living in Ontario, I need tires that will also work in the snow. Any recommendations? Lots of people online say the Bridgestone Duravis R500HD but they don't fit my truck. The Dueler HT685 does. Or the Michelin LTX AT2. Any other suggestions? With thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jeffrey28bh; 01-03-2024 at 02:46 PM.
    2021 Reflection 28BH Fifth Wheel
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax SRW

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers until I had 2 break belts at nearly the same time.

I now have Goodyear DuraTrac tires on. Pretty aggressive tread but still have good road manners.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I had been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers until I had 2 break belts at nearly the same time.

I now have Goodyear DuraTrac tires on. Pretty aggressive tread but still have good road manners.
    Thank you!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running Toyo Open Country AT tires. Also in Ontario but much further north than you....they are a great tire in the -20* snow....and quiet on the highway.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best tire I have found is the Cooper Discoverer AT3 for towing heavy. The tire has a stiffer sidewall for towing, and is surprisingly good off-road. I only have limited experience with them in snow, but they did well, and are snow rated.

I also really like the Falken AT/3 tire. It is snow rated, and has a pretty nice ride for a truck tire. I would have kept them, but for the heavier pin weight (2,900 lbs), the Coopers were better for me. For your weight, they would be great. Great traction and performance in heavy rain, off-road, and I thought I was in a Cadillac with them. No real experience in snow with them.

*I don't do serious off-road with my truck, only dirt/muddy rocky roads.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Best tire I have found is the Cooper Discoverer AT3 for towing heavy. The tire has a stiffer sidewall for towing, and is surprisingly good off-road. I only have limited experience with them in snow, but they did well, and are snow rated.

I also really like the Falken AT/3 tire. It is snow rated, and has a pretty nice ride for a truck tire. I would have kept them, but for the heavier pin weight (2,900 lbs), the Coopers were better for me. For your weight, they would be great. Great traction and performance in heavy rain, off-road, and I thought I was in a Cadillac with them. No real experience in snow with them.

*I don't do serious off-road with my truck, only dirt/muddy rocky roads.
    Thank you very much for this information. I am going to look into the Coopers. Much appreciated.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's not a great advertisement for the Goodyear. My truck came with the Michelin LTX AT2's and I really like them. I can't speak for the snow but they have handled everything else very well. They have almost 19,000 on them now and tread depth looks not far off from new.
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey28bh View Post
    Hi All, thanks for reading this. I searched but did not find the answer here. My truck has the Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT's that it came with. It's a 3500 SRW Duramax. 275/65/20
    I pull a Reflection 28 BH with pin weight no greater than 1700lbs. I verify all weights at CAT scales several times a year. I burned through a set of these tires in a year - roughly 10,000km. That was a trip to Florida and all over Ontario. Obviously not thrilled with their performance. Rotated once. Checked prior to leaving for Florida (5000km round trip), and they did not need rotating. On return, backs are at wear markers, but worn perfectly evenly. On my 2014 prior I ran the Michelin LTX AT2's and they were alright. Living in Ontario, I need tires that will also work in the snow. Any recommendations? Lots of people online say the Bridgestone Duravis R500HD but they don't fit my truck. The Dueler HT685 does. Or the Michelin LTX AT2. Any other suggestions? With thanks in advance.
    Interesting you burned them so quickly. I have them on my 2020 Sierra HD With a Duramax and pulled my previous Momentum, and my horse trailer and have 35,000 Miles on mine and they are still in "ok" shape. If we lived somewhere with SNOW I would replace them but in NC we dont get snow. Maybe your batch was bad, not sure, but mine have heavy tow miles on them and I rotated them religiously. Sorry to hear they are torched so fast.
    your original ask was for tire recommendations. I would have recommended the tires you have given my son and I have the same truck and had good luck with them both pulling alot, plus in town driving during "HOT" summers with pretty heavy loads.
    Last edited by msutoad; 01-04-2024 at 03:41 PM.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Interesting you burned them so quickly. I have them on my 2020 Sierra HD With a Duramax and pulled my previous Momentum, and my horse trailer and have 35,000 Miles on mine and they are still in "ok" shape. If we lived somewhere with SNOW I would replace them but in NC we dont get snow. Maybe your batch was bad, not sure, but mine have heavy tow miles on them and I rotated them religiously. Sorry to hear they are torched so fast.
    your original ask was for tire recommendations. I would have recommended the tires you have given my son and I have the same truck and had good luck with them both pulling alot, plus in town driving during "HOT" summers with pretty heavy loads.
    thanks for your info. i have thought about it a lot and am still confused as to why mine went so fast. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey28bh View Post
    I will second a vote for the Cooper Discoverer's. I run the 20" tires on my Duramax also. Have about 16,000 miles on them. Quiet, aggressive and do well in snow. The weight rating is also more than adequate.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast