User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hwy 93 from Twin Falls Idaho

Heading to Waco, Texas for the solar eclipse from home here in Grangeville, Idaho. Thinking about taking Hwy 93 south out of Twin Falls, Idaho to Las Vegas. Has anyone taken that route and what are the roads and fuel stops like?
    Have taken the Ogden, Salt Lake City, Provo stretch many times and looking for something different without that long stretch of city driving.
    Thanks all for your input.
    Rod
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R, 3rd AC, tankless hot water, Splendide stacked W/D.
    2021 Ram Bighorn, HO, Aisin, Delmonico Red, long bed, 3500 , auto leveling, TTPMS, Reese GooseBox., Haloview rear and side cameras.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went down 93 from Twin Falls as far as Caliente. I don't remember it being bad. Not exactly the scenic route, but the roads seemed fine. We didn't have any issues with getting fuel. We went that way to avoid the city traffic on I-15.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Hoopy. The other option is to take I84 at Ogden to I80 then towards Denver. 3 hours faster and I'm sure more scenic.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it in December 2021 south to north. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the road was. We took Highway 6/318 between Ely and Hiko. It's shorter but less scenic. As I drove it at night, I didn't care. It's the route the truckers take.

If I was going from Twin Falls to Las Vegas, it's the route I would take again. Driving the Ogden-Salt Lake-Provo stretch is a real PITA and is longer. Depending upon your tank size, fuel up in Ely if you take the 6/318 cutoff. That is one desolate stretch of country. If you stay on 93 through Pioche and Caliente, you should have more refueling options (although I have not driven that stretch).
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't driven I-70 through Denver since before the turn of the century, and I hated it then. Maybe it isn't as bad, but considering the growth of Denver, that seems unlikely. Anymore I try to avoid the larger cites when possible.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourwheelrod View Post
    Heading to Waco, Texas for the solar eclipse from home here in Grangeville, Idaho. Thinking about taking Hwy 93 south out of Twin Falls, Idaho to Las Vegas. Has anyone taken that route and what are the roads and fuel stops like?
    Have taken the Ogden, Salt Lake City, Provo stretch many times and looking for something different without that long stretch of city driving.
    Thanks all for your input.
    Rod
    Rod, we drove that complete stretch a couple years ago. Nothing really unusual or difficult that I remember. It was during late fall or winter and we did an overnight in Alamo (near Crystal Springs) and also Jackpot when I got a poopsickle! very memorable. Wells and Ely have ample fuel stations for big rigs. Where we stayed in Alamo, a nice fuel up for big rigs also. Only a few pumps but in the middle of nowhere, convenient for us. Where #93 meets #15 just North of Vegas is a large Love's also.

It's funny you mention the Eclipse. We are going also, and will be SW of Waco near Lampasas but we are traveling SLC and through 4 corners area. We will also get to visit my son who is in Temple, TX just South of where you will be headed.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I haven't driven I-70 through Denver since before the turn of the century, and I hated it then. Maybe it isn't as bad, but considering the growth of Denver, that seems unlikely. Anymore I try to avoid the larger cites when possible.
    Same here. A few years ago we went through Denver and unfortunately hit the toll road. That wasn't cheap or fun. Told my Garmin GPS no tolls so we'll see how that works out if we go that way. Kind of leaning that direction.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Rod, we drove that complete stretch a couple years ago. Nothing really unusual or difficult that I remember. It was during late fall or winter and we did an overnight in Alamo (near Crystal Springs) and also Jackpot when I got a poopsickle! very memorable. Wells and Ely have ample fuel stations for big rigs. Where we stayed in Alamo, a nice fuel up for big rigs also. Only a few pumps but in the middle of nowhere, convenient for us. Where #93 meets #15 just North of Vegas is a large Love's also.

It's funny you mention the Eclipse. We are going also, and will be SW of Waco near Lampasas but we are traveling SLC and through 4 corners area. We will also get to visit my son who is in Temple, TX just South of where you will be headed.
    Hey Tom,
    Thanks for the info. After Waco we head to north west Houston to help out sister in law who's having a hip replacement then on to San Antonio before it gets too hot. (Hopefully). Not sure though I'm going to be much help with sister in law. Still hobbling around after a total knee replacement Jan. 30.