Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Solitude 375RES-R inverter not powering refrigerator

Hello all... This is my first post on the My Grand RV forum. Thank you for your help in advance.

We purchased our 375RES-R this past February. Our "Maiden Voyage" was dry camping at a NASCAR track the middle of March. We have the Onan 5500 Watt LP Generator with an inverter installed.

After killing the Onan Generator and turning on the invertor switch under the cabinet by the thermostat the LG residential refrigerator will run for a few minutes, meaning that when the door is opened the lights are on the temperature display is lite. After a few minutes when the door is opened there are no lights and temperature display is out. We can cut the invertor switch under the cabinet off and on and can visibly watch the refrigerator lights and temperature display come on and go off after a few moments. Beverages are not cold when we return a few hours later. The refrigerator is not running. Batteries are charged and holding a charge.

I talked to Grand Design Tech Support and our dealership. Grand Design says there is a reset on the inverter and that it's located in the pass through storage behind the felt board. Our dealership is indicating that there is no reset on the inverter and that this something they will need to look at, maybe even replace the inverter. Their first available appointment is late in May. Our next outing is scheduled in early May dry camping at another NASCAR track.

Any words of wisdom, recommendations, etc...?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this is the inverter that is in my 2018 377 http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...00-Manual1.pdf . Not sure if its still the same one being used now. I don't see a reset button but there is a fuse, it would be worth a look. Mine is behind the panel in the front basement.

I've never had anything happen like what your describing. It definitely sounds like a bad inverter. The fact that it start and stops doesn't sound good.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the same inverter installed in my 375 when I had it converted to the residential fridge by my dealer. They ordered it from Grand Design in fact. I think I would pull the wall in the front compartment and check all the connections and make sure
    the inverter is plugged in properly. Also make sure the connections from the battery to the inverter are good. That's probably a good place to start.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Hello all... This is my first post on the My Grand RV forum. Thank you for your help in advance.

We purchased our 375RES-R this past February. Our "Maiden Voyage" was dry camping at a NASCAR track the middle of March. We have the Onan 5500 Watt LP Generator with an inverter installed.

After killing the Onan Generator and turning on the invertor switch under the cabinet by the thermostat the LG residential refrigerator will run for a few minutes, meaning that when the door is opened the lights are on the temperature display is lite. After a few minutes when the door is opened there are no lights and temperature display is out. We can cut the invertor switch under the cabinet off and on and can visibly watch the refrigerator lights and temperature display come on and go off after a few moments. Beverages are not cold when we return a few hours later. The refrigerator is not running. Batteries are charged and holding a charge.

I talked to Grand Design Tech Support and our dealership. Grand Design says there is a reset on the inverter and that it's located in the pass through storage behind the felt board. Our dealership is indicating that there is no reset on the inverter and that this something they will need to look at, maybe even replace the inverter. Their first available appointment is late in May. Our next outing is scheduled in early May dry camping at another NASCAR track.

Any words of wisdom, recommendations, etc...?

Thanks again in advance for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    That's the same inverter installed in my 375 when I had it converted to the residential fridge by my dealer. They ordered it from Grand Design in fact. I think I would pull the wall in the front compartment and check all the connections and make sure
    the inverter is plugged in properly. Also make sure the connections from the battery to the inverter are good. That's probably a good place to start.
    While doing the checks that TX has suggested, Check with a volt meter the in voltage 12v dc and out voltage 20v AC.

Our inverter was bad at the PDI. I contacted Grand Design and they sent me a new one. It's pretty easy to replace. You need to disconnect the battery and unplug the RV. Bring a trouble light in with you and replace.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your input. I plan to get in there myself and see what's up. I'll report back my findings.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is a little different. Thought our inverter’s was bad because would not power our fridge when hooked up to tow vehicle. Unhooked tow vehicle and inverter powered fridge???

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydS View Post
    My problem is a little different. Thought our inverter’s was bad because would not power our fridge when hooked up to tow vehicle. Unhooked tow vehicle and inverter powered fridge???
    Your rv batteries should power your inverter for frig with or without your tow vehicle connected. Do you have the battery disconnect in the on position (red key will not come out)?
    KEN
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So yes battery switch in the on position, otherwise wouldn’t have worked without the tow vehicle connected. Heard something somewhere else about a fuse to get it to work with the tow vehicle connected

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydS View Post
    So yes battery switch in the on position, otherwise wouldn’t have worked without the tow vehicle connected. Heard something somewhere else about a fuse to get it to work with the tow vehicle connected
    Plugging it the cord from the truck should make no difference. It should charge the batteries a bit.

Does a fuse on the truck pop?

What are the symptoms you are seeing? KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check the umbilical cord wiring with this.

FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast