Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty of A/C Units

I am the second owner of a 351M, I bought it in 2019, and it is listed as a 2018, but was really a '19 because it was built at the transition months between the '18s and '19s. The bedroom AC isnt cooling properly, ive looked it over up top and down inside the room, and dont see anything obviously wrong.
    Would this unit still be in warranty, and where there any issues with these Coleman units that i should check.
    Thanks
    M

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Call Grand design with your VIN to determine the "placed in service" date for your warranties.
    GD's "structural" warranty is on their web site. Part of it is transferrable to subsequent owners.
    Your AC is not "structural" for the unit itself. Here's a link to Colemans site, with its warranties: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ty-information
    If within the window, and an extension was not purchased, it sounds like the two year coverage IS transferrable.

But your problem may be more to do with ducting than your AC itself. So find out what coverage you may still have, and then take it to a dealer to have them check it out. A call to GD AND Coleman should be placed to "mark" that your issue was brought up before warranty expiration, even if the dealer takes forever to get to it or tries to tell you there is no coverage. GD likely will also be able to give good advice as to best way to proceed getting it resolved.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a second owner, you won't have any warranty coverage unless the original owner had some sort of transferable third-party extended warranty that went into your purchase.

Generally speaking, the unit likely has lost its charge. Further generally speaking, RV air conditioners are typically considered closed, non-serviceable refrigerant systems. Sometimes you can find an HVAC tech willing to braze ports on, buy it's rare and the overall service cost already gets you halfway to the purchase price of a new unit...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Call Grand design with your VIN to determine the "placed in service" date for your warranties.
    GD's "structural" warranty is on their web site. Part of it is transferrable to subsequent owners.
    Your AC is not "structural" for the unit itself. Here's a link to Colemans site, with its warranties: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ty-information
    If within the window, and an extension was not purchased, it sounds like the two year coverage IS transferrable.

But your problem may be more to do with ducting than your AC itself. So find out what coverage you may still have, and then take it to a dealer to have them check it out. A call to GD AND Coleman should be placed to "mark" that your issue was brought up before warranty expiration, even if the dealer takes forever to get to it or tries to tell you there is no coverage. GD likely will also be able to give good advice as to best way to proceed getting it resolved.
    Thanks for the information, but i cannot take it to a dealer becuae im working out of town and using the RV for my housing. Im in a remote area (about 35 miles from a decent sized town) and will have to see about a service tech that can come to me

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought these were "closed" systems. Whether i have the vents set to go to the ducts or opened and blowing locally, it is not getting cold. It acts just like a vehicle would thats low on freon. It will not cool below about 74-75 deg.
    Sucks that a two year old unit is failing. Is there a low switch or other electonics that i can look at? Maybe a new board or something? I have replaced AC units before on my past RVs and want to prevent having to go that far.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the compressor runs as well as the fan, which sounds like it is, 9 out of 10 times the refrigerant has escaped.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You seem to have defined the issue well. GD has been known to pay some or all of the costs of a remote tech for warranty work. This may get a bit more complex, depending on your warranty status and that both GD and Coleman are involved. But first call is to GD to verify your warranty start dates.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)