Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2600 RB With new brakes but uneven braking

Hi All,

First real ask post.

I have a 2018 GD Imagine 2600RB with around 14k logged. Still have the OEM Westlakes with no signs of deterioration. We have not had any significant issues with the RV to date.

On last trip at a routine rest area stop, I checked the tire temp and hub temps with my infrared gun and noticed that one hub was running cold (~90 F) and one was significantly warmer than the other two (~125 F vs 110 F). This remained consistent for the remainder of the trip. While homeward bound, my Toyota Tundra alerted that the trailer had disconnected. At the next stop, was able to confirm that the lights all worked but the electric brakes did not. Limped home. Threw the trailer up on jack stands and found two of the 3M wiring connectors had a broken wire which explains the sudden loss of brakes and the alert. I pulled the hubs and found grease leaking past the seals on all four wheels but it had only fouled one set of shoes significantly. Further investigation showed that I have 2017 Lippert axles which could explain the early leakage.

I ordered new Dexter hub assemblies and upgrading to the self adjusting mechanism. Eastern Marine had them for $66 ea, which is the cheapest I could find. Full clean and inspection found one inner bearing race with 0.0008 clearance to the hub instead of an interference fit. I removed the race and reassembled with Loctite bearing mount. Cleaned and repacked the bearings with Lucas Red N Tacky and installed new Dexter triple lip, marine seals. They are rubber coated on the outer portion of the seal which is supposed to seal better. NAPA turned all of the existing drum surfaces, including the magnetic face. During installation, I replaced all of the existing wiring connections with new 3M connectors at each of the hubs (same as OEM). I manually adjusted the shoes and then tested the brakes while on the jack stands. What I found while testing manually was that one brake assembly grabbed much tighter than the others, two were the same and one did almost nothing. I pulled that hub, applied the E-brakes and confirmed that the magnet was working by sticking a wrench to it. I did not test the resistance of each hub's magnet before installing but should have in retrospect. I did measure the assembled résistance of the trailer brakes as 0.9 Ohms, which is correct for four parallel 3.2 Ohm magnets.

At this point, I feel there is either an electrical issue causing a voltage drop for some of the brakes or I have a bad magnet. My question is...

Has anyone else had a similar issue? What did you find? How did you resolve?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance provided.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the strong brake and weak same axle? Strong at the side where you have three wires in each to splice? If that sounds right, you might have corrosion up in the wire. Ohm them out and it'll tell the story (or measure the current).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywelle View Post
    At this point, I feel there is either an electrical issue causing a voltage drop for some of the brakes or I have a bad magnet. My question is...

Has anyone else had a similar issue? What did you find?.
    Adding wires on other side from j-box may help -
    Trailer braking is weak... maybe? https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ak-maybe/page3
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Test for voltage drop on each leg of the circuit. Google "how to" if needed. I just went through similar on my boat for a different situation. I'd guess corroded wiring/connection or faulty splice. Just measuring resistance may give false readings.

In my case, we also had a "trailer wring fault" issue on the last trip. Turned out that not only some of the external wires had been chafed, but there were spots inside the axle missing insulation (!) In sharing the story, a number of buddy's with older non-GD Rv's noted their dislike of that setup, and had rerouted the electrical outside the axle, using various methods to prevent any possible wiring chafe.

Any reason you went with Dexter for the Lippert axle, rather than Lippert's version?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Test for voltage drop on each leg of the circuit. Google "how to" if needed. I just went through similar on my boat for a different situation. I'd guess corroded wiring/connection or faulty splice. Just measuring resistance may give false readings.

In my case, we also had a "trailer wring fault" issue on the last trip. Turned out that not only some of the external wires had been chafed, but there were spots inside the axle missing insulation (!) In sharing the story, a number of buddy's with older non-GD Rv's noted their dislike of that setup, and had rerouted the electrical outside the axle, using various methods to prevent any possible wiring chafe.

Any reason you went with Dexter for the Lippert axle, rather than Lippert's version?
    Will check voltages this morning. No definitive reason for Dexter over Lippert. Dexter had a two year warranty where Lippert has a one year warranty. However, I had not visited the Lippert direct site before and now realize that the Lippert version was substantially cheaper than the Dexter. I was in a hurry to get parts ordered to insure trailer was moved before HOA started bitching. Need to slow down next time..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywelle View Post
    Will check voltages this morning. No definitive reason for Dexter over Lippert. Dexter had a two year warranty where Lippert has a one year warranty. However, I had not visited the Lippert direct site before and now realize that the Lippert version was substantially cheaper than the Dexter. I was in a hurry to get parts ordered to insure trailer was moved before HOA started bitching. Need to slow down next time..
    Lt front 12.4v Rt front 10v, will commence with a rewiring next weekend.