Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Please Identify + How worried I should be

Hi everyone - while camping this past week in Death Valley (side note: Do it! Lots of fun), I noticed a cable dangling beneath my Imagine 22MLE just a few inches from the ground. The cable is shielded in a red colored rubber and connects via (what looks like) electrical connectors to two other wires. This MAY be the connections that power the electrical brake, but I have nothing to back up that guess.

Here is a picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2543.jpeg 
Views:	203 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	30919

I'm hoping you can help me out by 1) Identifying what it is, if you know; 2) Should it be dangling like that? I am guessing no; and 3) If it shouldn't be dangling like that, where should it be wrapped/stored/zip-tied?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    [RIP] 2010 Coleman Utah Pop-Up

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_nyne View Post
    Hi everyone - while camping this past week in Death Valley (side note: Do it! Lots of fun), I noticed a cable dangling beneath my Imagine 22MLE just a few inches from the ground. The cable is shielded in a red colored rubber and connects via (what looks like) electrical connectors to two other wires. This MAY be the connections that power the electrical brake, but I have nothing to back up that guess.

Here is a picture:

I'm hoping you can help me out by 1) Identifying what it is, if you know; 2) Should it be dangling like that? I am guessing no; and 3) If it shouldn't be dangling like that, where should it be wrapped/stored/zip-tied?

I can try and help. 1) is it on the street side or curb side. Anyway we can get more pics 2) No 3) is everything in the rig working correctly?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that those are the wires for the brakes on that side of the axel the white wires to to. They should be up and out of the way. Maybe some cable ties or some tape allowing enough slack so the suspension system can travel up and down.

others will chime in soon....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are definitely brake wires. The 2 white wires should go through your axle and come out in the same spot on the other side. From the picture it looks like one of the connectors on the white wires only has the one white wire, there should be 2 wires coming out of each of those connectors. Hopefully it's just the angle of the picture. The wires should be secured with zip ties and not dangling around like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @FT4NOW & @traveldawg above. Seems like a lot of slack for those wires, but before you take up the slack, make sure the axles don’t flex so much that you might need all of that slack. They do seem quite long though. Also make sure you avoid any potential chafe-points that will wear through the wires as the suspension flexes. Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third vote for brake wires. While you have them out jam a multimeter in them while someone applies the brakes to if you get juice. Otherwise zip tie and forget.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_nyne View Post

Here is a picture:

Others already identified it as brake wires, I'll add a caution. The zip-tie on the axle is what was used to secure the red cable to it and it appears to have slipped or the wire pulled through it.
    I recently had a blow out that made me aware of some of what I believe are serious safety concerns. When the tread peeled off the tire the gas line was snapped at the quick connect. Since the valve was open and the nipple of the male fitting was left in gas was allowed to escape until I got pulled over. Seeing the gas line I had the presence of mind to shut the tank off. I later found the nipple connecting the quick connect fitting to the T-block was cracked and it all fell off into my hand when was I feeling around for damage.
    The zip-tie on that same wire on my axle was missing so I'm assuming the tread caught the wire and pulled it breaking the tie. Fortunately the wire was unharmed and I was able to secure it with another zip tie.
    I also found the wire to the slide motors was pulled away and hanging free. I guess I was lucky and these critical systems were easily secured on the side of the road or reattached once I got to the next destination 200 miles away and 800 miles from home.
    I have someone looking into getting the damage from the blowout repaired and securing, relocating or rerouting the gas hose and wires.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-29-2020 at 05:32 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am guessing the red cable runs up into the belly through a small hole. Just push the slack back up and seal the hole so it will not come back out. When I dropped my coroplast (belly fabric) I found my brake wire had a lot of slack and GD just had it pushed up and laying on the fabric.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the insights and replies. It sounds like I need to do the following then?

1) feed excess red wire into body cavity and fill hole w/ silicone sealant
    2) zip tie the remaining white wires to the axle and leave a little slack to account for suspension movement

Sound right?
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    [RIP] 2010 Coleman Utah Pop-Up

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Brakes wires. I've had to rework those on three different trailers. Verify that all of the wire nuts of, hopefully, crimp caps are, in fact, tight, then buy long zip-ties and go to town. The main goal is to make sure that they are not only clear of the ground but that they can't flop around while the axle is following the road.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast