User Tag List

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    The vast majority of trailer tire blowouts and issues are heat related....and it's not necessarily ambient heat....it under-inflated tires. And as we all know, under-inflated for the load that they are carrying causes the tires to flex a lot more, and the "flexing a lot more" leads to the tire over heating the tire pressure goes through the roof. BOOM!
    You ought to see the road gators "thrown recaps" down here in South Louisiana in the summer. You'd be surprised how many commercial drivers won't check their tires daily much less add air. I started driving trucks in the early 70's and we still were running nylon tube type tires. We would get tires recapped and run them on the trailer and sometimes on the rear of the tractor. We later went to Michelin radials on Alcoa wheels and man what a difference. This was in 1980 and on a W900A model KW. I've still got the Westlakes on my Solitude but they are 14 ply G rated and no problems with them so far. Still liked the Sailuns I had on our 371 Fuzion we had before. Saw Made In China and thought they were crap and boy I was wrong. Sorry to get off the speed subject but just wanted to mention to be careful with the trailer tires you're running at high speeds.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    In light of the recent TT accident in Idaho which left a 350 dangling by its safety chains and speed was a factor. I have been thinking about perhaps asking a purely constructive question and perhaps educational for some of our new to TT towing crowd.
    How many folks actually drag their rig at 70 + mph. because of posted speed limit or “the traffic was moving that fast”?
    In the articles I read, I didn't see anything that says speed was a factor.

That said, it's a safe bet that no matter what the speed we go, 60, 65,70, faster, speed can always be cited as a factor.

That said I typically go 63. Have been up to 70 and a couple MPH over that when passing someone who is in that sweet spot of being too slow for my 63, but not doing 70 in the right lane.

My tires are rated for up to 80.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    In the articles I read, I didn't see anything that says speed was a factor.

That said, it's a safe bet that no matter what the speed we go, 60, 65,70, faster, speed can always be cited as a factor.

That said I typically go 63. Have been up to 70 and a couple MPH over that when passing someone who is in that sweet spot of being too slow for my 63, but not doing 70 in the right lane.

My tires are rated for up to 80.

Mike
    This excerpt is from another forum, I did not post it in the original posting because it was not from an official agency, no disrespect to the poster. We’ve all seen these new rigs in the left lane with knees in the breeze. This is a stark reminder of how quickly things go bad by not adjusting speed to the conditions. I always pray I don’t see them later.

“I saw a post on this late last night from somebody who actually worked the scene on another forum I frequent. It is a more detailed account of what happened than what I've seen reported in the media. Below is the first post of that thread - additional posts are just commenting on these details”

"Stark reality of speed and sway

This accident happened today in Idaho. Excessive speed, sway, and load mis-management each played a part in this accident. Luckily my rescue team was fortunate enough to rescue both occupants and 2 dogs from this crash.

This F350 single rear wheel truck was equipped with a Reese WDH with a sway bar, but he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack.

The skid marks told the story, with evidence of multiple sway action as he entered a curve on the interstate, which in Idaho has a speed limit of 80 mph. The trailer overtook the truck, causing it to Jack knife, the trailer contacted the right Jersey barrier, and pushed the truck over the left Jersey barrier and over the side of the bridge. The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain until emergency crews arrived and secured it with 3 heavy chains to a semi truck who happened to be right behind the accident. The bridge crosses a deep, narrow gorge (approximately 150 feet deep), which had the single remaining chain failed, the truck would have plummeted to the bottom.

In December a similar accident happened in our region where a 1/2 ton truck slid on an icy curve and plummeted 280 feet, killing a father and son. In that incident the complete receiver hitch failed tearing free from the truck, the trailer was approximately 32-34 feet long, again probably over the truck’s recommend capacity.

Reality strikes when load limits are not followed! Please stop asking if my truck can pull my trailer. Please follow the recommendations and KNOW your truck and trailer are a good match, and slow down!"
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65 MPH is my default speed for towing on highways and freeways. I will go higher on those very rare occasions when I pass someone. Before I ordered my truck, I confirmed 65 MPH was right in the sweet spot of the torque curve and it is. I also watch tire pressure and have no problem in Arizona in the summer (but it is pushing +20% pressure rise). The stock trailer brakes are nothing to brag about, and stopping distance is always on my mind. Finally, I am retired and on vacation. None of these give me much incentive to go faster.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    63 - 67 mph is my sweet spot and our comfort zone as well.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger I'll admit to being really dumb and pulling my TT way to fast for a short period. Nothing bad happened, but I never did it again. Now that I am older, and pulling a much bigger rig, I stay as close as possible to 65 on the interstates. I find that I stress myself out a lot less when I take it easy and relax. Knowing that the trailer I'm pulling is twice as heavy as the TT was makes me a much more careful driver. We also have the grand kids with us a few times a year. My granddaughter is a great backseat driver, with backup from MIMI, who taught her everything she knows and then some. Yep, the slower pace suits me now...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually run with traffic....75 is my personal top speed under ideal conditions. Cool, sparse traffic, good weather.
    One point, If you need to pass, do faster than .01 mph faster in the fast lane, or don't pass.
    Use common sense, for example, if it's 95 degrees, slow down, save your tires. Windy, do the same.
    2021 GD 260RD
    2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 65 for me, and I don't use the cruse control...I like to be in control.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally travel at 60 mph going up to 65 on occasions, I have towed boats for years, but am relatively new to towing a 5th wheel. The tires on our 295 RL are rated at 60. A blowout is my worst fear and something I don't want to deal with, luckily I have a TPMS.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go 65-70.
    Occasionally 75 to pass somebody going 55-60.

When I first got the camper, I caught myself barreling down the Interstate at 75mph
    alongside the trucks, and just felt it was unsafe.

All in all, I'd say 67 is the sweet spot.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast