User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pater C View Post
    I have a few trips and several hundred miles on the Sumo Springs. They are a noticeable improvement and eliminated the proposing issue I had. However, I still got a lot of energy transfer from the trailer to my truck on a few select roads. I decided to add the Boss hitch from GEN-Y to my WDH setup. I have not been back to those roads yet, but my test runs while readjusting my WDH have been great. Gen-Y claims that their hitch limits 90% of the energy transfer to the truck. Attachment 33183
    I will be following you posts as I'm also thinking of getting a Gen-Y hitch. It would be nice to get a real world opinion.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One additional quick note, if you do have to re-route your propane or brake lines it's a lot easier that I thought at first glance. I essentially just tore off the spray foam (was going to cut it but knives and propane lines don't work well together , then used the included hardware from Sumo Springs (not a separate kit, it's all in there) to move the lines out from the area, then re-spray foamed it to firm up the line again. A lot easier than I thought it was going to be because initially it didn't look like there was sufficient slack in the line to move a couple of inches inboard, that wasn't an issue after all. So, in summary, don't overthink it like I did initially. Also, I would wait until you are on a good decently level concrete pad...I felt like there were just too many variables on big gravel to lift the trailer. I used a 20-ton bottle jack sitting on 4 Oak 4x4 (two levels). Not sure if that's industry best practice but it worked great on the concrete pad.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Would you mind sharing why you ultimately went with the Roadmaster shocks on your rig? Was there a reason your friend decided on Sumo's instead for their Forest River?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wanting to add Sumo springs to my Momentun. My question is how does the same spring that works for a 3000lb axle work for a 8000lb axle. Seems like you would need a heaver rated for 8000lb.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by callagp7552 View Post
    Rob,
    Would you mind sharing why you ultimately went with the Roadmaster shocks on your rig? Was there a reason your friend decided on Sumo's instead for their Forest River?
    Sure! For me I suspected what I really wanted was dampening for both extension and compression of the suspension. I was able to use my nephew's GoPro with magnet base and recorded the action of the suspension over some fantastically beaten PA roads. Once rolling over extended stretches of uneven patching and potholes, the Solitude would get to bouncing. The equalizer has its limitations, even with upgrading to the CRE. After watching that video, I knew shocks were my right path.

On the Forest River the axles are wide-spaced and the spring arch is mild. So, geometrically the shocks would have been too flat/horizontal. Further, the beam is much lighter weight on that rig, and the Lippert frames used on them are known to rupture under the flexure of the spring mounts twisting on them. That's why I boxed and gusseted the spring hangers and we added the X-factor braces. Moreover, after a 8800 mile trip around the country, the original springs went flat from fatigue so seemed like the Sumos were the best solution. They towed is about 700 miles Easter weekend and thrilled with the difference too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    I'm wanting to add Sumo springs to my Momentun. My question is how does the same spring that works for a 3000lb axle work for a 8000lb axle. Seems like you would need a heaver rated for 8000lb.
    I can't claim to know much about the product but on their website: https://www.supersprings.com/product...r-sumosprings/ they have what appears to be different products for different weight rated axles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by callagp7552 View Post
    I can't claim to know much about the product but on their website: https://www.supersprings.com/product...r-sumosprings/ they have what appears to be different products for different weight rated axles.
    Thanks I'll take another look.
    2021 351MR

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed my sumo's back in February but was in place in Texas for the winter. We hit the road end of March and I could tell a great improvement on decent road. We just finished a trip from the SanAntonio area through Louisiana on I-10 and then up I-59 into Mississippi. Those roads are so bad I could not tell if the Sumo's were making a difference or not. I admit my truck could probably use new shocks. We arrived at our next stop though and the wife felt that things did not get tossed as bad as usual in the trailer. So I guess they worked as advertised. I am happy with the purchase and the time it took to install.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you that have installed the sumo's did you trim the coroplast or just let sumo ride against it?
    2021 351MR

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    There are two different capacity springs...one is for lighter axles and the other for heavier. I don't recall the exact weight ranges.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast